2017 Colorado Buffaloes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Dec 17, 2016.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Got Jukes? repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  6. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    From AllBuffs..."More details later (AztecBuff?), but we have 2 yet to be formally announced new transfers to the Buff Soccer team who are both excellent players...1) Courtney Kaplan, who was highly recruited and played as a Freshman in 2015 at South Carolina...she's from the St. Louis area; and 2) Tatum Barton, who was also highly recruited and played as a Freshman in 2016 at Texas Tech...she was Colorado Player of the Year in 2014, and 1st Team All-State in both 2014 and 2015. Ms. Kaplan seems not to have been on the roster for the 2016 season at South Carolina, but I don't know the reason...injury? She is 5'10" which is always a great asset. Ms. Barton played a lot of minutes for a Freshman and is known to be very aggressive on the ball and in the box. Both of these young ladies should have three years of eligibility remaining. They both played Forward their Freshman years in college. Two terrific additions to an already very strong team. Go Buffs!"

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Picnic at Prentup
    Which turned out to be dinner at Dal Ward due to the possibility of rain.

It was my first time at this event and I thoroughly enjoyed it as there was a rare opportunity to get to know some of the players beyond what I see on the pitch.

There wasn’t much info coming from the coaches, but talking to a few players I was able to obtain some info about injuries.

Stephanie Zuniga is out this fall due an ACL tear and it seems Jorian Baucom maybe as well. She injured her knee before transferring to CU.

JJ Tompkins told me she is 100%. Listening to her and Scout talk to the guests it’s easy to see why they are co-captains this season.

Both Sarah Kinzner and Marty Puketapu told me that they had to leave their respective home countries to find better competition. Kinzner said her coaches were encouraging players to get to the US. Puketapu sold herself to colleges in the US as she wasn’t recruited – she visited Portland, Oregon State and of course CU.

Puketapu hopes to be called up to the NZ national team when they are in Colorado this fall to face the US. She said she most likely wouldn’t get much playing time should she make the team.

Joss Orejel would like to play with the Mexican national team when she is done with college. She has played on their youth teams, but told me that the training camps are in Mexico City so she has turned down call-ups that interfere with classes but this apparently has cost her as there isn’t and understanding by the national team coaches about getting an education.

Sarah Kinzner also turned down a call-up to the Canadian national team for the U-20 World Cup in December ’16 as it would have messed up her education. She too wants to continue to play for Canada.

Brooklyn Varnadore has been medically retired.

Courtney Kaplan was at the event, but isn’t on the online roster.

Season tickets are only $25 this year and a Prentup Pass (tickets, scarf and a reserved seating section at mid-field) is $50.

17. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Dang. Baucum's injury hurts bigtime

18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  19. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very. She was a goal scorer at LSU (33 goals in three seasons) and I kind of assumed she'd be starting at forward this year. OK, so she'll start at forward next year.

20. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sucks about Brooklyn. We only got to see her for part of her freshman year two seasons back, but I was very impressed with her play. I expect that she would have been a starter at defender in the near or immediate future.

I stumbled into a conversation with Courtney last night. She played in eleven games for South Carolina in 2015, and scored a goal against Oklahoma. She didn't play last year, so there are still three years of eligibility. She described herself as a walk-on. She is taller than I am (as are many people) at 5'10" which brings up an observation ... this team is taller than last year, which was noticeably taller than the year before.

Despite the fact that we are set in the net for the foreseeable future, freshman goalkeeper Caitlin McPherson has joined the team. She is six feet tall.

21. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Bummer about Brooklyn V., and Stephanie Z. and Jorian B. We need more depth at D and more experience at F. This may turn-out to be a rebuilding year unless we luck-out and get through the season without key offensive player injuries. Probably Marty P. and Tatum Barton for F starters now...or possibly Camilla S. if her knee is back to 100% or near. May have to move a midfielder up top for F depth and/or give a Freshman F or two some minutes and cheat the midfielders up when possible with Taylor K. and others. Maybe Libby G. can have a breakout rookie campaign...her play reminds me a bit of Anne Stuller's. Glad Courtney Kaplan is still on board...she was in a spring game box score and I was wondering why there hadn't been an announcement about her transferring and why she's not listed on the roster. Looks like she's in the group picture online...#26? Maybe she can play D?

22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder