2017 Allocations

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by LucyFearsTheMorningStar, Jan 25, 2017.

1. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have thought the goal would be to have an agreement, even if not actually signed, and a list before the clubs open camp, but if not, agree that the players just eventually end up quietly at their assigned clubs.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Still don't get why they r pretending the MOU is still in effect on the NT side but seem to be ignoring the NWSL side of the same document. If the old contract is carrying on during negotiations then allocation should happen and US allocated players should get paid.

CoachJon repped this.
  3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe that's what's happening. Everything I've seen suggests that the Thorns' previously allocated players are planning on being at practice as soon as it begins.

CoachJon repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Which opens the door to the follow up questions
    1. R they being compensated based on the expired MOU?
    2. If not and the talks go South and they decide to strike will it only be for NT duty?

6. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be normal, and therefore reasonable to assume, that they are being compensated based on the expired MOU. If and when negotiations for a new contract are done, part of the agreement ordinarily would cover whether there will be retroactive pay adjustments covering the period between expiration of the MOU and signing of the new agreement.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Agreed...which makes it odd that they didn't just allocate assuming exactly what u said would happen. I heard Richard Farley suggest that maybe they r concerned a whole different system might, if adopted, be hard to redo once started. Could be something to that. Sure if ur just talking about adjusting dollar amounts when the new deal is done that's easy, but what they get rid of allocation in the new system? Might be tough backing off those NWSL contracts. Interesting thought anyway.

8. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I think it's too late at this point in time to implement a different system. It'd be better for both sides to agree to continue with the current system and implement the new one for next year.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yeah, agree but I think they wanted to wait as long as they could hoping to just be able to go with the system in the new CBA if it was finalized before the season started.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Rosters are hitting Twitter this afternoon, and some are listing US "federation players". No surprises from what I can see thus far...

ORL: Harris, Krieger (no Morgan ATM)
    KC: Brunn, Scott, Leroux, ARod
    CHI: no sign of who's allocated, but includes Naeher, Press, and Ertz

11. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The teams all know who their US Allocations are for now, just appears it won't be formally announced until after there is a new deal.

12. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's missing from before? Really just need to remember where to find last year's list.

13. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Off top of my head: Hinkle (WNY/NC), Solo (Sea), Hao (KC), Engen (Bos)

I don't recall if any other bubble players such as Hinkle were on last year's.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Rampone (SB) Dunn (Wash)

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Also saw a post from Allie Long saying she has been allocated for 2 1/2 years

16. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I think her math is bad. But she was likely added to allocations last year. I believe players have to be allocated after a certain # of callups/amount of time with the team.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Also, not a big fan of allocating players based solely on potential. They did it with Brian but she had been with the NT for over a year and had two Herman's in her pocket. They did it with Sonnett last year based on much less and u could argue the results. This year they did it with Lavelle who has no pro experience and has played 2 matches for the NT, both of which they lost. While I have seen nothing from Lavelle that tells me she doesn't belong on the NT Id like to have player earn those contracts thru league and NT play.

18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either she is really bad at math, or she is lying. Or she thinks that a couple years in and out of the player pool counts as being a federation player, which is not the case.

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Short of some team (i.e. Portland) overwhelming the Spirit with an offer they couldn't refuse, this seemed the logical conclusion. If the Pugh end game had been to play in Europe, ud have to wonder why she left UCLA. She could have stayed in school, turned pro over the summer and played in France, England , wherever beginning in the fall. The only reason to leave school now was to play now. Also dont think it's about the money as that was there for her last year as well. So, barring a last minute trade, she plays for the Spirit this season and still has the option to go to Europe next year if she wants the bigger payday.

21. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Unless Goff is wrong (rare), she never actually went overseas to visit any teams, at least as of that article being written yesterday. I see one Tweet claiming a Eurosport reporter said she'd be there tomorrow, but that seems like an odd turnaround time. Clearly possible travel-wise, but if she was going to actually fly out, it seems unlikely that Goff (or Lauletta or any other people who've reported on it) would have failed to mention that.

23. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CoachJon repped this.
  24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And again...so nice that Lifetime GotW has a pre game show where league news can actually be treated like a news event.

Blaze20 repped this.