2017 AFC Champions League

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Angsa, Nov 17, 2016.

1. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Great. I enjoy every fail by that ******************** that coaches the team.

2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that - I was at that game! That's the one that where Al- Hilal was like 3-0 up after the first leg, and AG made it 3-3 in the 2nd leg, and then extra time the match ended something like 5-2 or something like that.. I remember that one well - crazy match.

3. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    What ..You hate Zoran?? But Why?

4. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Long story short - he is a crook, a criminal, a thieve, he and his brother, even worse person, harmed my club and my national team and both will, if there is justice, soon end up in jail.

5. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Long story cut short...I want to explain my Nasser Fans here..If you know he coached Saudi Club before going to Al Ain

6. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I do. We had stories here that he fled to Saudi Arabia as there is no extradition document between Croatia and your country so he can stay there if he was sentenced in Croatia. :laugh: And money in KSA league is awesome and that's all they (he, his brother) are interested in.

Media that they control were saying like he was surely a manager for top 5 leagues :laugh: and all at once he leaves Dinamo to take charge over Saudi club, exactly when state (finally) started prosecuting them. :laugh:

7. MVP#3

MVP#3 Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    another champions league face team is merging next season, Al Ahli, Al Shabab, Dubai football clubs to be merged, like Lekhwiya they will complete their 2017 AFC CL games with the same name they started with.
    [​IMG] source

8. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Kuala Lumpur: The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Disciplinary and Ethics Committee on Wednesday ordered Persepolis FC (IRN) to play their AFC Champions League (ACL) Round of 16 match against Lekhwiya SC without spectators.

This is a result of spectator misconduct at the club’s ACL Group Stage match on May 8 against Al Wahda (UAE). Persepolis supporters lit a flare in the 88th minute of the match, putting safety in the stadium at risk.

After three spectator-related incidents in the 2015 season (see more details here: http://www.the-afc.com/media-releases/acl-clubs-sanctioned-for-crowd-disturbances), Persepolis FC were ordered to play one (1) match without spectators, suspended for a probationary period of two (2) years. As the current breach occurred within the probationary period, the order to play one (1) match with a full stadium closure automatically comes into effect. Persepolis FC were also fined USD10,000.

The disciplinary process was fast-tracked due to Persepolis taking part in the ACL Round of 16 next week. Persepolis FC will face Lekhwiya SC (QAT) on Tuesday May 23 at the Azadi Stadium in Tehran.

9. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This doesn't affect the return leg in Doha does it? I was planning to attend...

10. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  11. SultanL

SultanL Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Nice comeback as they are the most popular club in UAE which are unlikely to get passed the group stage next year.
    It was a totally different meal and so era when they were Asian Club Championship semifinalists in 1993.
    Back then, they had a great tournament overall without losing a single match technically.
    Won their first match against Pas which should ended at least a hat-trick at the first half after wasted chance after chance after chance in a fairly one-sided game against the what would be the eventual winners, the next match Al Wasl thrashed Wohaib from Pakistan 10-0.
    In a remarkable contest against a top-heavy side Al Shabab, the magnitude to this game is tremendous, the Saudi club were CLEARLY the best west asian team in the early 90s who was very solid all around and consistently compete with 6-7 international players. However, the red card in the 20th min played a huge impact on the game since they went down to ten men, their best player (Zuhair) was sent off early after kicking the referee!
    In third place match they were 3-0 up against Yomiuri/Tokyo Verdy but the Japanese team responded to it as well with three goals, before scoring the winning goal to seal the game in Al Wasl's 4-3 victory.
    Both Yomiuri & Liaoning was far more successful during that period from the far east.

Al Wasl 87-92 the best UAE team ever in terms of entertainment and attacking style, that team had Fahad Abdulrahman, Ismail Rashid, Hassan Mohammed (who?) with the biggest asset of the team in formidable classic trio up front, Nasser Khamees as an attacking midfielder, the goal-poacher Fahad Khamees as the second best player in UAE football (behind Al Talyani) and skilful winger in the Zuhair Bakheet mould's the most talented Emirati player ever.
    The reason of a pulsating football because the club were hugely influenced by the legendary Ghanaian footballer Mohammed Polo who had an exceptional technical ability and insane dribbling skills. He played for Al Wasl in the early 80s and was named as the best foreign player to ever play in the UAE league.

+PL+ and MVP#3 repped this.
  12. SultanL

SultanL Member

Apr 6, 2016
    This match goes down as one of the greatest comeback in the competition.
    Great performance by Younis Mahmoud by the way who almost singlehandedly made a difference and tortured Al Hilal team.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  13. SultanL

SultanL Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Interesting article, although it would be far more interesting for the latter stages rather than tournament group stages in the point discussing team strengths against a top notch teams.
    I believe Al Ittihad in 2005 is the best version of the winners ever seen in the AFC Champions League history.
    Several incredible results
    vs Shandong Luneng 7-2
    vs Busan IPark 5-0
    vs Al Ain 4-2
    Then played in FIFA Club World Cup and produced a splendid performances.

14. SultanL

SultanL Member

Apr 6, 2016
    In this year, the competition on the west for the big names.
    Probably two of the thralling encounters

West: Esteghlal-Al Ain
    Esteghlal are the second biggest club in Asia (only behind Al Hilal) while Al Ain are the current runner-up. However, Al Ain will miss striker Al Shamrani (2nd highest goal scorer in the champions league history) through political ground.
    Esteghlal have a better H2H record in four meetings years 1999, 2003, 2013.

