2017 Colorado Buffaloes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Dec 17, 2016.

1. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woo hoo !!!

Sunday at noon, and I have Sunday off work. I suppose we've had better teams, but I am just so proud of this one, the way they put it all together at the end of the season, four wins and a tie against a very good Arizona team, the last three wins on the road, FIVE shutouts in a row. Winning the last one on the road without our four best forwards, two have been out all season and the other two were unavailable last Friday.

Prediction: We will not beat Denver 6-1 this time. I'll guess 2-0.

We shouldn't look ahead. Looking ahead, if we get past Denver, we go on the road to North Carolina. Last time we did that in the playoffs was the second round three years ago, we had given up one goal in the previous five games and it took them 95 minutes to get one on us.

Santa Clara (go Broncos!) play Cal, again, lost to them 2-1 in August. San Diego State (go Aztecs!) play UCLA, again, lost to them 5-1 in August. Most of the games involve teams that are not that far apart. Like Washington State and Central Florida.

I am a happy soccer fan. Did I already say that ?

2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

Hard to believe Hannah Cardenas isn't one of the top freshmen in the Pac 12 this season.

3. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I agree with you

4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Obviously, I don't watch or know all the defenders on other Pac 12 teams, but from very early on in the season it was obvious that she was playing at a very high level as a key player on the back line.

Hannah started all 20 matches for the Buffs, played the second most minutes on the team after fellow defender Kelsy Aaknes and the Buffs were only scored on in 6 of those 20 matches.

5. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    For what it's worth. The Freshman Defenders on the list are all capped with the U18s and u20s. Pretty darn good class

6. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She is. Just didn't get recognized for it.

7. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Five of the six teams that scored on us were (and are) ranked, and Denver got a goal on a rebound. 14 shutouts. That's really a rather amazing accomplishment.

12 teams scored on UCLA. 10 teams scored on USC. 9 scored on Cal. The only team in the Pac-12 with a more impressive defensive record than the Buffs is Stanford. All these teams were scored on by Santa Clara, and we probably would have been also if we'd played them.

8. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I could be wrong but Im pretty sure they consider conference stats primarily when awarding. I could be wrong
    Regardless, she is an exceptional defender that has alot of good opportunity ahead of her

9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  10. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Pac-12 in the playoffs:

I'll start with the Big Story. Washington State had to travel all the way to Orlando to play ranked #8 and seeded #2 Central Florida. Shots were 19-5 UCF. UCF scored early, in the fifth minute, with one minor glitch ... the ball went into their goal, not the Cougars'. UCF had nine shots on goal, six were saved by the GK and three were cleared off the line by defenders. Washington State 1, Central Florida 0. Next up is Tennessee, in Gainesville, Florida, which is not far at all from Orlando.

#16 seed Utah Valley did something that has been very uncommon this season, they scored on Stanford. 9-1, but they did score. Auburn will be Stanford's next victim.

#2 seed UCLA defeated San Diego State for the second time this season, this time 3-1. Next is the winner of Butler & Northwestern.

It took Eastern Washington all of six minutes to score on #3 seed USC, and it took USC just into the second overtime to prevail 2-1. Next for the WOT (Women of Troy) is Butler.

Arizona outplayed Texas Christian, but trailed 1-0 before scoring twice late for a 2-1 win. Next, the Wildcats travel to somewhere, Stanford I think, to play #4 seed Florida State.

Did anybody lose? Oh, yes. Santa Clara (GO BRONCOS !!) 2, Cal 1. In Berkeley. SCU kinda dominated.

There's one more Pac-12 team with a game tomorrow. GO BUFFS !!!!!!!!!!

11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  12. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 2, Denver 1

It was not easy, at all. Four years ago, the CU seniors had lost all four games to Denver, the last one 3-0. They got one more chance in the first round of the playoffs, and won 1-0 at Denver. This year's Denver seniors had never beaten the Buffs, losing the last one 6-1, and for a while it looked like deja vu all over again in reverse. Denver led at halftime. Becca Rasmussen was not available, and her spark was missed.

This was a PERFECT day for soccer, sunny, mid-50's and almost no wind at all.

Not much happened in the first half. The Buffs outshot Denver 6-3, but DU had a noticeable edge in possession and for the most part outplayed the Buffs. We had one good chance to score when Tatum Barton and the ball got behind Denver's defense but her shot went wide. The phrase "wanted it more" sure seemed to apply to Denver's first half. And, in the 38th minute, they scored.

I don't know what Coach Sanchez said to the team at halftime, but I don't think it was "Nice half, let's do it again." The Buffs came out smoking hot to start the second half. Two minutes in, Megan Massey fired a long shot about three air molecules over the crossbar. A minute later the Buffs got their first corner kick, and a minute after that, Megan scored, with assists from Kelsey Aaknes and Taylor Kornieck. Kelsey is a defender, but she spent quite a bit of time on the "wrong" side of midfield. And at 51:53, Taylor netted the game winner with assists from Marty Puketapu and Megan. The rout looked like it was on, but it wasn't.

