2017-18 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Oct 27, 2017.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Cover for Zusi in case of injury? Not a bad pickup in that regard. I admit, i was a bit surprised to find out he's only 32, turning 33 during this season. I thought he was more like 42...
    If he was the headliner signing for us this off season, I'd be very, very sad. But as an a page four fill in what has been a very newsy silly season he could be a nice pickup. Downside, hated in SKCland. Upside, versatile, can play across the back and in midfield.

2. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Again, it's not that I'm afraid he'll suck. I'm sure he will play okay when called upon. I would just rather see the young prospects we have waiting in the wings to get their chances rather than leaning on an experienced but injury prone and aging utility guy.

KCFutbol repped this.
  3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I see it as a bit of a positive for a player like Lindsey. He's 17 and shouldn't be given more than a taste of first team play right now. If we'd brought in 27 year old depth, that would be bad. Evans is clearly not a long term solution, and right now neither is Zusi. I see it as a sign that there is a path to the first team, and in not too long.

Blando13 repped this.
  4. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    With regard to number of international spots:

Blando13 repped this.
  5. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lindsay is likely looking at a "year long" loan to Swope Park. Evans signing is likely an indication that Amor/Didic/Storm haven't built any trust with Vermes (Amor hasn't been given much time though) yet and Evans is a security blanket for that. I don't mind it as long as it's not a huge amount of $$.

Too bad we couldn't get Colorado to take Ellis and an International Spot for the same amount of GAM/TAM. Just for the "salary relief".

Salloi and Musa are likely close to green cards so I don't think this hurts the #9 signing.

mschofield repped this.
  6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A full season of games with Swope Park is still a big step up in level for Lindsey.
    Most of his play has been against kids, and against men is an entirely different game.
    Also, you'd think LAFC would want to grab Ellis, just because the season is here and they're still at 18 according to their roster page. He isn't a starter, but he is decent and versatile backup.
    Course, you'd think they'd grab a bunch of free agents, as well, if they've got another 10 roster spots to fill

7. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does MLS still limit teams to picking up 2 Free Agents per offseason? Does that even apply to expansion teams? LAFC would be a good spot for Ellis, that I completely agree with.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they still apply, LAFC has already signed their 2.

9. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signing Brad Evans has a Brad Davis vibe to it. We'll get one semi-decent year out of him before he retires and heads back to Seattle in some capacity.

Anderson11 and Blando13 repped this.
  10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow, that is an idiotic rule, isn't it? But it would seem to say that LAFC are idiots for not picking up proven MLS depth like Ellis, and Saad, etc. They need bodies and if free agency is closed to them and international slots are limited, they're otherwise looking at USL or college kids, who might be helpful but are not proven in any way.
    {edit to add}
    and Nashville should be fighting them for such people. They will add their higher quality players next season, but having a core of depth players who know each other and play well together would be a huge plus for an expansion side.

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Except that Davis was our big hit signing of that off season, well, unless you consider the godhead Mapp, who of course goes down as the best bit o business we've ever done in an offseason.
    Seriously, it is worth taking another peek at our 2016 signings in order to feel really good about 2018. They only players we picked up that still matter are Salloi and Rubio, and they were kind of here before that. Oooo, and Coelho. Brilliant for 10-15 games.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Reminds me of the days when we signed Vuk Rasovic based on video scouting.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eric Dick and Graham Smith are signed. We now have 7 players on the roster who have played CB this preseason.

Blando13 repped this.
  14. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Ellis.

Doesn't this put us at 30? Assuming Evans is "signed" and Ellis is still on the roster? Need to drop Ellis before we can pick up a #9.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't need to drop Ellis before picking anyone else up. We don't have to be roster compliant until March.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even with Ellis though I count 29 players on the roster.

17. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about that ... but the concept still applies, to pick up someone, we have to release someone ... who that someone is doesn't have to be decided until March, but someone's gotta go (all of this is dependent on Evans being "signed" too).

I can easily see 6 players getting "loaned" to SPR for most of the year ... Dick, Smith, Lewis, Lindsey, Busio, Wright. Obviously they can get called up at any time, but if those guys are on SKC's roster, they ALL need to be getting playing time with SPR. Only Busio trained with SPR last year from that group, the rest are newcomers. Belmar is another potential loan, but he spent time and played well with SPR ... others need to play well for SPR for me to feel comfortable with having them on the roster.

18. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hm ... I have 30 if you count Evans.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's correct, he's not on my list cause he's not "official" yet. Apologies.

Blando13 repped this.
  20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can technically open 1 additional roster spot by loaning someone to SPR for the year with no ability to recall (unless a goalkeeper in emergency situations).

21. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A full roster is never going to be a full stop to signing a first team player, especially a DP. Worst case scenario, you waive a developmental player to make room.

Blando13 repped this.
  22. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say this - every time something gets posted about Johnny Russell on social media, the Derby County fans are there en masse, weeping and wailing with biblical laments that he left them.

That seems good.

If Russell, Gutierrez, and Croizet pan out, and if Rubio and/or Salloi can step up their game a bit at striker, then maybe - just maybe - we can score enough goals this year to actually get a home playoff game?

23. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

24. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It'll be an interesting season for sure. I think this is one of the best teams we've ever seen on paper, now it's just down to how well they can actually perform and a few lucky bounces.

25. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    "Also if you think KC is a rival because we've played a few good games against each other, figure it out."

I honestly have no idea what this means.