2017-2018 UEFA Season Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
  2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, my "huh" was genuine surprise or ignorance of what you might be referring to. With that now established...

1) The Guardian article and similar articles are sensationalist garbage. To see my longer thoughts, here's a response to a similar Daily Mail article, here: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/how-is-video-review-supposed-to-work.2083738/#post-36668394

2) To recap, there is literally nothing new here. VARs get to inform the CR of VC when they become aware of it, just as ARs and 4ths can do. A restart or restarts don't change anything. The idea--as posited in the Daily Mail article--that someone could be sent off in the second half for something done in the first half, however, is patently absurd and shows a complete lack of knowledge about how VR works. This is all about the British press and other online outlets generating clicks and feeding off the newness and controversy around VARs.

3) Specifically to this Ramos/Karius play...
    a) The VAR check would be occurring immediately after the head injury where Karius goes down. There would be no need for anything "retroactive" (that's the wrong word anyway, but let's roll with it for now) to occur because the VAR and CR would be in communication during the next stoppage and play would be held up until either the VAR was satisfied a red card was not missed or until the VAR recommended that the CR review the play for a missed red card.
    b) Any video of the incident would have to clearly show that it was wrong not to issue a red card to Ramos. I haven't seen anything of the sort yet. My gut says it's a very dirty play that was well-disguised, but unless there's a really good replay angle that you've seen, the standard for issuing a VC red card to Ramos for this is nowhere close to being met.

zahzah repped this.
  3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC