2017-18 UEFA Champions League: APOEL vs. Borussia Dortmund

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by BVBFNM, Oct 17, 2017.

1. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    We almost scored in the end but Auba had an unlucky day.
    Just a bad game. So many inaccurate passes, no rhythm, too many errors and no real plan. The path to the next round is pretty much closed now.

2. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Very poor result. Out of the CL effectively after just 3 games. It was like the preseason and watching Van Gaal's United, without the fairly stable defense.

There is a genuine reason to be a bit worried now. It's vital to win on the weekend.

Quigs and Liquid1010 repped this.
  3. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The shine has come off for Bosz.

4. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    It is like this international break was a time warp back to the pre-season. Not good at all.

Comparing Burki to Navas and Lloris in the other game I was watching... man. Burki only didn't give away a second goal because the attacker couldn't believe he was given such a gift and wasn't able to react. 1-0 would have disappointing, but reasonable given the play. Losing 2-1 was possible on Burki's gifts alone.

Aubameyang really struggled. His passes were not bad, they were terrible. His shots, the few there were, were not good.

Gotze looked okay. Pulisic was up and down. He failed to get around the corner on the wing every time he tried, but he caused havoc. Yarmolenko didn't make an impact. Kagawa wasted his good opportunity (barely), perhaps body blocked his own man from a header opportunity, and didn't create enough havoc with his runs.

5. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Bosz may be doing a decent job domestically but he was clearly unprepared for the Champions League. Now

6. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The whole squad looks to have lost the plot under Bosz right now ....

eaglespark and Quigs repped this.
  7. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How can so many good players become so bad all of a sudden? This is preposterous. We are out of the CL. Our BL campaign is on a downhill slide.

Ratings:

Burki 2: Awful mistakes today.

Toprak: 2 games in a row he gets pressed and he's become the predictably bad defender I absolutely did not want at this club. Never seen a defender make that many back passes to the goal keeper.

Sokratis 6: Considering his last outing, he was quite good.

Bartra 4: Tries to do too much. Looked out of place out on the right.

Toljan 3: He's not as bad as he looks. Clearly isn't developing.

Schmelzer 5: Decent given his first game back.

Pulisic 7: Always dangerous. One of our best players.

Gotze 7: Had an assist. Intelligent. Severly held back by the coach.

Weigl 5: Hardly recognizable under PB.

Kagawa 7: Sprightly. Almost got the winner.

PEA 4: Poor outing. He's had far too many bad games this season.

Yarmolenko 3: Looked isolated and clueless.

Isak 4: Did not play enough to make an impact. His running behind the defenders and holding up of the ball has potential.

Phillip 3: Invisible in his cameo role

Peter Bosz 1: Simply awful. If it's not team selection then its how he sets up or his in-game meddling. It's almost as if he has never met his players. Kagawa and Gotze cannot occupy the same space so one drops deep, the other goes wide only to further subtract from their respective games. Does he not see that Gotze is best when he has a bit of a free role in those short moments following a counter attack or set piece and that's when he is at his best? So many no.10s are the first players who talk about being played in the right role and Peter Bosz does not have a clue.

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's time to write off the CL campaign. Bosz better wrestle control of this situation back quickly domestically, or I can't see him lasting long. I've said in the past that I'm okay with this disastrous European campaign if we won the salad bowl, and that still stands. But Bosz's honeymoon goodwill is gone.

Dave46, hava, Quigs and 1 other person repped this.
  9. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Now that we're out of the Champions League the only compensation I will accept from Bosz is winning the Europa League. If he could reach the Final with a much lesser Ajax squad then he better win it with us, and don't give me that crap about the meager financial reward, this is still an international trophy and one of only two European trophies missing from our collection. Hell, why not try to win the Bundesliga and DFB-Pokal as well? It would be 3 trophies in one season.

10. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

Every match it's TT. Every other post it's TT. Guys, he's gone, he's not coming back. EVER. Get over it already. When I hear TT I think of the Liverpool debacle...

11. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Agreed... We really need someone who can replace him any time or overtake his job.

12. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Stop dreaming my friend. At this rates I'd be surprise we win a single one...

Quigs repped this.
  13. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    The only one who keeps ranting about the awesomeness of Tuchel is slash.

14. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You can say what you like about Tuchel, but he was way more competitive in his two matches against Real than Bosz was against Tottenham and Real.

Quigs and Liquid1010 repped this.
  15. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I'm not disputing that. If anything our failure in the Champions League is further proof of Dutch football's decline internationally. I sincerely don't understand Bosz' insistence on playing Götze and Kagawa who are natural 10s as CMs.

16. Sarcasm Bot

Sarcasm Bot Member+

Nov 4, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    pep does it with silva and de bruyne at city.

[​IMG]

It's not the worst passmap in the world.

17. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Except Auba is totally isolated.....

18. Sarcasm Bot

Sarcasm Bot Member+

Nov 4, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    strikers generally are. Look at Gabriel Jesus last night against Napoli

[​IMG]

I'm not saying the tactics are good but using 10's are 8's can be done effectively as shown above with fullbacks tucked inside protecting the midfield as silva and de bruyne drift into the vacant half-spaces. Dortmund's double 8/10 are more static in Bosz' system.

19. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Apr 22, 2012
    near Munich
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can´t see Bosz staying very long with you guys. His tactics are clearly not evolved enough for European Top Footbal. I also expect you guys to drop some points in the BuLi in the next weeks.

Quigs repped this.
  20. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The reason why I bring up TT is because
    - He lost only ONCE at home and that was after the bombing incident in 2 years!
    - He topped a group with Real Madrid in it.
    - He did it all while having the same kinds of injury issues and without the benefit of a Dahoud or a healthy Götze.
    - Finally won a trophy since 2012
    - Most points per game coach in BVB history

Every other club wants to hire an intelligent and innovative coach. Why do you think Napoli is the way they are? Why does City in 2 years look like a club completely evolved? We have taken multiple steps back. PB is outdated not innovative. He's shown absolutely no signs of intelligence. Every single player apart from maybe Götze has regressed. Sahin is crap. TT knew this 10 months ago and benched that whiner and won a trophy. Sahin along with Castro belong at Bremen not Dortmund. Julian Weigl who developed steadily under TT looked average af last night.

PB needs to go. The problem is who do we get before it is too late? We've already sewered the CL campaign, are we going to let the BL go as well? What about the players we have in our squad who need development?

21. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Most here would have been fine with keeping Tuchel but that ship has sailed. We just need to let it go. The results were very good and he had great ideas (starting from his changes concerning nutrition/diets that I hope we kept). If he could have realised sooner that he has to work together with the other people of the club, he'd still be the coach. Simply being less of an ass would have saved his job.

But besides that, we had terrible and almost unwatchable games under Tuchel as well (Darmstadt or Ingolstadt). It happens. And how often did we complain about Tuchel's tinkering with tactics, surprising the team with unfamiliar formations or multiple changes within a game?

I think Tuchel and Bosz made/make the same mistake of trying to win it based on the vision of the coach. Instead of trying to force a system on the players, finding the system that gets the best out of the players available might be better and it wouldn't result in less glory for the coach. We now went from something like a 4-1-x with an often isolated Weigl to a 4-3-3 that doesn't seem to suit the used players. I feel that the formation between these two would be better for us.
    The only excuse I'd give Bosz is our FB situation that forces us to use CBs there. The importance of the FB positions for both the defense and the offense was visible the last few games.

22. Dave46

Dave46 Member+

Nov 30, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    So EL then.

23. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Yes this CL campaign was a disaster, I never expected us to go through, but to be effectively out by the 3rd match with just one point is very disappointing.

I will see how things are when Raphael returns, but I am the least confident about a Dortmund team, I have been for a long while.

Bosz the typical Dutch style, where players don't move much and the plan is to get the ball out to the wide men and have them beat everyone. It works when you have Robben or Messi, but that's about it. Guardiola to his credit has evolved past it.

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am a recent BVB fan because of Pulisic. I like all the BVB player but Burki is not anywhere good enough for a Champions League team. Top keepers stop all of the easy chances and occasionally make great saves. Burke gives away WAY too many easy goals. Not close to CL caliber.

lamcam repped this.
  25. lamcam

lamcam Member

May 19, 2004
    California
    roman weidenfeller 2.0