2017/18 Offseason Player Movement & Rumors

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    International roster spots' trade value varies based on the time of the season (when the Union traded a 2017 spot at the trade deadline last fall, it got $50K GAM). $175K of GAM is a good haul for a single season international roster spot.

2. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That shouldn't be in red if your owner is named Jay Sugarman

3. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bah! Tried to bring Dockal to the Union in my FIFA18 career. Unfortunately the team he is playing for won't budge. Sad times for my Union.

LiverpoolFanatic and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  4. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then, I guess Chris Albright and Earnie Stewart can't be replaced by computers yet
    #jobsecurity

5. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good event last night at Dave and Busters. Huge turnout. Lots of optimism from the fans. All of the players were gracious.

Some thoughts/comments:

-I believe that every player was there except for Dockal.

-Earnie told me that the Dockal signing had been official for several days but could not be announced until yesterday but would not tell me why.

-Chris said that he went to the Czech Republic, not China, to watch Dockal work out.

-Jim, like always, asked questions of me while we were talking. Most players/staff just answer questions and engage in small talk. Jim actually asked real questions about our interest in the Union, whether we go to games, what we're looking forward to, etc.

-Ilsinho said that he expects to be fit in 10 days. He will not be in the 18 for Saturday and hopes to be ready for 3/17. I asked if he's happier now that he can go back to the wing and he said, "Not really. I just want to play."

-Fabinho said he is 100% recovered from the leg injury that he suffered in preseason against Orlando.

-Herbers said he is 100% recovered from the injuries he had last season. He said it was horrible not to be able to play.

-Blake said that he has his green card. (Incidentally the Union turned his international slot into $175k of GAM.) I asked whether getting a green card was a condition of his new contract and he said that the green card process already was underway at the time.

-Rosenberry told me that he did not know whether he was starting on Saturday and that Jim generally does not let players know until the day before.

-We had a running discussion with several players about who is the fastest on the team. The four names mentioned the most were Accam, Fafa, Ayuk and Jones. I was surprised to hear players mention Jones. Haris claimed he was the fastest on the team which was met by lots of laughter.

It was a fun event. It sounds like I asked a lot of questions, but most of it was "Good luck this season" and "Will you pose for a photo with my son?"

cwelch999, CyphaPSU, OwlSaver and 18 others repped this.
  6. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thanks Mattylip for this excellent report! Was not invited since I did not renew but after Dockal's signing I will renew.

7. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is more work than the beat writers put in all season. Well done.

8. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two additional things I just remembered:

1. Matt Real denied asking Curtin to go to the bathroom prior to being subbed into the preseaon. I tried to joke about that with him and he said it wasn't true, wasn't sure why Curtin said that, but was going along with it.

2. I said to Trusty that it must feel good to hear Curtin say that he expects Trusty to have a bad game or two but that he expects to stick with him because young players make mistakes. Trusty's eyes lit up and he said that he hadn't heard that. I told him he should watch Curtin's press conference from yesterday. (Jim did say that, right?)

cwelch999 and thomas19064 repped this.
  9. hasuprotoss

hasuprotoss Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, it's very difficult to sign players in this day and age.

Phillyspur, buzzkiller23 and celt1997 repped this.
  10. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Peegate

11. Scottj10

Scottj10 Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I'm just hoping some of these FIFA 18 scouting competitions the team has hosted will bear some fruit in the summer window.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  12. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be prepared to be massively underwhelmed by the end of the summer transfer window, just like almost every other summer.

13. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't want to upset the chemistry that gets you to 7th place in the Eastern Conference.

14. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #914 Union42, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2018
    Hey, it's worked in motorsports where unpolished drivers have been plucked from the gaming world, so no reason it couldn't work for soccer, right? Why pay for all those expensive scouts and academies when there is a huge untapped pool of future Messi's with controllers in their hands, just waiting to be plucked from their gaming chairs? #moneyball

"Set the bar low and you will never be dispointed."

- Confucius (probably, but may have been Ben Franklin or Yogi Berra)

15. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at FIFA 18 is not a great thing, but there are Football Manager scouts who've landed jobs at clubs big and small. The FM database may be the most complete and most accurate collection of player data available on the planet. I get the jokes from an appearance POV, but there are many inside the game who regard the way the game models performance very highly and when I read a bit about what they do and how they develop, I think there represent some of the sharpest minds in football.

16. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is a touch of merit to Football Manager scouting (as a supplemental piece, not your primary source of information) - but whenever I see people bust out FIFA ratings I roll my eyes.

at the end of the day relying on video games to tell you things is silly.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  17. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree. My comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek about the Union using the E-Sports tournaments to convert gamers into soccer players, not uncover prospects whom are already soccer players. Perhaps I missed the mark.

billf repped this.
  18. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA ratings are crap. Football Manager is an actual network of real scouts watching these players. After a while, you start to gauge players using these traits. I actually looked into doing some scouting for them a while back, but I think our territory was covered already. It's something that I would like to try if I end up retiring early. Maybe Argentina or Chile.

19. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be interested in knowing what rubric is used for FM to maintain some consistency among the large scouting network.

20. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United States of Soccer had one of the FM creators on about a month ago.. the interview was pretty interesting.

CyphaPSU repped this.
  21. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a great documentary about Football Manager and it's affect on not just gamers but on football itself. As someone who has been playing it since 2000, I found it a great film. Some teams use the database extensively.

I think it's available on youtube for free.
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4046282/

22. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I recently started at the lowest level of English soccer, I think it's basically the 6th division. At this low of a level, things get a little extreme in terms of player attributes - some drop off dramatically. You might have a winger with 7 stamina (out of 20). A lot of the things are mental and technical subtleties such as vision, or work rate, teamwork, first touch, etc. It's funny how much impact some players glaring weaknesses have. I don't have to look at the game to gauge the following flaws and strengths. But when you have scouts evaluating these things, it's interesting to see how accurate they can be:

Flawed player examples (my fake attributes):

So you might have Danny Cruz as:
    Aggression 16
    Work Rate 15
    First Touch 8

Or Aristiguieta:
    Finishing 15
    Work Rate 14
    Pace 8

Or Roger Torres:
    Creativity 15
    Passing 14
    Pace 9
    Strength 6
    Stamina 7

CyphaPSU repped this.
  23. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dockal presser was good... personality is great, he'll be a fan favorite.. seems like he'll be a work horse. His answers also came off as thoughtful and intelligent.

Nobody asked about prospects of keeping him beyond 2018 or anything about the Accam TAM buy-down. So no real new information out of the thing, although it sort of sounded like Jim would be willing to bring him off the bench as a sub.

24. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't know how FM handles it's data but there is no reason data collected for a 'game' should be any less legitimate than data collected for a non entertainment reason. It seems like they and their customers take it seriously so they must be putting a lot of effort into it. I deal in non sports related data collection and one of the cool things I have seen is when you start to apply algorithms not only to the raw data but the data collection methods and it's reliability. It would be cool to know how far down the rabbit hole they go.