2017-2018 Offseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by fortcollins, Sep 30, 2017.

1. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that every team in MLS is trying to do this but Rapids so need to find Giovinco 2.0, maybe even more than 1 of them. ;)

Dom. FC repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jayd8888, UxSxAxfooty and Soaker888 repped this.
  3. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    31 yo. All Liga MX experience I believe. Capped by US and Mexico according to the Wik. Personally don't know much about him.

4. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much would he cost? Thats the real question I have.

5. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His offense and ball skill is a plus at LB, his defending, what little he does, is a big minus when I last saw him

6. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Haha. Whoops. *That* Edgar Castillo. Last played for US under JK but I can't remember how long ago. Pretty quick, and as CoMtGuy states- good with the ball at his feet. Though I've considered him to be at least competent at D. Certainly better than most the Rapids currently employed in the back. With his experience (including two MX championships) he could provide a boost to the back line technically and likely some leadership outside of TH. Yes, how much...?

jayd8888 repped this.
  7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He started both the Guatemala games in 2016. There was like a 3 year gap between appearances before that though.

Soaker888 repped this.
  8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    In addition to the "how much would he cost" question, I would also hope that he would at more be given a two year contract at his age, with an option year.

9. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Gringo (as in Notre Americano) Castillo! Hell yeah! Please make this happen.

10. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Here's something to think about.
    Why was columbus the team that Austin was looking at?
    The Rapids should be a prime target to relocate.
    Heck, they could stink for 10 years straight and sellout every game. Kroenke s dream scenario

11. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Gringo spend some time playing centrally in midfield as well?

12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the owner (Precourt) of the Crew who wants it in Austin, not much has come out from Austin.

13. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Actually, I don't see why the Rapids would be a prime target to relocate. Denver is a much bigger place with reasonable summers for outdoor viewing. If I had to choose between the two locations, Denver is an easy win from an ownership perspective.

I blame most of the attendance woe's due to ownership (which includes investment, choosing a location, etc.). Kroenke would have an even bigger attendance issue in Austin given the choices they make. Maybe not in year 1 due to excitement, but it would wear off quickly.

An owner who would do well in Austin (and many would), would absolutely clean up in Denver. Not that I am saying Austin shouldn't get a team (15 years there showed me it would be a great spot), just that Denver shouldn't be a "move" target unless the goal was to use the move to get Kroenke out of ownership by selling to someone in Austin, then expanding with new owners in Denver.

rod.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids have like ten more years on their contract with Dicks I'm pretty sure. So that's strike one. Strike two is Kroenke. His family doesn't care about the Rapids. But what he does care about is real estate. And all those condos, shopping malls etc which are going up in commerce city near the stadium. KSE has a hand in the majority of those. They own over 900 acres of development out there. Honestly the Rapids are pretty irrelevant as a soccer team to KSE. It's the things around the Rapids that are making them money. They obviously have Investments in the ticketing and tv side of the team that wouldn't make too much sense to break away just the MLS team from all their other Denver operations.

Then there's the non KSE factors like Denver being 17th largest tv market and Columbus being 32. 19th in metro population vs Columbus 34. If you are a fan worried about relocation I'd say RSL is the a much more likely target. Not that they are going to move but they are one of the smallest tv and population markets.

fortcollins, JasonMa and Rod1916 repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard form a bunch of sources that the entire DSGP complex is a big money maker for Kroenke sports (spring, summer and fall soccer/lacrosse/field hockey/ultimate tournaments and leagues, concerts, events etc. Now that housing is expanding right up against the stadium, it isn't going to be seen as being as "far away" as the location has been in the past.

Real Corona and JasonMa repped this.
  18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Some quotes from Boniface's article:

Asked what input a new coach would have on player acquisitions, Smith said that is why their exhaustive search was so important.

“When you identify a coach who shares the same philosophy and vision, then you obviously put yourself in a position where the players you’re identifying are absolutely in line with everyone’s thinking,” Smith said.

Smith said the Rapids have identified a number of key additions they are targeting this offseason. In the short term, Smith said he’s looking for a left wing back and an attacking midfielder. He said those players should play with intensity, urgency and boldness.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i like the idea of the overhaul of the FO but i'd like those positions filled before the start of preseason (particularly the director of player personnel).

fortcollins repped this.
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Absolutely. There is no reason that there can't be more or less a full compliment of new FO personnel by say mid-January to the beginning of February.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preseason starts mid/late-Jan. Maybe earlier this year with the CCL.

23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Left wing back = Edgar Castillo?

24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The term "Wing Back" is general used when playing 3 CB's or Central Defenders.

So 2-5-3 maybe?

25. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Based on some recent memorable matches we may want 5 guys (4 backs + mostly stay home d-mid) rather than 3 in front of our GK?