In the 58th minute, Tatum rolled out a LONG bout of individual effort (she does that) that led to two shots maybe three seconds apart, both of which slammed straight down off the crossbar. Denver wasn't done, and JJ made a leaping sideways block of a shot on goal to preserve the lead. Camilla Shymka and the ball got well behind the defense, a chip shot would likely have scored but her shot was low and so was the sliding goalkeeper. The Save of the Day (or century) came at the very beginning of the fourth quarter. Just as she was being sandwiched between three defenders, Taylor fired a scorching shot on goal and somehow the goalkeeper got to it and swatted it away.

After that, Denver kind of took over the fourth quarter. Not completely, but they kept us back on our heels a lot, especially the final 12 minutes or so. A hard shot with three minutes left slammed off the crossbar and the rebound was headed right to a Pioneer and somehow JJ got to it first and snatched it to preserve the win. The Buffs are the better team, but Denver showed up today to play a great game and that is exactly what they did.

Shots wound up 16-9, on goal 6-5, corner kicks 3-2, all Buffs. We missed Becca, and we may be missing her again at North Carolina. Attendance was 1,342, it sure seemed like more than that.

13. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taylor's shot and one spectacular save:

14. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They actually have Baylor on Friday at 3:30CT in College Station
    Great effort in the second half by the Buffs today!

15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  16. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baylor, Butler, same thing, both begin with a B and have six letters. Confusing to the feeble-minded. Butler lost on PKs to Northwestern and therefore does not have to play UCLA.

And how did I expect Butler to be in two places at the same time?

Glove Stinks repped this.
  17. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You get a pass! Im really hopeful the Buffs can step up In NC. Is it me, or does the comittee have a thing for the buffs and Heels? Put that second half effort on the pitch next week along with Taylor's goal she saved for the Heels and I think the Buffs can pull this off.

18. grasskamper

grasskamper Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Is Becca out for the tournament? Sorry to see her finally get to the show and not be able to enjoy playing in it.

19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I hate to say this, but my guess is that Danny parks the bus in Chapel Hill and hope to sneak a goal somehow.

What the Buffs need to do is win enough in the regular season so that they get a seed and don't have to travel to a place like Chapel Hill.

mpr2477 repped this.
  20. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    UNC is really banged up. Yes they are deep but they are missing many key figures including JS who is just going under the knife. Nobody wants to see this but Danny is a pretty smart guy and can identify the weak spots. I give the buffs a fighters chance

21. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Everything is relative. They have enough talents to beat the Buffs any times. Unfortunately, JS was injured most of the season anyway.

22. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 seed, #2 ranked, #2 RPI North Carolina 1, Buffs 0.

Not bad, not bad at all. The bus was set free from the parking lot for much of the game. Shots 19-11, on goal 8-3, corner kicks 6-2, all Tarheels of course. They were certainly the better team and played like it.

I got home at 5:15PM Mountain time and thought the game would just be over and I wanted to know the score before I went to Buffs v Arizona in volleyball. It wasn't over, I got to watch the final 20 minutes on the UNC website, and apparently this was the best part of the game for CU.

Here's what Coach Sanchez thought about it, from the website: "I'm disappointed we didn't get the result, but when you really look at it, [I'm proud], and I'm not just saying I'm really proud of the effort because the season is over. I feel like I want to keep playing. I want this team to continue to build. If you look at the course of the game, credit to North Carolina, they did more on the night for sure. But at the end of the night, JJ only had to make one tough save and unfortunately the rebound fell to one of them. I thought we defended great. I thought the back four were fantastic. Kelsey [Aaknes], Hannah [Cardenas], Alex [Vidger] and Joss [Orejel] were fantastic. And I'm really proud of some of our players who stepped up with players out. Sarah [Kinzner]'s battling the flu and she gutted it out and played 60 minutes tonight; I'm really proud of her. Megan [Massey], Nancy [Best], Hannah Scheid played her most minutes as a Buff in her last game and played her best game. Taylor was all over the place and took a knock in the first half, but was not going to back down. Our front runners had to do a lot of work on both sides of the ball. I'm leaving someone out, but I'm really proud of the effort of the group. We needed something to fall our way and it didn't, so there's no shame in that. But we laid it all on the line so I'm proud of that."

23. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Buffs weren't at full strength, haven't been all season, missing probably the two best forwards, one not available at all, the other lasting one game. Becca Rasmussen, who leads the team in assists, could not play. And I'm pretty sure that the Tarheels' talent runs deeper down the roster than the Buffs'.

I would guess that some players really stepped up for both teams.

24. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Washington State lives to play another day, tied #20 Tennessee 2-2 and prevailed on penalty kicks.

USC tied Baylor 1-1 and lost on penalty kicks.

Arizona lost to Florida State 2-0.

Stanford and Auburn are 0-0 in the second half, and UCLA and Northwestern are 0-0 early.

And I am down on sleep and about to correct that. Good night all.

25. BuffsPios

BuffsPios Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    #375 BuffsPios, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Not only was Becca Rasmussen out, it looks like Cassie Philips was too. Two very important players. Buffs did well all things considered.