2017-18 UEFA Europa League Round of 16 1st leg: Borussia Dortmund vs. RB Salzburg

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by BVBFNM, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Quigs

Quigs Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Doh .
    Said in haste I hope or just plain stupid

2. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    Why is that 'stupid' or hastily said ? I don't think any team at the elite level would take a risk on him and outlay a huge investment given his injury record. His contract expiration would have been up next year, leaving him aged 29. That, and Dortmund have stuck quite steadfastly by him through his ups and downs. (There have been a lot of downs mind you). But think, if he were to sign for City (as an example), and then get injured, they would probably just head out and grab a younger more reliable replacement, so it perhaps wouldn't be in his interests either.

However, I also don't think he would have signed an extension at this point, when the club is a shambles, without some reassurances from Watzke and Zorc ... whether that is new signings or a new manager (Naggelsman?) come season end. But yea ... who knows ...

Dave46 repped this.
  3. Dave46

Dave46 Member+

Nov 30, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    See the reply above:)

4. Quigs

Quigs Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Whether Dortmund have stuck by him is not the point . Point is Reus is a top quality player and would have had other options .

TimBenneth repped this.
  5. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    And that is another reason to appreciate Reus :)

6. Dave46

Dave46 Member+

Nov 30, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    What other options? EPL would be too physical with his injury record, although, he would fit in at Arsenal, since they really need a quality LW. Forget Barca or Real and why even bother with Series A.

TimBenneth repped this.
  7. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    bvbSlash repped this.
  8. Quigs

Quigs Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Last year of his contract , so fee of approx 20-25 mill . Wages not high by EPL standards . Plenty of takers . I think he deserves a lot more respect for committing to a club that have lost their way , than you are prepared to credit him with . We'll agree to disagree.