2017/2018 offseason thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kokoplus10, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could say I’m bullish about this off-season.

2. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assume we'll clear some guys and keep going younger.
    There should also be an expansion draft this offseason, I'll try a protected 11 a bit later

kokoplus10 repped this.
  3. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that Taxi and Adams are goners, they promote some RBNY2 guys and take a flier on 1-2 guys no one has ever heard of from clubs they’ve never heard of.

Not the direction I would go, but very likely to happen.

4. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Both of 'em are still under contract, so someone's gonna have to come to us with an offer. I think we've got a good chance at keeping both around, hopefully past the summer window at least.

Of the vets, I think we keep BWP and Robles, lose Kljestan and Collin. Kljestan had his final option year picked up, is 32, and showing signs of slowing down physically. That's got "Red Bulls chopping block" written all over it. With LA Galaxy looking to rebuild and LAFC looking to build period, I buy the theory that he's being shopped to one of those two. Kinda wish we new Collin's contract situation and I hope we had the option past this year. Just can't justify paying that much to a guy who played that little this year.

Matt Doyle is hearing "whispers" that Red Bull might actually spend on an attacking player this winter, I'm pretty sure we're all board with waiting to see that happen until we believe it. But if we go into next season with a fresh CB core and hand the keys over to Adams in the midfield, I could live with that...

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deadtigers repped this.
  6. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Reporting is that Murillo has been signed to a Red Bull contract, he had been playing on loan from his Panamanian club.

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.onceametro.com/2017/11/29/16715772/draw-for-2018-concacaf-champions-league-set-new-york-red-bulls-placed-in-pot-1

There will be two Pots of eight teams - Pot 1 and Pot 2. The Red Bulls have been placed into Pot 1 along with MLS’s Toronto FC, FC Dallas and Seattle Sounders FC, plus Liga MX representatives CD Guadalajara, Club America, Tigres UANL, and Club Tijuana. 

The Red Bulls’ opponent will be one of seven teams in Pot 2 (per CONCACAF rules, they cannot face the Colorado Rapids in the first round). Their possible opponents consists of Deportivo Saprissa (Costa Rica), CS Herediano (Costa Rica), Cibao FC (Dominican Republic), FC Motagua (Honduras), Club Deportivo Olimpia (Honduras), Tauro FC (Panama), Santa Tecla FC (El Salvador). 

Deadtigers and miggly repped this.
  8. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
    guess it's too late for us to sign giuseppe rossi eh

gr.png

9. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Deadtigers repped this.
  10. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    List of unprotected players for the upcoming expansion draft. No one I would be too upset about losing, although I do have a soft spot for Grelladinho.

Defenders: Gideon Baah, Aurelien Collin, Connor Lade, Hassan Ndam, Sal Zizzo

Midfielders: Muhamed Keita, Zeiko Lewis, Mike Grella, Dilly Duka, Dan Metzger, Vincent Bezecourt

Forwards: Anatole Abang

https://www.newyorkredbulls.com/pos...ed-player-list-ahead-2018-mls-expansion-draft

11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grella was selected by the Rapids in Stage One of the MLS Re-entry draft on Friday. Colorado subsequently traded Grella to Columbus in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2019 SuperDraft.

12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deadtigers repped this.
  13. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other then working in some RBII talent, I'm not quite sure what the plan is this offseason. I'm worried.

14. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think everyone's at least a little worried given last winter, but I'm gonna wait another month or so before I escalate that to full-blown panic mode. They've probably known for awhile who they intended to bring up from RB2 so it makes sense those are the first moves. I'd also like to think that the lack of actual signings last winter came down to the in-fighting between Curtis and Marsch, which we shouldn't see this year.

15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after scouting him on YouTube...this guy seems like the real deal:

Argentine scribe Manu Martin is reporting that the NYRB are talking personal terms with Huracan winger Alejandro Romero Gamarra after agreeing a $7 million fee for the youngster

16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Woodrow repped this.
  17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The article from yesterday that was more important was this

Dyer reported on Thursday that New York are interested in bringing back Amanda Moreno, who signed with the Red Bulls as a Homegrown Player in 2013 before leaving the club to join Tijuana the following year. He hasn’t broken through with Xolos, only appearing in four league matches with the Liga MX club.

Dyer also reported that New York are also interested in signing Wake Forest defender Kevin Politz and 17-year-old academy and New York Red Bulls II midfielder Ben Mines to Homegrown contracts.

Oh and we re-signed Betancourt too, who seems destined to be a squadie.

18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    After Vernon, I am not happy about signing another Argie. We have had bad luck with Argies and South American talent in General. Africa and Europe have been better to us.

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised a man would be named Amanda, and his name is Amando. Wikipedia says Xolos loaned him to Dorados who he played 7 games for.

20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I cut and pasted the article and it only had his last name so I added his first name but my phone's spellcheck wrote Amando into Amanda

21. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, NOW I'm feeling satiated. "El Kaku" sounds promising, but there's no doubt he'll go through a transitional phase. So we can expect to see him start on the left wing?

22. mitch9881

mitch9881 Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jersey reveal is 1.1.18, according to RBNY instagram.

23. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Half a season. That’s the golden rule.

24. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Hopefully joining up during the winter instead of mid-season will help shave some time off the adjustment period.

I still remember Diego Valeri juggling the ball past Jamison Olave and scoring against us on opening day in 2013.

25. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    True, but in by training camp does smooth transition considerably. Think of all the late breaking additions who've gotten dropped into the team, Royer for example