2017 Colorado Buffaloes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Dec 17, 2016.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

I believe that Puketapu will be the first Buff to play for a full national team while in school at CU.

We all know that Kornieck is a difference maker with the Buffs! It will be interesting to see if she keeps progressing and makes the full US team at some point in the future.

2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    From the NZ head coach Tony Readings: "For Martine up front, it is no secret that we need to score more goals to be more successful. She had a good U-20s World Cup and we want her to carry that form on.”

3. arcadiandj

arcadiandj Member

May 3, 2016
    Go Lady Buffs! #OffSeasonTWICS!

4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Came across this article in All White Kit projecting the 2020 NWSL draft:
    Guess where Taylor Kornieck is projected ? Three of his top five projections are from the Pac 12.

http://www.allwhitekit.com/?m=201702

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

Both goals by . . . you guessed it, Taylor Kornieck. First one on a PK.

Weather was a bit windy and cool.

9. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 2, Northern Colorado 1

Wasn't that warm, but it sure was windy.

Kenzie Tillitt came out of "retirement" to be the goalkeeper. She had a quiet first 30 minutes, then kept us in the game with several good saves. The run of play strongly favored the Buffs for 30 minutes, but then UNC strung a few passes together and Kenzie had to make a diving save. This seemed to add a spark to the Bears, as the rest of the game was much more evenly played. The Buffs were definitely bigger, and both teams were speedy. The first half ended scoreless.

This didn't last long. Taylor Korniek was brought down in the box less than two minutes into the second half, and her penalty kick put the Buffs ahead. Several CU breakaways were saved by the off-sides flag, while Kenzie saved a few good shots. With ten minutes left, Taylor caught a defender leaning the wrong direction and the off-sides flag stayed down, the goalkeeper came out but didn't have much of a chance, 2-0. Four minutes later, UNC intercepted a clearing pass and took the ball to the end line on the right side, the crossing pass found a teammate near the left goalpost and the Bears were on the board. A well-placed UNC corner kick found the head of a tall Buff, and the win was preserved.

Brooklyn Varnadore is back after missing last season due to injury and appears 100%. If anything surprised me, it was how fast UNC is. They always seem to play well against us, and they certainly did today.

10. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Hi Derbarkasmann. Good to see you posting again. I always like your write-up style which I characterize as delightfully partisan but friendly.

Cheers!

11. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The team looked good Sunday for this time of year. No question that Marty Puketapu, and the two transfers already here (Becca Rasmussen and Cassie Phillips) are talented and PAC-12 caliber players and starters. I could say something good about every player out there on Sunday but only have a minute so will limit my comments to saying how great it was to see Brooklyn Varnadore back, to see Isobel Dalton looking good in the midfield, Becca Rasmussen's speed, hustle and technical skills, Erin Greening's usual kick-butt take-no-prisoners style of play, Courtney Fedor's heads-up play on the backline, Joss's steady, controlled play and quiet leadership, and Kelsey Aaknes' skills and field awareness/soccer IQ. And great fun to see Kenzie in goal...she looked good...no surprise there...(except the surprise that she WAS there, LOL.)

12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    This is the first spring in a while where I've had the inclination to attend a match. A big reason why is that many of the key parts are in place for this team. So for once I could get a sense of what's to come in the fall. Unfortunately I couldn't attend on Sunday, but hope to be at the match in a couple of weekends (v. Nebraska I think)

Reading between the tweets on Sunday it seemed that the Kornieck was often finding Puketapu in dangerous areas. Perhaps it will just a take a bit of time for the two to really click.

Hope Scout and JJ get healthy soon and are able to play this spring.

13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  14. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    What has happened to JJ??

15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Apparently both she and Scout Watson are injured, There has been info on them from CU.

16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

19. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    #69 BuffsPios, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Saturday: Wyoming 2, CU 1. Later that day: Colorado School of Mines 1, Wyoming 0. Buffs led 1-0 at the half. Doesn't mean much/anything. Plenty of subbing and experimenting with combinations by the Buff coaches. And in spite of her good and gutsy effort, CU used a GK from the CU Women's Club team due to the injury rehab status of our two GKs, and she got caught out of position for the Wyoming goals. I guess Kenzie wasn't available this week. But CU's backline play admittedly did contribute to the second WY goal. I'm sure that the GK-backline communication wasn't in top form with a GK who they haven't played with before. But again, a gutsy performance by our stand-in GK, and she did make some saves. We had several good chances to score in the 2nd half but just couldn't finish. Credit to a quick WY backline and some nice saves by their GK. Wyoming is a solid team and are 7-1 in the pre-season, but we obviously have a much more talented squad. "That's soccer, that's pre-season." It was good to see Brittney Stark at Prentup again, albeit representing the WY side. She's as fast as ever.

20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder