2017-18 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    figure it out

Sachsen, vividox, Roger Allaway and 3 others repped this.
  2. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He blasted Montero for going to "a rival" and said he'd never do that. He's trying to say he's not a hypocrite - because we are not a rival.

EDIT: And here: https://www.sounderatheart.com/2018/2/13/17009988/brad-evans-sporting-kc

Sachsen and vividox repped this.
  3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I was thinking exactly the same thing.

mschofield repped this.
  4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To be fair, we are no more a Seattle rival than any decent side in the west. Portland and Vanc would be their real rivals, I'd think. Cascadia Cup and all that

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This roster reminds me of how I was feeling about us in the days before Nemeth left. At that time, i thought we were deep and really well balanced. We turned out not to be, and it cannot have all been down to his departure and Opara's injury.
    But this time I really do like our depth, and I like our top talent, a lot. This is the first time in years we've met the SKC bar of adding the three top players to the roster during an offseason.

6. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well okay then. I guess I'm glad he's defusing the bomb he assembled himself?

kcfooty and mschofield repped this.
  7. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Evans was also a perfect 14-for-14 from the penalty spot, including his successful shootout attempt in the 2016 MLS Cup."

I did not know that. Looks like we have a late game sub for a Cup final.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    First rule about Fight Club, yadda yadda.

Now you've jinxed us!

9. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't get excited by the prospect of Brad Evans in Sporting.

10. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, has a Brad Davis feel to it. Did you ever warm up to him in blue?

11. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a member of SKC so I supported him, minimally.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the world of social media, we don't necessarily see the bombs he was reacting to

14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Question: as both Croizet and Russell are strongest on the left side, and Croizet looks to have been pushed onto the front line and Russell used to be a flat out central striker (with quite a bit of success in that role several years back in Scotland he had 17 and 14 goal seasons), is our new number 7 our new 9?
    Russell of course played on the right and the left, but left most commonly, and only sometimes centrally with Derby.
    Just wondering if Shelton/Rubio are 2 and 1 or 1 and 2 or if maybe they aren't..

15. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No, I don't think so. As far as I've seen, Vermes has never mentioned considering Russell for striker, just winger or 10. If Croizet does get pushed to the front line more (ugh please put him back in the midfield), I do expect him to be consistently on the right to play inverted, as is Pete's MO. I would expect Gerso to be the likeliest loser rather than Rubio or apparently Shelton.

mschofield repped this.
  16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russell actually has said he prefers the right.

https://www.thebluetestament.com/20...iews-with-peter-vermes-and-johnny-russell-mls

17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's interesting. Derby played him on the left a lot more than the right, though in his final years he played wing a ton more than CF and i was asking about that. His most interesting year was one in which he started on the right 11 times, left 11 times and CF 11 times. But his preference to cut onto his stronger foot jibes with PV. Would we have two DP level wings with stronger left feet who played on the right?
    Also interesting in that piece that Vermes described our mid as having two AMs (a really empty bucket?), unless that is also how he saw our previous wonky line setup.
    Out March starting 11 is going to be really interesting.

18. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's an empty bucket. It's a traditional 4-3-3 with all 3 of our mids in a triangle in the center with the wingers and OB's overlapping like crazy. It puts a ton of pressure on the wings which is why it's nice to have so many quality players for once that can play on the wings. It may almost force Peter to rotate players, but it could also give us the flexibility to play this for instance and get all 11 best players on the field at the same time:

----Gerso----Russell----Croizet
    ------------Espinoza----Gutteriez
    ------------------Ilie
    Medranda--Besler-Opara-- Zusi

Gerso and Croizet can always cut inside allowing for overlaps.

Or if we keep Russell outside, we can move Croizet to a MF spot and plug in Salloi or Rubio. The nice part is that we now have a ton of flexibility with almost all players (except our CBs and Ilie) being able to play multiple spots on the field well.

Hopefully now that we have the players for flexibility, we'll see more of that happen tactically on the field this year.

19. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I still think Rubio gets the start up top, but if Shelton can show himself as a Sapong caliber striker, best case scenario.

20. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be nice to consistently play 1 for 60 minutes and the other for 30 ... and ride the hot hand for the start and then get fresh legs for the finish. Same could be done with our depth on the wing ... or at the #8 position (between Roger and Felipe).
    I'd rather see Croizet play the #10 spot and have a rotation of wingers between Gerso/Russell/Salloi ... and Roger and Felipe rotate a bit while providing games off for Illie and Croizet as well.

Gerso/Shelton/Russell
    Croizet/Felipe
    Illie

With Salloi subbing in for a wing, Rubio for Shelton and Roger for a midfielder. But that's not likely to happen with Vermes lack of sub usage.

IASocFan and Inca Roads repped this.
  21. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm not sure there are many fans at all who would disagree with yay. It sounds like such a perfect, no-brainer strategy...

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evans was just officially announced.

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

24. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our CB depth chart
    Besler-Opara
    Amor-Evans
    Didic-Ellis
    Lewis-Smith

8 deep at the position ... we have ALL the CB's! I understand that Ellis is likely already off of Vermes "white board" depth chart ... and Evans can factor in at RB (although we're 3 deep there too).

25. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evans can probably be an Ilie backup if need be, as well.

mschofield and Blando13 repped this.