Pre-match: 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup Group Stage: USA vs Panama

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Group Stage
    USA vs Panama
    July 8th, 2017
    4:30 PM (ET)
    Nissan Stadium
    Nashville, Tennessee
    TV: FOX, Univision, UDN

Panama Squad:

[​IMG]

Dr. Gamera and wixson7 repped this.
  2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see no reason we can't experiment a good amount beyond the info provided from the Ghana game, because it's a foregone conclusion we'll advance anyway. And we should be able to get a result vs. Panama regardless. I know what happened last Gold Cup, but that was Klinsmann using inadequate players and a mismatched tactic. Experimentation is needed, when ko's are when the loss can hurt you, and the other two matches against Nicaragua and Martinique are going to tell us effectively nothing.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Bruce Arena will probably lean heavily on the veterans in the group for this match, especially in central midfield and the backline:

----------Acosta---McCarty----------
    Villafana--Besler--Gonzalez--Zusi
    -----------------Guzan-----------------

The front 4 is tougher to project, IMO. I expect Bedoya, but I'm not sure about the other 3 players.

IndividualEleven and deuteronomy repped this.
  4. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but finishing 2nd in the group is likely the difference between getting a quarter final against Honduras or Costa Rica or a quarterfinal against a team like Curacao or El Salvador. I think we'll go with something close to The Ghana XI against Panama and then get experimental later

2in10, UnitedBorn, goussoccer and 4 others repped this.
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Honduras or Costa Rica at home should hardly intimidate us at this point. I say bring it on. Whatever happens happens.

Experimenting later doesn't do anything because there is no later. Martinique and Nicaragua tell us nothing, and fat chance it's done in the ko stages. Unless you're endorsing that.

imasyko repped this.
  6. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panama has played us tough in every Gold Cup for the past dozen years or so. All draws or one goal games. They've beaten us twice (once in penalties). While we are favored, I don't think we should take a result for granted.

Not winning the group could very well result in a quarterfinal matchup against Costa Rica.

So I fully expect Arena is going to play what he thinks his best XI. I doubt there will be more than 1-3 changes from the Ghana lineup.

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----------Agudelo-----
    -----------Acosta
    ----------Corona------
    ----Saief--------Roldan
    ------------Dax-----------
    Villafana-----------Lichaj
    --------Besler--Miazga---
    -----------Hamid----------

442 diamond essentially.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if we draw against Panama, if we pound Martinique and Nicaragua more than they do, which we are better equipped to do, we win the group. And like I said, don't care about playing Costa Rica or especially Honduras. Actually, if we get passed them, like we should, that means more tests than we would get otherwise. We shouldn't forget that should be the primary objective of this tourney - positioning us better for the World Cup + qualifiers.

9. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honduras or Costa Rica in a one off game with a b team is absolutely intimidating. Do I think we'd win? Sure but it'd by no means be a gimme and would be a damn scary opponent for a quarterfinal.

There's still value in seeing how new players do against international competition, and if a couple guys stand out then you give them a shot in the knockout rounds and possibly beyond. I get this tournament is about trying new things, but there is value to winning it. No need to get reckless

Also a lot of US fans are looking at that Martinique game as a cakewalk. Don't get me wrong, they're bad but they're one of the better teams in The Caribbean. IMO that game has ugly 1-0 or 2-0 win written all over it.

2in10 repped this.
  10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Bruce made things difficult with his roster selection of forwards because it looks like he doesn't expect Zardes in mid which is too bad.

So, my own preference, sort of,

--------morris---agudelo----zardes
    --morrow---dax-------Roldan------zusi
    ------------Besler--gonzo----miazga
    ---------------------gk: Guzan

He wont start Roldan and I think he wants Corona in there with Morris used as a sub, plus Zardes is still not totally back from broken foot when it comes to form.

With that in mind, I'm not sure at all what he has in mind for the opener against Panama.

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd simply add my front four on top of your back 7. So a 4-2-3-1.

-------------Dwyer-----------
    Saief------Corona------Arriola

I think Arriola will grow into the GC. I actually think that's what Arena is planning on dependent on Saief gaining fitness.

But with Acosta's ability to get forward it would morph into a 4-1-4-1 at times. Cool with me.

juveeer, Mr Martin and Winoman repped this.
  12. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    It'll be interesting to see what position Bruce sees Saief playing for us. I'd like to see him at LB, personally. He's a much better player than Villafana.

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd start the same XI.

But with a win, my XI for Martinique and Nicaragua

Martinique

---Dwyer--Agudelo----
    Corona-Acosta-Arriola
    ----------McCarty--------
    Lichaj--------------Zusi
    -----Miazga-Gonzo---
    ----------Hamid---------

Subs:
    Morris (Dwyer)
    Roldan (McCarty)
    Zardes (Corona)

Nicaragua

---Dwyer--Morris-----
    Saief-Acosta--Rowe
    ---------Roldan--------
    Morrow-----------Lichaj
    ----Miazga--Hedges--
    -----------Hamid---------

Subs:
    Agudelo (Dwyer)
    Arriola (Morris)
    Corona (Rowe)

Eighteen Alpha and Winoman repped this.
  14. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I think there is an inevitability to this at some point. I like Villafaña. I particularly like that he is a dedicated left back for his club. But if Bruce finds some depth from Saief there, or even Lichaj, that will something to carry going forward.

15. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    We need to use the best 11 vs Panama.

Winning this tournament could be a good boost going forward.

2in10, juveeer, wixson7 and 1 other person repped this.
  16. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    I was more than willing to see what Villafana offered internationally but he's just too slow and positionally unsound at this level, imo. He'd make good depth but honestly, I'd rather have Garza than him at this point.

17. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Yea we'll see. I wonder if Morrow will get a shot. Or is he hurt?

18. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Villafana is good with the ball and smart, he is not too fast and he is small, he won't win many 50/50 balls in concacaf.

juveeer repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is very good, only two changes I might make are making it a 4-3-3 with Saief on the left, Corona the right, Acosta as the CAM instead of SS and potentially replacing Miazga with Hedges, although I understand the dilemma. Hedges might be better now, but Miazga might be a better option for the WC and has more ideal athleticism for the position, especially when you consider some of the other CB options (Brooks, Gonzalez, Zimmerman) are the not the quickest. You gotta get some CB's in there with better mobility to compliment Besler and Cameron (if he's used at CB). Your whole CB position can't be 4 immobile towers.

20. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 back system: LM (or AM)
    3 back system: LWB

I think Arena sees him as more of a 2-way attacking player than a pure FB, but who knows. He could probably get the job done.

21. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Whatever gets Villafana out of there. Saief or Johnson at LM and one at LB would be great. I'm tired of seeing Villafana out of position.

juveeer repped this.
  22. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone
    Does anyone know if this squad is their full-strength team? Any key players missing?

Agreed that Panama is a team to be taken seriously. With the exception of the Jamaica semi disaster last time out, no other team has beaten us in the GC, and Panama has played us close or level all other times. I think we'll win given recent form but will be a fight.

Bajoro and Mr Martin repped this.
  23. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Panama isn't good but they are physical players, we are a team with more muscle than skills, this is why Panama always give us a good fight.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't see Roman Torres.

25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess they're transitioning....

It seems like Panama's golden generation is over. Who is next in CONCACAF? Canadia?

It doesn't seem like CONCACAF got much better. Just the U.S. got worse for a couple years and Costa Rica had a golden generation, or improved permanently. The rest of CONCACAF? Meh.

Mglnbea and ussoccer97531 repped this.