2017-2018 UEFA Season Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 13, 2017.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. My gut reaction was going to be "okay, so what came of this?" But we're just too far off the reservation now. No need to drop a 2015 accusation into this thread.

My earlier joke aside, I'm going to crack down a little from here going forward. UEFA competition matters only, with the occasional domestic match (that doesn't fall into the EPL or Bundesliga) also allowed.

balu repped this.
  2. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Quick question about referee assignments. Too lazy to scroll through 23 pages. Is there a draw for referees just like they draw teams from a pot in Nyon? A blind draw, Just to avoid accusations of favoritism. Thx. :unsure:

3. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    That might not be a bad idea ;) The answer is no. There is a committee headed by Pierluigi Collina that assigns the referees.

4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also thought it was refreshing to hear newly minted referee Alexi Lalas stick up for Oliver and speak truth to Buffon. No doubt Wynalda would have blamed the referee for ruining the game.

fairplayforlife repped this.
  5. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    It was offside. Not by much, but it was off.

Here is the screenshot. Keeper is in the opponent's half. I doubt the AR forgot that the keeper was off, at least I'm hoping he didn't. He just must have thought that they timed the run.

upload_2018-4-12_23-49-4.png

superdave and Cornbred Ref repped this.
  6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. That's a pretty basic decision for a top level crew in Europe to miss if he correctly identified the 2LD. Looks like the 2LD is about a foot upfield of the grass stripe and the attacker is about a foot downfield. You don't see too many calls where the player is off by two feet called incorrectly.

7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After digging in a little further, here's the offside line using the halfway line and grass stripes to find the vanishing point. It's possible that he was using the correct defender and just missed it due to the all out sprint and the fact that he may have been a step behind (it's hard to sprint with world class athletes!)

It would be a surprising miss though. I guess the answer would be to have a camera angle from the other side to see where the AR is. Thankfully it ended up being a meaningless goal.

[​IMG]

8. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    It looks a lot clearer from that still than it did when I watched it on TV. I thought offside when I saw it and so did the commentators but they never showed a slo-mo or still of it as it was mainly irrelevant.
    But yea I'd put it down to speed mainly, they were going pretty fast on the counter.

And if I was the german fans/media I'd be questioning the tactical choices of Leipzig more than bother with a possible referee error. They have a corner in the dying minutes and need a goal to go through. So they send everyone, including the keeper, into/around the PA but then for some strange reason decide to take the corner short... And of course they then have it blocked and give up the counter. :confused:

9. Cornbred Ref

Cornbred Ref Member

Arsenal
    Jan 3, 2018
    Omaha
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Care to post the full article? It's locked for me.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cutting and pasting full articles is not allowed, per copyright issues. I can't exactly be the one violating that rule. Pretty sure all you have to do is register to read--you don't need to subscribe.

11. Cornbred Ref

Cornbred Ref Member

Arsenal
    Jan 3, 2018
    Omaha
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to know. First popup said something about CC info so I passed but I figured it out. Thanks!

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the UCL draw out, I'll predict:

Liverpool : Roma - TURPIN / MAZIC
    Bayern : Real Madrid - KUIPERS / CAKIR

The only problem, as I see it, is that Brych just was at Anfield in the last round and I can't imagine it is standard protocol to have the same referee at the same venue in the same UEFA competition twice in a row. And I know the idea of Brych having leg 2 (and thereby having a direct influence on who might face Bayern and who might be suspended) is frowned upon. So I don't see how Brych fits into the UCL anymore. Plus the Atletico-Arsenal tie in the EL semis is the kind of matchup that could use him.

If I'm wrong, he obviously gets swapped in for Turpin. Because Turpin is really just me grasping at straws. Can't be an Italian so you eliminate two of your top candidates. There are a bunch of candidates who have likely played themselves out (Eriksson, Marciniak, etc.). Can't even be Collum, who has been good. Turpin or Undiano Mallenco seem like the most plausible "surprise" options. The other possibility is to send Rocchi to Munich and then have Kuipers or Cakir work the Liverpool/Roma tie.

13. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    So it's Bayern - Real and Liverpool - Roma. Can Rocchi do any match now? Can Brych take charge of Liverpool's first leg?

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  14. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    How about Cakir working in the first leg of Liverpool - Roma as well?

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good timing! I'll say "no" and "no"--mostly because I think you almost have to send Kuipers and Cakir to Bayern/Real. But, I've never got a 4-game set like this perfect, so I'm sure I won't start now.

balu repped this.
  16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #566 MassachusettsRef, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Cakir twice? Maybe. But I think that was an anomaly when it happened before. I would also like to believe UEFA doesn't want to send the signal of "we don't have 5 referees we are confident in to do these matches" two months before the World Cup, though. It's why I'm gambling on Turpin. His stock has been rising, he's French, and he's going to Russia.

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another theoretical possibility is to give Skomina and Mazic the first legs and have them fight for the Final. But, you know, that's a pretty high-risk gamble because if they both face trouble, you're screwed.

18. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Interestingly, Undiano Mallenco has never had a UCL semi before. Somewhat surprising given that he's been to the WC and been around for so long, but partly due to the dominance of Spanish teams. If Turpin hasn't been that good, maybe it's time to give Undiano Mallenco a chance.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With that bit of knowledge, I might be inclined to change my prediction.

There are two cons, though: the first is that he's not a WC referee and Turpin is; the second is whether or not UEFA wants to put "the other Spanish referee" through the ringer of the British press in the wake of Mateu Lahoz.

balu repped this.
  20. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Apparently there are a few clubs that are teaming up to try to remove Collina from his position and bring in VAR to the UCL. Juventus is claiming that the match officials are all “prejudiced” against Italian clubs and that the officials need better training. The club president even offered to have the club help “train” the officials. It shocks me that these people can be so blind .

21. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Collina will be fine. I do think we may see future assignments in the knockout stages lean away assigning the "less experienced" refs from the elite group to 2nd legs after a blowout 1st leg since we've now seen three unexpected comebacks in the past two years.

22. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    If it wasn't for the Juve game, I'm 100% convinced that Rocchi would be on the first leg of the Bayern vs. Real game. Now, not as sure.

My guess is:

Real vs. Bayern: Rocchi Leg 1 and Cakir Leg 2
    Roma vs. Liverpool: Brych Leg 1 and Mazic Leg 2

Maybe swap Mazic for Kuipers.

CL Final: Skomina
    Europa League Final: Mazic

Europa League semi-finals: I'd guess a combination of Mallenco, Collum, Orsato and Turpin.

23. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Not that I don't believe you, but I'd be curious to see a reference for this.

24. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    As MassRef pointed out, it seems highly unlikely that Brych will visit Anfield twice in a row in such a short time.

25. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    balu repped this.