2017-18 Off-Season Schedule including Expansion Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Nov 20, 2017.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The 2017 season won't be over until December 9 but things already getting in motion for 2018.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...details-announced-lafc-preps-inaugural-season

November 27 - Option Exercise Deadline

Clubs no longer competing in the Audi 2017 MLS Cup Playoffs must notify the League Office in writing of (1) players whose options they are exercising and/or (2) players who are receiving bona fide offers, announced by the teams.

December 1 - Option Exercise Deadline for Non-MLS Cup Participants

Non-MLS Cup participants must notify the League Office in writing of (1) players whose options they are exercising and/or (2) players who are receiving bona fide offers, announced by the clubs.

December 10 - Half-Day Trade Window

Following a three-month roster freeze, MLS clubs may begin making adjustments to their rosters. This is a four-hour window in which clubs may sign and trade players.

December 10 - Option Exercise Deadline for MLS Cup Participants

Clubs that compete in MLS Cup must notify the League Office in writing of (1) players whose options they are exercising and/or (2) players who are receiving bona fide offers.

December 10 - Blackout Period begins

Blackout Period begins whereby clubs may no longer sign and/or trade their own draft-eligible players until the conclusion of the Expansion Draft.

December 12 - Expansion Draft

While Generation adidas and off-budget Homegrown Players are automatically exempt, current MLS clubs may protect up to 11 players from selection in the Expansion Draft. LAFC may select up to five players from the eligible MLS player pool. Only a single player can be drafted from any one club.

MLS Expansion Draft Rules

The list of players eligible for selection in Expansion Draft will be released by MLS Communications at 6 p.m. ET on Dec. 10.

December 12 - Free Agency Begins

Out-of-contract players and those who had their contract option declined who were at least 28 years old during the 2017 season and have at least eight years of MLS service are eligible for Free Agency.

MLS Free Agency

MLS Communications will make the complete list of Free Agents available on Dec. 10.

December 13 - 2017 MLS Waiver Draft

Consisting of players who have been waived by clubs and do not meet minimum years of service requirement for Re-Entry Draft or Free Agency; the draft is conducted in reverse order of 2017 season finish, taking into account postseason performance, with expansion LAFC picking 23rd.

MLS Waiver Draft Rules

The list of players eligible for selection in Waiver Draft will be released by MLS Communications at 6 p.m. ET on Dec. 12.

December 15 - 2017 MLS Re-Entry Draft – Stage 1

The Re-Entry Draft (both stages) is conducted in reverse order of 2017 season finish, taking into account postseason performance, with expansion club LAFC selecting last.

The list of players eligible for selection in the Re-Entry Draft – Stage 1 will be released by MLS Communications at 7 p.m. ET on Dec. 14.

Eligible players include:

• Option Decline Players: Players not eligible for Free Agency who will be at least 23 years old in 2017 with a minimum of three years of MLS experience
    • Out of Contract Players: Players not eligible for Free Agency who have not received a Bona Fide Offer and who are at least 25-years-old with a minimum of four years of MLS experience. or are at least 30-years-old with a minimum of 8 years of MLS experience
    MLS Re-Entry Draft Rules

December 21 - 2017 MLS Re-Entry Draft – Stage 2

Stage 2 includes MLS players who were not selected in the Stage 1 draft, but not necessarily all Stage 1 players as they can re-sign with their previous club between stages; teams selecting in this stage have the right to negotiate with the player for a new contract; the format of the draft is conducted in the same manner as Stage 1.

MLS Re-Entry Draft Rules

The list of players eligible for selection in the Re-Entry Draft – Stage 2 will be released by MLS Communications at 7:30 p.m. ET on Dec. 20.

7seven7 repped this.
  2. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    The test of this Front Office/Ownership group will be how they handle this offseason. Elis on Loan, Manotas contract up, Cabezas on loan, and is it time to offload Torres?

3. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    assuming rico retires, beaz retires and torres leaves---

which guys do you protect?

4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dynamo protected list for the expansion draft on Tuesday:

https://www.houstondynamo.com/post/...ect-11-players-ahead-2017-mls-expansion-draft

Houston Dynamo Protected Players
    Juan David Cabezas
    Alberth Elis
    Leonardo
    Adolfo Machado
    Mauro Manotas
    Tomás Martínez
    Romell Quioto
    Dylan Remick
    Erick Torres
    Andrew Wenger
    Joe Willis

Additionally, Tyler Deric, Christian Lucatero and Memo Rodriguez are classified as Homegrown Players and are not eligible for selection, and did not have to be included on the list of protected players.

7seven7 repped this.
  5. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so looks like Rico may not retire. gonna go play his last year in LA?

we are stuck with cubo so yeah

Remick our full time LB. Now who plays at RB?

