2017-2018 Champion's League Thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by juveeer, Aug 18, 2017.

1. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    That is ridiculous because when Inestia did it, he got a one match ban.

However... it would be nice to see Bayern beat Real and for Real to have no excuses... it was very nice to watch Ronaldo flop and dive and he even let MDS outmuscle him on a loose ball.

I have a feeling that if Real get some bullshit call, that Vidal is gonna pull his gangster card and give a Real player a really nasty tackle and I really want to see that.

juveeer and TorontoBayernFan repped this.
  2. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    He needs to learn to make subs early if something isnt working on the field. Zidane used all 3 subs by the 70th minute because it needed to be done...

Max used only one out of need with quality on the bench.. just like he did in Cardiff.. against the same team with the same shit happening as it did in that game.

3. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    When some of you talk about going for the fourth goal, are you saying going on an all out attack? Juve did go for the fourth goal but it just was not in the cards. Once the aggregate was 3:3, much different ball game for both teams. Both teams looked to score but neither was going to take big risks to do so.

Dante and soji22 repped this.
  4. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    #2429 thinredline10, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Here is a clip of after the penalty call...

Notice how Claudio is up on the sideline consoling Buffon and Sami is on the field giving Ronaldo a literal pat on the back.... Lichsteiner and Mario step up in front of the dead ball to mess with Ronaldos head a bit and Sami comes back over and plays peacemaker and consoles Real players....

Mario kicks the ball and knocks it off the spot that CR put it... Giorgio comes in there and makes a divot in the grass where the pk is to be taken.

Some players bleed for this team and others dont... you just have to have your eyes open to see it. Its sad to see so many people not upset about it.

Pjanic and Blaise come up in the space and also cause a fuss showing their anger at the situation.

Daei_10 repped this.
  5. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hope you and Marchisio have a wonderful summer watching Khedira captain Germany to another World Cup.

6. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Why, is Manuel Neuer expected to not recover in time for the World Cup? He became captain after Schweinsteiger retired.

7. TorontoBayernFan

Jun 24, 2012
    Neuer's fitness is still in question. At this point it's unlikely he plays.

soji22 repped this.
  8. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Mandzu is a Real killer.

Rosay and soji22 repped this.
  9. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That would be a massive loss for Germany. Guys like Ter Stegen and Kevin Trapp are capable deputies, but they just don't have the same aura nor dominant presence of Neuer.

TorontoBayernFan repped this.
  10. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #2435 soji22, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    I'd really like us to make a move for Sergey Milinkovic-Savic and not Emre Can as has been mentioned. The Spanish-born Serbian international has grown by leaps and bounds these last couple years at Lazio. The fact that already plays in Serie A makes him a very attractive option. He's been compared to Pogba -- frankly, I think he might be better. He is a classy, all-around modern midfielder. He dictates play, scores goals, has great stamina, and is not afraid to get stuck in. I genuinely think that he might be one of the best midfielders in European football once the Toni Kroos-Luka Modric era is over.

11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree, we should try Milinkovic-Savic. He looks like he has high potential. I don't see Can as really Juve quality.

12. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Can is a great opportunity. How many players at his age have played that many games for a big team from the top four leagues? A quality free transfer even with slightly elevated wages would be low risk and high reward. Juve rehaps should still look into bringing in one more mid even if he arrives.

After seeing the way Khedira and Mandzukic stepped up, Juve should keep hold of them.

juveeer repped this.
  13. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Juve's possession after the 3rd goal dropped pretty significantly. It's one thing to not want to take risks, but it seems like in these late game scenarios Juve have conceded whenever they allow the opposing team to come onto them.

No one is saying all out attack, but that in hindsight it would have been preferable for Juve to at least threaten like they would attack. That alone may have cause Real to back off. Instead they were the ones that had so many numbers forward. Juve's players didn't do a good enough job of punishing them for taking such risks.

juveeer and gumbacicc repped this.
  14. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Your passive attitude towards said old guard needs to stop. I've seen too many excuses on social media (mainly twitter). The same people defending horrible mercato's by Marotta, never giving Allegri a complete squad. Making finals means nothing unless you win. Banking on Khedira to have a one off good game is horrible in theory and practice. He's not good going forward, doesn't have good vision and all he does is run. The game is about technicality. The ball will always move faster than a person. Chiellini was the sole cause of the first goal in the first leg. Buffon bailed him out consistently. Pjanic easily the best player on the field with Costa. We need pure quality all around. A complete squad. Stop defending trash like Khedira and keep making excuses for Chiellini who can't play the ball and has had numerous mistakes costing grade A chances/goals and we will get somewhere.

15. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Again, banking on quality that will never win.

Mandzukic has been fine at that position, but you need a naturally aspirated LW/LF.

Matuidi - Pjanic - Khedira does not win you the CL. Only Pjanic is world class. The rest is average.

Chiellini has repeatedly shown to be bad in big games sans the game against Madrid in 2015. Buffon should retire.

16. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Pjanic world class, LOL

gumbacicc repped this.
  17. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    We're going to have to break the bank for him. He will cost a lot more than Pjanic and Dybala did. Outside of Higuain, I can't think of the one guy we really doled out a great deal of money for in recent years. While I agree with your assessment of the player, I just don't see this being the typical type of move that we make. It's a shame, really, as we're just on the cusp of being elite and winning the Champions League and these types of moves would help us get there.

soji22 repped this.
  18. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I agree as to Khedira and Mandzukic. The one issue I have with Khedira is that he has largely been pedestrian for the last couple of years. These last few games where he has been admittedly excellent may cause us to lose sight of that. I would like to see someone come in and take his spot in the starting XI and have Khedira as a rotation option. I think we'd be in really good shape.

The other thing I would think about is moving on from Pjanic if someone comes in with a big offer. I like what I've seen from Bentacur. I think he may be able to step in and we wouldn't skip a beat--not to mention that at 20-some years old, Bentacur's potential is off the charts.

19. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I'm not sure how you can make that argument about Mandzukic where he was the only attacking player that has done anything against the likes of Real. You're also significantly overrating Pjanic.

20. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    And that has nothing to do with Real suddenly facing elimination? You do understand this is a game played by two teams.

21. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Nexy year put him on ice until the big CL matches. He proved again that he must start in those types of matches. What a big miss he was in the first leg. With him it's even possible for Dybala to play a false 9 in place of Higuain.

At 3-0, but teams are equally facing elimination. Real decided to push their fullbacks very high. Their CBs were close to the halfway line. All I'm saying is that the players didn't do a good enough job punishing Real for running such risks. This meant that for 30 minutes, Juve would need to be perfect defensively vs a team that always scores at home. They almost pulled it off, but one mistake cost them.

At 3-0, I don't recall Juve having more than a single somewhat dangerous chance. They hardly threatened Real's goal, where in the first 60 min Juve continuously had great chances. Understandably Juve's players were very tired which is why it would have been risky to even want to play another 30 minutes.

22. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Only proven goal scorers are worth what some teams will pay for SMS. Imagine Juve spending 100m on a single player them to flop. The pressure on such a young player would be enormous.

23. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    You are criticising this set of players for not winning the CL. We all want this for them particularly because they have come so close.

In reality, they have been marginally/controversially 2nd bested by a team that has won 3 out of 4 CLs. No other team has challenged Real as closely as Juve have over these 3-4 years. This was unthinkable when they were in Serie B or finishing 7th.

So maybe I'm overly appreciative of this group, but it's because they deserve praise for restoring Juve's rightful place in Europe's elite.

As for Mandzukic, he has played as a pseudo left wing. Alex Sandro is really the player doing the work opposite of Douglas Costa. Mandzukic is an extra CF that scores in big matches who contributed massively in the defensive phase. He started twice vs Real over 12 months and scored 3 goals. He was massive in the CL final vs Dortmund as he opened up the scoring. Until he stops doing such things, leaving him on the bench is a risk. Massive player.

Khedira in a proactive game plan just showed again how vital he is. His assist vs Tottenham and Real were technically brilliant. He isn't a pass master, but he isn't shit either. Despite so many great German CMs, Khedira is the one who starts with Kroos. He shouldn't play every match, but is a player that still has a great influence.

One can simultaneously believe that Juve need new blood and ideas while also reserving a place for experienced players that are still performing. It's not all or nothing.

gumbacicc and soji22 repped this.
  24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Juve did attack. One problem was that a few times, players were trying to be heroes & got the ball stripped from them. It was not one sided as you make it out to be. Neither side dominated. Each had its moments. Buffon made some good saves & often the Real players were off mark. It was the opposite of the first leg. At the end, there was the mistake of trying to kill the clock. But that was not the case when we scored our third goal.

25. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    You rightfully point out that certain players made technical individualistic errors in the final 30 minutes that ceded position too often. Juve were pinned back as a result.

Allegri mentioned this explicitly when he said Juve played a great game technically until after the 3rd goal. It wasn't one sided until that final 20-30 minutes.

soji22 repped this.