2017-2018 Offseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by fortcollins, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Yea, hard to take stock of the Wellington general manager's comments. Is the RFO low-balling everyone or just this one guy? Who knows. Hope it's not everyone. But considering that Krishna isn't really proven at other levels and is getting up in age for a forward who relies primarily on speed/quickness, I'd much prefer them to shoot low than shoot high... at least for him (i.e., save that bigger offers for more proven, younger players). And frankly, while that Wellington GM feels the RFO offer for Krishna was embarrassingly low, I'd wager that the rest of the planet might feel that this GM's demand for a $750K to $1M transfer fee for a semi-unproven, aging guy (who doesn't seem to want to be there anyway) is embarrassingly high. But that's his prerogative to demand high to block other offers, and the RFO's prerogative to get a good deal. It was probably a deal that was dead from day one because of the disparity. Now, if we start hearing "embarrassingly low" vibes from other RFO pursuits, then we may have a problem. But, based on what we learned from that Keseru situation (and Price, Smith, and Wilson), I'm thinking/assuming that's not the case. The beauty... Nobody knows.

COMtnGuy, Soaker888, Andy126 and 2 others repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real concern I have is somebody speaking openly about the Rapids that way. I'm guessing the Rapids don't have the best rep so a public statement of an "embarrassingly low" offer doesn't help, even if it is likely inaccurate.

COMtnGuy and Maarten van 242 repped this.
  3. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, a month ago the papers were talking about a sum of money for Krishna that was bordering on overpriced. Now thats an "embarrassing" offer? Big talk from a last place team in a league thats inferior to MLS.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jason, is that all of our draft picks now playing elsewhere?

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Jackson and Olson are still in camp.

Totoro and Stuart95 repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy, zapem_10 and Soaker888 repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like there's something to this one!

COMtnGuy, Totoro, Rod1916 and 5 others repped this.
  9. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Ugh. Yea, he’s the guy named in unofficial rumors last Sunday/Monday. As I recall from checking then, he’s a serial loanee... year to year with different teams over a number of years. Never stuck with anyone... Which makes ya wonder. The above “ugh” reflects the feeling of “this is what we’re left with?” Not too excited if it happens. Then again it’s better than none... Barely.

10. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Self-counterpoint: Despite being a regular loanee for several years, I hope the salaries/fees associated with him over recent years is more reflective of his skills than his long loan list. If this happens, hoping my skepticism is misplaced and he turns into an MLS ringer. Just wish the big striker signing was more clear cut as a big deal. Anyway...

Soaker888 repped this.
  11. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Some footage of the near/apparent loan signing.

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Mason is not bad option. He's that gritty Kevin Doyle type but is a much better finisher. He's also in that Doyle mold in that he can drop a little deeper and makes runs or supply a decent pass. Mason is certainly not a name that sticks out and is by no stretch of the imagination, flashy but he's effective. We need effective. We need consistent. If Steven Goff reported the interest, there is probably a good chance this is happening. Goff knows his shit.

jimijam28 and Rod1916 repped this.
  13. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    #1163 Soaker888, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    2D536544-6291-4F18-924A-CC3651F8986A-738-000000D072269F0B.png So... are we gonna change our home colors to all white, or are we gonna change our badge?

[​IMG]

COMtnGuy and rapidogordo repped this.
  14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duuuuuude you can easily make the Wolf's ears mountian peaks. :D ;)

jayd8888 and Soaker888 repped this.
  15. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am not trying to be a d***, but are you really talking yourself into Joe Mason being a good signing. Who broke you?

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the options the Rapids have, yes, he would be an upgrade. He's not spectaular, as I eluded to, but he's solid. Solid is better than what we have.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  17. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't know anything about him, but if he arrives I hope he scores more goals than Kevin Doyle was able to. Kevin impacted in many ways, we coulda used a few more tallies from him.

18. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Mason would be a good signing for the second striker/push Badji role. I don't think he's the key we need for our major attacking signing.

Maarten van 242 repped this.
  20. jimijam28

jimijam28 Member+

Nov 9, 2010
    Denver area
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i be happy with Mason, and sign other this summer.

21. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This quote from the first article you listed has me feeling like no thanks.

“However, his time with the Midlands club has been littered with fitness and disciplinary issues, and a move away this summer looks a near certainty.”

COMtnGuy, fortcollins, Rod1916 and 2 others repped this.
  22. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    I’ll second that.

No matter which career stint you search on Ross McCormack, you find disciplinary issues... whether it’s getting busted for drunk driving after crashing his car in 2009, busted for illegal dumping in 2013 (?? Illegal dumping as a multi-millionaire?), recent suspensions at Melbourne or Villa for repeatedly skipping practice, or people calling him Melbourne’s “bad boy”. An infraction here or there is fine and human. But this guy seems to have a long-lasting struggle with finding his moral compass. Some may find this kind of “grit” needed. But in most cases, it catches up and causes team drama. If these other managers had trouble with him, it’s tough to assume Hudson could somehow keep him in check.

Soaker888, Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1173 m vann, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    McCormack is no Joey Barton. Yeah, sure he's had some issues here and there but they've all been relatively minor sans the DUI. He's moody, egotistical, and has had run-ins with club management. Most of those run-ins were contractual differences. In the squeaky clean imagine of MLS (and American players) we often forget that's almost the norm across the pond with professional players. I am not excusing the issues or defending them just simply saying sometimes those "issues" are dramatized in the British press to create the villian, the bad boy. The English eat that shit up. McCormack has also been the stand-in captain at times for Leeds and Fulham for whatever that's worth. If the dude can get the job done, score goals, help his team win, then I can deal with a moody, egotisctical asshole.

24. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Yea. Don’t necessarily disagree with this. But, regardless of sport or nation, the egotistical assholes tend to split the locker room and disrupt positive team chemistry more often than not. Even tho they may bring skill, I’d pass on it any day.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, they can. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors. I never too much stock into what reports say or don’t say. Regardless, winning trumps all. You win and all the other shit is fodder.