2017 Allocations

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by LucyFearsTheMorningStar, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Must say I'm happy for Washington. Does this mean that it is more likely that when/if Dunn returns she might join another team?

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I was assuming that already... All of the coverage made it sound like she had no intention of returning to DC, and once a year passes DC would no longer have her rights anyway.

3. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    #53 WWC_Movement, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    The allocation of Pugh to the Spirit has put them in position to be better for the future.
    Yes, better for the future than they were a year ago.
    Their team made the NWSL Final last year, but they had a lot of older players.
    Older players such as Matheson, Krieger, and Lohman.
    They were lacking in young talent on that team.

The Spirit transformation is not as bad as people think, now that Pugh is on board.

Out: Dunn, Nairn, Matheson, Krieger, Oyster
    In: Pugh, K. Mewis, Solaun, Ship, Kallman

Other incoming players: Agnew, Dougherty Howard, Castleberry

End Result: Nearly equal talent for now, but younger, and better talent for 2018 and beyond.
    Plus they are in better position than most teams in next year's draft, through trades.
    They also look like they will get a Top 5 pick in next year's draft, possibly Top 3.

They have had injuries this year. The chances of making the playoffs are slim.
    If they strike in next year's draft, the young talent continues to get better, and they could make the playoffs next year, and for years to come.

Last year's team was running on old legs, & they weren't going to be able to keep it up much longer.
    They sacrificed a playoff spot this year, for better positioning overall for the long-term for years.
    But the sacrifice was a playoff spot this year. It's still better to have Pugh and a brighter future.

The key is to keep Pugh.
    If she bolts, then this plan backfired on them.
    If she stays, this plan worked out (starting in 2018, in challenging for titles).

4. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, looks like I'll be at the Plex Saturday.

CoachJon repped this.
  5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yeah but then it back to USI and unless they give the top spot to an expansion team odds r pretty good Washington could hold the top spot again next year. If Washington does, then to avoid a return there Dunn would have to sit out until 2019 season. Not so sure Dunn is done with DC.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    1. USI order puts expansion teams at the end of the list. So that won't happen. That said..

2. I assume there's a provision similar to the waiver process that forbids a player from landing on the team where their rights expired from when the rights have the option to be redistributed. That is, once a team's rights expire on someone, I thought it was an effective block for that player returning to that team under any circumstances until the next season rolls around.

blissett repped this.
  7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Don't think there is a provision but the league has shown to have been pretty sensitive to granting USNT players wishes so if Dunn really is determined to stay in Europe rather than play in DC then I think it happens for her. I don't really think that's the case. I think Dunn is in Chelsea because she wants to be there not because of the Spirit. I do think Dunn not returning for the summer was her way of telling the team she isn't happy but I don't think it is anything serious enough to stop her from returning to the Spirit next Summer. I believe she owns a house in DC area.