2017-2018 Offseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by fortcollins, Sep 30, 2017.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop me if you've heard that one before...

COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids are so awful that this isn't a one-year turnaround. The key for me is whether there is an actual plan, rather than RFO babbling about a mythical plan. If there is a real plan, and it takes a couple years to execute it, I'm OK with that. If it's just talk, then HIAB.*

*heard it all before.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry but no. There's no reason a MLS team can't go from awful to "make the playoffs" in one offseason. I'm not expecting to win a trophy next year (outside of the RMC) but "going the right way" is a moral victory that isn't enough. Not after seven seasons with a single playoff series victory (and that on PKs). Its asking too much of the fanbase to say "trust us for one more year".

4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Stop ;) . . . You've heard it from Pádraig before. Prior to his coming into power. So now he's on the hot seat more than ever as he's also stated that they are going to be competitive this season in big part by bringing in some better talent.

I've believed this for years. And should the Rapids come back to the fans in the middle of the season and state that they need more time to develop a playoff contender they will really catch heck from the hard core fans.

Bridgeman and JasonMa repped this.
  5. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see any reason for a hard fast rule. This isn't 2007 or 2002 and each year seems to have its own twists. It also isn't 2016 which wasn't exactly all that satisfying either even though they finished 2nd. I want improvement. I'd like the playoffs but if the terms of being in the playoffs are that we have to line up on the 18 and score against the run of play - then I guess I'm not really looking for that either.

I'm hopeful, more so than I have been in some time though I don't know why. Or, rather I know that I never trusted or took to Bravo or Hinchey.

Soaker888, Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  6. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Truer words were never spoken.

I see Smith and Hudson as dramatically different than Hinchey and Bravo. I suspect they're trying to do what they say (results matter so the jury is out) and that they have not and will not treat the fans in the same patronizing, belittling, and disrespectful way the previous management did. The fan "experience" is already better given the tone of communication and sense of responsibility coming from the current RFO. Acquisitions are happening, a couple even respectable. I expect more, and better... (keeping tabs and revising opinion). I say this from a place of optimism, not a blind buy-in. I however begrudge no one their pessimism in this current endeavor. That right has been earned over the past several years as Rapids fans.

m vann and JasonMa repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 of the last 7 years being some of the worst in team history is a pretty good reason not to ask the fans to continue to be patient. ;)

We all know my opinion of Hinchey but I gave Bravo more credit/latitude than it turned out he deserved. While he still did well with intra-MLS moves and American players his international signings were overall a disaster.

COMtnGuy, wormhole and jayd8888 repped this.
  8. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't resist:

9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #659 COMtnGuy, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Yes but Trading for Nguyen as the rumor goes means those hyped forwards couldn't be DP level (No Nguyen, one could be) per MLS rules and our roster.

IndyRapids04 repped this.
  10. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another name.

COMtnGuy, Totoro and Stuart95 repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the last 3.5 years he has 76 goals in 115 appearances. Gotta like that. (Admittedly in Romania, Bulgaria, and a 9 game stint in Qatar)

UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  12. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Sounds interesting. You can only score against those you are playing and he may have had inferior help, so this could be interesting.

JasonMa repped this.
  13. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    31years, 5'10", Romanian national team, lefty, hasn't played for any team I recognize.
    Probably not our DP striker.

Andy126 repped this.
  14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  15. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  16. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jason, we don't disagree here. Making the playoffs is the floor for my expectations. It's a glorified participation trophy. I'm talking about the team becoming a solid contender. That's a tougher hurdle, because of the rise of some exceptionally deep rosters, like TFC.

jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keseru looks to be a striker with some pedigree with a decent strike rate in Ligue 1 & 2 and with two other clubs, Steaua Bucharest and Ludogorets both who’ve had mild European success on top of their domestic success. Keseru is a finished product. At his age, he is what he is (not a bad thing mind you) and hopefully that’s a top goal scorer, if he makes the move to the Rapids. I’m intrigued. Call me curious. I’ll temper my excitement based on the other guy on our roster, you know that dude, the one that came from FC Basel that was also a leading goal scorer of mildly successful CL/Europa League club in a decent league. But.....with that said......I am actually happy we are involved in the rumorville. It’s been a while. It’s refreshing. Where’s there’s smoke there’s fire. Hopefully more rumors become signings.

Stuart95, Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://arenabihoreana.ro/2018/01/ultimatum-pentru-claudiu-keseru-de-la-bulgari/

Just to follow up on Keseru, linked above is a Romanian or Bulgarian article from today regarding his situation. Running it through Google translate it says:

Soaker888 repped this.
  19. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Maybe “Turkish” means “Colorado” in Bulgarian?

COMtnGuy and Andy126 repped this.
  20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    No mention of the Rapids/US/MLS. Looks like his salary would need to be close to $1 million a year.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gashi has a lot of talent, he just doesn't seem to give AF anymore.

Ludogorets destroy the Bulgarian league every year. Like 6 years in a row I think, scoring twice as many goals any other team. They are mediocre in Europe at best. Really quite crap actually, but then again the Rapids wouldn't get past the first qualifying round either.

If this dude is motivated for the next few years of his contract and isn't overpaid. I dunno what they are offering him. He could be a very good signing.

22. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

23. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Well logically that sounds less enticing than the 600k or 700k Euros that seems to have been offered by Ludogorets (see @m vann post). Maybe actually getting paid is high on his list of demands... ? Or maybe it's why CO wasn't mentioned in the article.

24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Europe taxes the Bee-jesus out of you and cost of living is approaching 2x that of USA.

Soaker888 repped this.
  25. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Counterpoint, at present exchange rate €700k = $850k+ or $500k = €408k, along with real signings we always have some 'circuses' for the faithful to keep their faith. Counter-counterpoint, even under present circumstances some people would gladly take a 25(+)% pay reduction to live in MAGA USA over Turkey?

COMtnGuy repped this.