2017-2018 Offseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by fortcollins, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine cost of living in Bulgaria is very high. But MLS is one of the few leagues on the planet that you know 100% will pay you your contract. Although Ludogorets beinga big club probably pay out on time.

2. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I'm bored so a little math.
    Convert to USD $850K- Income Tax (Bulgaria= 10%)= $765K- Cost of Living adjustment (choosing 40%)= $460K.

Anyways, if he costs anything over the DP threshold we need to run, not walk, away from him.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with a bit over (say $650K give or take) but nothing more.

4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So given just one DP slot left, you're good with him being the main scoring man in this rebuild?

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $650K means we can use TAM to buy him down and still have the DP slot open. That's what I'm thinking.

Real Corona, jayd8888 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish these amounts were more Translucent but then again, it would give agents a clear picture of what we could spend too.

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

Soaker888 repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is interesting...

COMtnGuy and Real Corona repped this.
  9. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sports Yak repped this.
  10. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they trade Axel, we better get back a great player.
    So few draft picks will start and excel (or 'axcel'?), dumping one is stupid from a $$ point of view.

They going to more Boating there or something???

R

11. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boateng......dang spell check

12. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the need for depth at CB in the 3-5-2, I'd rather keep Axel. I'd also like to bring back Burling for depth and continuity in the locker room.

Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  13. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Ya know, I get the sense Axel is injury prone. Mostly b/c of his size.. harder he falls, more stress on joints and muscle cuz of size/wt., also kinda slow. Just opinion really, but if they get a good replacement I'll be fine with it. Not taking away from the great job he's done.
    @Stuart95 : agreed, need more depth at the position.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there's two parts to this. Should we trade him and when do we do it. I can see a case for trading Sjoberg. He hasn't been the healthiest player and his play last year suffered for it. If that was a one off and you expect him to recover and improve, you probably want to keep him. If you think 2016 and 2017 represents the typical run from him though trading him makes sense. He's got a good rep right now but a couple of more seasons and maybe his value goes down.

All that said, now is not a great time to trade him. We're moving to a 3-5-2 and we have maybe 2 MLS starter quality CBs on the roster. If we were to trade Sjoberg our best CB would be Kortne Ford. No offense to Kort but he's not the guy I want leading our defense. As it is we need to sign 1, maybe 2 MLS starter CBs. Trading Sjoberg now would increase those numbers by one. With preseason starting in 6 days can we sign 2-3 CBs? I doubt it.

So generally I'd be against this move right now. Maybe the next 3 days will be a bunch of signings and we'll have the depth to move him bur right now, no.

15. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I don’t think you even entertain offers for one your two starting CB’s six days before the preseason without a worthy replacement already lined up. A complete guess here, but this may indicate that 1-2 signings are likely imminent (with at least one CB) and this ends up as a move for TAM and/or an intl roster spot with Axel being one of the few players left on the roster with some level of market value that Management is willing to part with in order to make room.

Agreed with Soaker888 that it doesn’t take away from the great job he has done.

Soaker888 and jayd8888 repped this.
  16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS has given each team up to 2.8 million in Discretionary TAM per year in 2018 or 2019. This isn't monopoly MLS money as the club has to fund it themselves but they cannot trade it. So it's a question of if Kroenke Sports wants to spend it or not. Plus there's 1.2 million in TAM that MLS funds that can be traded.

So really a 650 contract bought down to even the minimum 150, depending on the Rapids other salary commitments for the right player would be almost a pittance.

Soaker888 and JasonMa repped this.
  17. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    How about $400k + $50k for every goal after 10, and $75k for playoff goals (after 10 and obviously only if we make them)?

18. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you play 3 across the back line they need to be very mobile, I was thinking Axel could cover the Center of the back 3 but maybe the new coach after watching film thinks it will not work. Plus like others have said, injuries are a theme with him.

Super Draft is Friday I think, If he 's here at end of that day then hes here for season.

JasonMa repped this.
  19. IndyRapids04

IndyRapids04 Member

May 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
  21. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    McBean and Blomberg have scored double digit goals in their pro careers.

IndyRapids04 repped this.
  22. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Looks like perhaps some smoke with the fire around Smith:

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/33000

Fits in if Axel moves on, I would guess a move while Axel's trade value is high and bring in one of the coach's known people.

23. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Yea, saw this pop up on Twitter a short while ago. Interesting. It seems to parallel the Keseru story. Just as Ipswich is apparently waiting (per manager) to fill the Ipswich CB void before releasing Smith to Rapids, Ludogorets is apparently (at least per rumors) waiting to lock in their new forward to fill the Keseru void before releasing Keseru. Multiple rumors out of Poland say that they have their guy in Polish national Jakub Świerczok who is aiming to move from Zagłebie Lubin in Poland to Ludogorets in Bulgaria. It sounds like that multi-transfer deal is much further along in progress than the Smith situation... again, per the rumor reports out of Eastern Europe. Nonetheless, plenty of moving parts. If in Vegas, I'd wager on both Keseru and Smith being here in coming weeks. If not, I heard the international phenoms, Zat Knight and the Luis Eduardo “Edu” Schmidt are hot on the market as top notch CB and striker, respectively [twitching in fetal position thinking about Paul Bravo's past brilliance].

24. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Here's one of many reports out of Poland and Bulgaria of a new striker moving to Ludogorets to (presumably) take Keseru's spot... freeing him up for transfer to Rapids.

953744439528316929 is not a valid tweet id

Andy126 repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how just a few days ago the manager was claiming they hadn't yet had contact from the Rapids.

This deal looks just done enough to proceed to the traditional Rapids stage of falling apart at the very end (because Ipswich never signs a replacement).

jayd8888, Real Corona, Dom. FC and 3 others repped this.