East: Guangzhou Evergrande-Kashima Antlers
    Guangzhou Evergrande has been more successful than any of the others with the current decade.
    Kashima are the local league champs and a massive club in Japan but lack of success in continental competition, even they couldn't managed not once to reach the semis, though it seems they are more determined especially since their fine performance against Real Madrid's last year.

Zandi360 repped this.
  15. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't see Esteghlal-Al Ain as best west Asian match. Although not having Al Shamrani is a big deal for Al Ain they can pass SS if they manage a draw in Tehran which is very possible. SS Tehran only play a defensive plan and rely on counter attacks, they can be neutralized by similar approach (Closing the gaps and killing the match). In return leg Al Ain can dominate SS. SS are missing their central key player, Omid Ebrahimi due to an injury most likely. This means they are vulnerable deep in their central defense because they have no good DMF player sweeping the ball in front of the CBs. Their other DMF is a young and promising player who is currently with Iranian U20 NT in Fifa u20 WC.

Personally I think matches in Quarter final/Semi stage are more entertaining even Persepolis vs Lekhwiya is more challenging than Esteghlal vs Al Ain. Perspolis just signed a good CB and a better Forward just last week. I hope they are allowed to participate in upcoming matches.

Al Hilal vs Al Ain will be entertaining to watch.

Although I support all Iranian teams in AFC Champions league. I don't expect any one except Persepolis to advance beyond this point. SS Khuzestan will be eliminated by AL Hilal for sure. SS Tehran should struggle with Al Ain, and even Persepolis chance has reduced with no spectators in Tehran.

16. gamban98

gamban98 Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Why is the flag considered offensive? Sorry, I'm not Japanese and my history grade was pretty bad. :(

17. kung_fu_kicks

kung_fu_kicks New Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Good question. Please visit this website. ;)
    http://english.anti-risingsunflag.net/

In short, their behavior is the equivalent of Germans waving the Nazi flag during the UCL games. In Asia the rising sun flag is widely seen as the symbol of Japanese imperialism.

upload_2017-5-20_13-0-37.jpeg

GoYoungrokba, glennaldo_sf and gamban98 repped this.
  18. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Players of Esteghlal Khuzestan are protesting against their team managers and sponsors. They have not been paid for entire season and they have threatened to not travel to Oman to play vs Al Hilal if they are not being paid within next 24 hours. If this happens, Al Hilal gains 3 points without playing a match. :thumbsdown: It also hurts Iranian clubs position in ACL.

Many Iranian clubs are facing financial difficulties specially Esteghlal Khuzestan and Naft Tehran which are bankrupt.

19. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Not promising for Esteghlal, missing both their 1st choice DMs. It will be interesting to see what they can do in Tehran, perhaps they can surprise

20. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #270 +PL+, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Who exactly is going to surprise Al Ain? They have no one to replace Ebrahimi or Nourafkan. If Rouzbeh Cheshmi was ready he was better than both but he busted his knee last season and still is not at good shape. Other players don't have enough experience to cover this area. Mansourian is going to make himself look like a fool in this match specially with his nonsense about Persepolis in his pre match news conference with Al Ain club. The guy is stupid, instead of focusing on his match vs Al Ain (as a professional coach) he spew nonsense about his Iranian rival club!? I never understand these kind of people mentality.

21. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Bravo, Esteghlal! B-R-A-V-O!

Zandi360 repped this.
  22. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Without 3 of their usual starters, did not expect this result, at least not a strong defensive performance like this.

Lots of hoofing the ball because their best player and playmaker Omid Ebrahimi was missing, along with U20 captain Noorafkan playing the U20 WC, therefore you had a CB and an average backup DM playing both in the DM positions. Another consequence of that was that they didn't manage to keep more possession

Robson and Padovani at CB having been really good both in the league and ACL this season, best defensive pair in Iran in my opinion. Omar Abdulrahman most of the times struggles physically against any decent Iranian teams, clubs or NT, and it showed tonight

23. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The referee, Fu Ming, had many errors. He was not fit for this match. He gave two wrong red cards. SS didn't play a pleasant football but got the 3 points as the usual case in our league. They know how to kill the match and close the gaps. Al Ain was the shadow of their past today and not having Al Shamrani hit them hard. They couldn't use this good opportunity deep in SS defense and gave a childish hand in their own PK area which resulted in a PK for SS! This match was not worth it to spend 90 min. I hope they play better football in upcoming matches.

24. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    SS fans brought a weasel to Stadium! :whistling::D

MVP#3 repped this.
  25. MVP#3

MVP#3 Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    like you said childish handball speacially for a player with experience that but can we give him a pass and blame the coach for subbing him in (his main position is a right back) Mohamed Ahmed's first match since September 6th when he got injured with UAE NT against Australia I was surprised when I saw him subbed in he didn't seem ready or focused, he was more focused on Real Madrid winning their league :sleep: anyways seems like Al Ain ready to ship away Mohanad Al Enezi since they've been starting Saeed Jumaa the 18 y/o center back who got sent off haven't seen Al Ain's red card tbh but I expected him to make some mistakes since he is 18 and playing in such an atmosphere.

the final result makes Farhad Majedi happy who played for both teams

& scored the goal that sent Al Ain to 03 Finals

Zandi360 repped this.