2017-18 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm a little more concerned about midfield depth now.

I'd feel less worried if I thought there were an endgame to this waiving.

Edit: wait, and a gam/tam trade with dc today too? Oh shiiiii

2. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOLZ. GAM for $140k in TAM. Wait, we got Eddie Johnson back? #9 in the bag and off-season complete. Let's do this.

3. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Johnson is still playing?

IASocFan repped this.
  4. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He'll always be playing, as long as his PK attempt remains in orbit.

KC Frostbite, mschofield and IASocFan repped this.
  5. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cruel,,,,but funny

6. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Necessary move to sign that mythical number 9?

7. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I think they called up every team with loads of unused TAM. We are in that category.

Does GAM expire that same way that TAM does?

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and no, by my count, Musa would have had to have been on the senior roster this year, the 18th on the roster. I'd expect KC would rather spread the potential salary cap hit of players 19 and 20 around the current roster or save it for other potential summer signings, meaning that waiving Musa was needed to keep a senior roster spot open.

Yes and no, all _AM expires, but it can be "earmarked" and saved for the following year, so no _AM doesn't really expire unless your FO is incompetent, which for all its faults I don't think ours is.

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So we traded away $140k in one and got $100k in the other? Gam for Tam. They aren't the same thing? Why is one worth almost half again more?

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, according to the SKC website, we got GAM and is "an annual allotment of money that is available to a club in addition to its salary budget. GAM can be used to sign players who are new to Major League Soccer, to re-sign an existing MLS player, to offset loan and transfer fees, to extend a new MLS player’s contract for a second year and to reduce the Salary Budget Charge of a Designated Player to a limit of $150,000." The TAM we shipped off can be used to "add or retain high value players and can be used to buy down the budget charge of a player making more than the maximum budget charge in annual compensation."
    Does this make sense to anyone?
    Maybe we are about $100k short of one full cap salary hit in the general budget, and we can use this to pay down. Okay, I admit, totally lost

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it makes sense, GAM can be used on any sort of player signing, TAM can ONLY be used to pay down DP level players. GAM can be used to pay down DPs too, but can also be used for more things, hence why it's viewed as more desirable than TAM and why we gave up more TAM to get GAM.

CCinGermany, Blando13 and mschofield repped this.
  12. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    Right and we totally fleeced DC on this. The exchange rate for this was set at 1.5 TAM per 1.0 GAM based on the trade between DC and Toronto earlier this month. Vermes managed to get DC to a 1.4 exchange on this. Freakin' genius, Vermes: The Master of all MLS byzantine roster rules.

mschofield repped this.
  13. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Vermes: Head coach, technical director, day trader.

mschofield repped this.
  14. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What can be inferred?
    1) DCU needs to pay down a DP and doesn't want to cover it with GAM. Rather than buying down a DP by $140k with GAM, they trade $100k of it to us for $140k of TAM and then buy the DP down by $140k and still have $40k of GAM remaining.
    2) SKC had TAM they were not going to use (e.g., already paid down DPs using exclusively TAM). Given the need to pay down a DP, and if a club has the TAM to do it, the club would always spend the TAM before touching GAM.

mschofield repped this.
  15. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he can execute the arbitrage and resell the $100k GAM for more than $140k in TAM, then yes, he is. LOL

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wasn't part of the big deal about bringing in Meghan Cameron from the league office was that she was a salary budget rules wizard?

17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What can almost be inferred: We do not see a need for paying down another salary in the near future, If we were bringing in a 9, and paying a bit for them, TAM would be every bit as valuable dollar for dollar, because the purchase would be in TAM territory. So we're looking at expenses that aren't in TAM territory, but in the general roster costs arena? Wait, does that make sense?

18. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Yeah i guess if you have a lot of players making like 400K and above, you can run out of cap space. At that point GAM will help out, and TAM might not.

mschofield repped this.
  19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You can use GAM or TAM, but not both, on a given player.

mschofield repped this.
  20. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the league website is spreading the rumor that new england is trying to move nemeth. aside from that being lame on the league's part, would the people on here who said they didn't want him back because he was going to cost too much to re-sign (he's apparently on $1m/yr now) be more likely to endorse a move now if we could get him at a cut-rate?

21. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't really think he fits into this team. He'd be competing with Gerso and Russel (and Croizet?) on the wing, and I don't think he gives us what we need (strength, hold up ability) at #9. If NE wants to punt him and pay 80% of his salary, sure, why not, but $1M is a pretty big sum for a guy who's had exactly one good season in the last decade.

And that doesn't even begin to address re-building the bridge he burnt down when he left.

22. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm not sure you're giving him enough credit for his holdup play and strength in the middle. Though he hasn't been able to show that at a real level since his Eredivisie days, I think. That said, the amount of foolish aimless crosses we throw in the box, I don't think we should play anyone under six and a half feet tall in the middle.

I guess I see his quality but not his consistency. And I never got the impressions any bridges were as burnt as a bunch of random fans continued to postulate on the internet. I think Pete would absolutely love the have him back, and I think he'd like to play for Pete again.

wz187 repped this.
  23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still don't think I'd take him. Part of the big reason he was successful for us last time was because we had another primary goal scorer (Dwyer) who got most of the pressure allowing Nemeth more space. If he returned he'd be THE guy and would be the focus more of other teams. I don't think he'd be anywhere near as effective.

Another thing is that Nemeth overperformed greatly in 2015 when he was with us based on his expected goals.

Given that for the last few years we've been underperforming greatly based on our expected goals I think Nemeth's would drop greatly.

mschofield and vividox repped this.
  24. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, I guess I don't really rate xG stats because they always make us sound like we'll be way better than we ever actually are.

mschofield repped this.
  25. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nemeth maintained he was a 9 trapped on the wing in our system, and would have thrived in the middle. In our very bad, low skilled, version of Barca, he would be our Messi, from back in the days when Messi was played as a 9. Clearly, that was not the position Messi was born to play. Also clearly, he scored a shit ton of goals in that role. Remember the year Villa went down and Messi was forced into the center role for almost an entire season, and managed to eek out 61 goals and 30 assists as a false 9 (if that's false, why be real), despite it being allegedly his third best role.
    For SKC, Nemeth would be that sort of thing. Better on his feet that in the air, quick and tricky with goals in him (maybe not 60). He'd be not so much the center we need or deserve as the one we can get.

kckicker23 repped this.