2017 Coaching thread

Discussion in 'Coach' started by elessar78, Dec 6, 2016.

1. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I got those cones over 40 years ago. When the company name was Brooklyn Union gas. Initials on them was BUG. Now it’s under another name. I was driving on the belt parkway the workers were putting them down on the Highway. I told my friend who was in my van just pick them up as their workers put them down. They never looked back so they did not see him put them in the van. We had ten of them before they knew what happened. I still got them :)

2. Malabranca

Malabranca Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Last week of practices. Anyone have any good practices for the end of a season? Mostly just trying to keep the team sharp and let the kids that are sticking it out (and not going to basketball or wrestling practice) have some fun.

3. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I used to have an end of season parents vs. players scrimmage. Worked well because I was lucky to have a good group of parents. For the many parents who never played soccer it was an eye opening experience. Those that played were easy going about it, having of course kicked the ball around with their kids before.

Malabranca repped this.
  4. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    3v3 tournament. Set up however many fields you need so that everyone can play at the same time. You can either make up a bracket or you can set up a ladder system.

Malabranca repped this.
  5. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Would appreciate some feedback from the coaches here - Son plays U11 and I notice that he could use some work on his first touch, bring the ball under control such that he can make the next play - dribble pass shoot accordingly.

Practice is twice a week and most weekends there is a game but there is an opportunity for me to take him to the park and get some extra work in (he doesnt mind and looks forward to it as well)

Any suggestions for drills that he and I can execute that might be able to help with this area? Anything more interesting that hammering the ball at him for him to trap and hammer it back?

6. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    J'can instead of thinking of controlling the ball as "catching" or "trapping" the ball, emphasize "controlling the ball" by thinking of it as "first touch." First touch is so important to tactical speed and effectiveness, that I don't think it can be overemphasized.

First touch as in "the first touch" of what the player is doing next.

The worst thing to do for "first touch" is to pass the ball back and forth while standing stationary in place. Players usually are flat footed, not moving, not looking around, not making decisions. In short reinforcing every bad habit. Even if bouncing the ball off a wall, a player should practice "first touch" by controlling the ball in a new direction, not trapping it (killing its motion).

This isn't the best clip out there; It is just the first one I found, but it makes the points I wanted to make.

I hope some others chip in with their favorite exercises.

J'can repped this.
  7. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This!!

I know this but could never articulate it to him. If I put it in these terms it will make the point.

Thanks! Will watch clip later but thanks so much for responding.

8. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
  9. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
  10. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I ended my retirement from coaching indoor tonight.

My D's co-coach was sick and my D (age 23) asked my to help her coach. She wanted my help in managing subs because she had no F*ing clue of how to do it in indoor.

It was a blast and I shared with her my tools and process (line them up against the wall so you know who is next).

Girls won 4-3 and D was appreciative of my contributions

Malabranca and rca2 repped this.
  11. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Update: U19s won their last tournament of the club season away from home in Lafayette beating host team (yes Houston's club team)Dynamos 99b. In what was a crazy experience.. One of the crazier ones if I really went in-depth about it.

High school season is off n running. 7-0 start and ranked #5 in our Division. Looking to make a run for State. Already have a couple kids committed to D1 programs. JVs get their first test next week.

Malabranca, jmnva and rca2 repped this.