2017 AFC Cup

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by jonny63, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Clash81

Clash81 New Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  2. AlleXyS

AlleXyS Member

Steaua Bucureşti
    Apr 22, 2014
    Bucharest
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    sure, with this format, 99% India will have a team in quarterfinals.... and maybe in semifinal (100% if will met the winner of Eastern Group). But this format can have a bad position ... because only ONE can be in quarterfinals :) in previous format , Bengaluru + East Bengal/Mohun Bagan can qualified togheter in quarterfinals .... now, only one.

3. Kaptah

Kaptah Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Having read the article posted by Clash81, the writer has a good point about this asymmetrical system that I didn't come to think of: Do the extra matches (and extra clubs playing these matches) played by West Asian and Southeast Asian clubs have influence on AFC ranking points?

I think this was the main concern of the writer Guru Pasad, in my opinion otherwise very clearly the biggest winners of this system are India and North Korea both getting a group they are almost guaranteed to win. I can't understand the critique:

1)when out of Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Myanmar, Philippines, Laos, Cambodia only ONE club altogether can be in quarterfinals(=Interzone semifinals) every singe club being tougher than opponents India have to face to win the South Asian group

2)there has never been 2 clubs in quarter final from India (in same year) in the history of AFC Cup in any format anyway

AlleXyS repped this.
  4. AlleXyS

AlleXyS Member

Steaua Bucureşti
    Apr 22, 2014
    Bucharest
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Don't take it like a chritique. Better, is an attention point. For me, India is one of the top countries in AFC Cup (Bengaluru, East Bengal and Mohun Bagan, almost every year). And this new format, will diminuate international matches for indian clubs in Asia (because in past, 2 indian clubs played 12 games in groups stage against Asia, now will play only 4, each with same teams, because 2 will be against local rival).

Yes, this format probably will help India to reach every year a semifinal (until AFC will realise that made a mistake with this format).

I don't agree this format, not for AFC Cup, not for AFC Champions League (with 16 west, 16 east). Definitelly, must be played regional groups due of size of Asia, but not so. Teams like Johor or Ha Noi to be in quarterfinals against April 25 ?!?!?!

AFC must keep MA ranking GENERAL, and then to divide the groups by regions how much can. So, the ranking for coefficients will be much precise.
    * sorry for my english :D

5. Kaptah

Kaptah Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Are you sure April 25 is a weak club? They haven't participated for a long time but I think it is entirely possible they are better than any Indian club (excluding India Super League clubs who have many million player budget and field 6 foreign players). East Asian Group would be quite competitive if the Hong Kong clubs weren't transferred to AFC Champions League until 2019.

My wild guess is that April 25 is a K-League Classic level but without foreign players so I wouldn't say Bengaluru would 100 % advance if they meet in the quarterfinals.

6. Clash81

Clash81 New Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Couple of things here. MA rankings are not accrued for the prelim and play-off matches. Means, 4 matches that Mohun Bagan will play before entering the group stage is of no value.
    As per the earlier format where teams from India were part of different groups, we had a much better chance to progress to the knock out rounds of the cup, however this format restricts that.

AlleXyS repped this.
  7. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Preliminary rounds will be played in home-away format. :thumbsup:

ASEAN and West group stage dates:
    20 February till 3 May
    East, Center, South dates:
    14 March till 31 May

That's strange. I would understand if there was earlier start for ASEAN teams as they have more matches than others, but I don't understand why is this scheduled this way - ASEAN and West play their third matchday same week when others start their group stage campaign.

8. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    http://www.macaodaily.com/html/2017-01/12/content_1150122.htm

Macao Daily reports that Benfica de Macao was supposed to be granted a slot in the expanded AFC Cup group stage, but the Macau FA missed the application deadline... so Benfica de Macao is missing out.

What a bummer. You would have thought after such a good performance in the AFC Solidarity Cup, the Macau FA will be more focused and motivated. Apparently they are a shambles as usual.

jonny63 repped this.
  9. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  10. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Does it mean Macau FA has a chance to re-apply with Benfica de Macau?

11. mdhm

mdhm Member

Southern District FC
    Hong Kong
    Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Hong Kong
    Macau and Laos are from different zones in AFC Cup.

12. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I think both teams from A2.1 playoff tie that was supposed to give fourth team to Lanexang's group (Phnom Phen Crown vs Home United) will get direct group stage berths. Especially if Lao league is falling apart like this dramatic post on Facebook suggests.

I am still waiting for North Koreans to pull out.

13. AlleXyS

AlleXyS Member

Steaua Bucureşti
    Apr 22, 2014
    Bucharest
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    aha, maybe this will made AFC staff to think again about this shit format :))))

this change is one big step behind ...

14. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There are two North Korean clubs in the same group currently. I really don't understand how this thing works.

Now that Lanexang United pull out, maybe the AFC should consider revising the whole thing, while they are at it, give a slot to Benfica de Macau!!!

15. AlleXyS

AlleXyS Member

Steaua Bucureşti
    Apr 22, 2014
    Bucharest
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    this will not happening because are in different zones. And Macau not submit any club (this is the reason on "wikipedia" due of the Macau have no club in AFC Cup this season).

If Lanexang United will be out, probably second Singapore club (Home United) will receive this spot, because is the best ranked from play off, and the rest 3 clubs must fight for last one. Is only a supossition

16. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Have Chinese Taipei clubs now withdrawn?

On the AFC Cup page, Group I just have 3 teams - the 2 from North Korea and Erchim!

No fixtures listed for East Zone in the preliminary tab :confused:

mdhm and AlleXyS repped this.
  17. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoted from Wiki, but no source: East Asia Zone (EAZ): Rovers (Guam) withdrew from the AFC Cup group stage after the draw, and thus Kigwancha (North Korea) advanced directly from the play-off round to the group stage to replace them, and Tatung (Chinese Taipei) and Erchim (Mongolia) advanced directly from the preliminary round to the play-off round. Later, Taiwan Power Company and Tatung (both Chinese Taipei) withdrew from the AFC group stage and qualifying play-off respectively after the draw, and thus Erchim (Mongolia) advanced directly from the play-off round to the group stage to replace them, and only three teams would compete in the East Asia Zone group stage.

18. Kaptah

Kaptah Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Put Jeonbuk in Group I of AFC Cup as a punishment for bribing referees. Nobody else seem to want to play with North Korean clubs .. if Jeonbuk refuse to play AFC Cup, ban for extra year.

Or maybe ask Vietnamese standby club Hai Phong to participate? They are almost East Asia anyway and because Ha Noi were knocked out they couldn't participate otherwise.

dinamo_zagreb repped this.
  19. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  20. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pretty sure Benfica de Macao will be happy to play. They do belong to East Asian zone.

21. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AFC decided to have only 3 teams in Group H after withdrawal of Lanexang United.

jonny63 repped this.
  22. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Sweet Lord. So, there are teams willing to play as they will play in preliminaries, but AFC will stick with unconventional and funny three-team groups. :laugh:

They expanded the competition to give more teams opportunity, some teams gave up, others won't get chance to replace them. :laugh:

Way to go!

23. AlleXyS

AlleXyS Member

Steaua Bucureşti
    Apr 22, 2014
    Bucharest
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Uh ..and believe that one team from this group will reach the quarterfinals? :D

24. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Who's willing to bet that AFC are going to revert back to the old format next year? :D

Parisian75 repped this.
  25. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    West Zone AFC Cup Play-off First Leg

Date: January 30, 2017
    Fixture: Shabab Al Khalil v Al Suwaiq
    Venue: Dura Stadium, Hebron
    Second Leg: February 6, 2017

ASEAN Zone AFC Cup Play-off First Legs

Date: January 30, 2017
    Fixture: Phnom Penh Crown v Home United
    Venue: RSN Stadium, Phnom Penh
    Second Leg: February 7, 2017

Date: January 31, 2017
    Fixture: Boeungket Angkor FC v Lao Toyota FC
    Venue: National Olympic Stadium , Phnom Penh
    Second Leg: February 7, 2017

http://www.the-afc.com/afc-cup-2017/west-and-asean-zone-sides-set-to-get-afc-cup-play-offs-underway