Alex Lima could be gone. With Sanchez gone as well, who can we consider our midfield "playmaker"?

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The complete list of available players for the expansion draft. Remember, LAFC can only pick 5 players and no more than one from any particular team.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/10/mls-announces-available-players-selection-expansion-draft

Houston Dynamo Eric Alexander*
    Houston Dynamo Arturo Alvarez
    Houston Dynamo Jalil Anibaba
    Houston Dynamo DaMarcus Beasley*
    Houston Dynamo Calle Brown
    Houston Dynamo Ricardo Clark*
    Houston Dynamo AJ DeLaGarza*
    Houston Dynamo Jose Escalante
    Houston Dynamo Boniek Garcia
    Houston Dynamo Kevin Garcia
    Houston Dynamo Joe Holland
    Houston Dynamo Taylor Hunter
    Houston Dynamo Alex Lima
    Houston Dynamo George Malki
    Houston Dynamo Vicente Sanchez
    Houston Dynamo Philippe Senderos
    Houston Dynamo Charlie Ward

* indicates the player is eligible for Free Agency

On that link they also have all 39 league players eligible for Free Agency. Free Agency signing also starts on Tuesday.

In addition to the four guys noted above, Tyler Deric is also available in Free Agency but not for the Expansion draft since he is Home Grown .

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Some sort of logical fallacy in saying we're stuck with a player ergo protect him from a mechanism where we wouldn't be. It would be unlikely a team would lock themselves into that much money for a hot and cold player, but to me it's worth a shot. I assume people still have some Ching Hangup on using expansion drafts this way, "Oh man we lost Torres and 14 goals," but to me the mistake there was not dangling him but the lack of will power to clear the slot and cap and bring someone new in. Make your own assessment of the player and if it's "cut," offer him up any way under the sun.

The money freed up from Clark, Boniek, Alexander, Alex, Beasley is your playmaker. My sense they have signed the starting DMs (Cabezas and Martinez) and are now shopping for playmakers. The ball is now in Jordan's court, he has done the "negative" work of clearing space, but who does he fill it with. As with DeRo to me it's an easier job to clear a spot than to fill it right.

But, as with Bruin I would say that you don't avoid shipping Alex for fear of the replacement. Worst scenario is you lock up a non-finalist team getting older for more money. You hire the right GM and take your chances.

Clark & Boniek, I think you could argue we waited the proverbial one year too late. Their stats dropped off. When Sanchez becomes the bench force that says something about these guys. That being said it's a Brad Davis situation, I am sure on rep someone will take them just like we have Alvarez now. But our job is to clear decks right when they get old.

At least one scenario for who plays RB, looking at the protecteds, is Machado. I'd also like to see Wenger tried there though I doubt that is their idea. But Machado has both played there for Panama and seen time there for the Dynamo. I expect we will also go shopping for a starting wingback or two.

7seven7 repped this.
  8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    One of the players available in trade was Walker Zimmermann (now LAFC). Should we have explored that one? I realize we have 3 CBs under contract but assuming we didn't.

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you lose Cubo in an expansion draft you are writing off the transfer fee you paid for him - at least figuratively. Which is why he is protected.

Look, only 5 players out of the entire list of teams’ available players are being taken, its statistically unlikely the Dynamo lose anyone.

*rey* repped this.
  10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Ventura Alvarado
    Mixx Diskerud
    Joseph Gyau
    Aron Johannsen
    Eric Lichaj
    Michael Orozco
    Steven Beitashour
    Chris Pontius
    Chris Seitz
    Sal Zizzo
    Jermaine Jones
    Brek Shea

11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I am sure the same, "but only x people are being taken" argument was made in favor of risking Ching his year. And then he got picked. He would be more of a shiny bauble than many, whether it's hit and miss or not. Unlikely but worth the risk.

I think we've been looking to move him almost since he came here so I don't understand "but we paid a fee." I could understand ownership saying I paid good money make it work, which is not quite the same. But he's been dangled for years, fee or none. And I think it's a tad narrow of an economic analysis to look at it like, well, are we making back the fee. You are burning years of other players' prime performance saddling them with him. The more games the team wins the better attended. The better attended the more revenue to offset that fee. You're saying we have to plug away in working against the fee while retaining his services but it probably limits success and revenue to have a striker who disappears in the key games and playoffs.

FWIW Landin and other fee players have been jettisoned.

I don't think it happens, not because of the up or down accounting, but because it would be admitting a mistake. Ironically I think we'd rather try and squeeze one or two good years from five, and claim some success, than actually swap the player, take a slight publicity spank on the way out, but then have a million dollar player at striker next season, and perhaps more consistent success for the balance of the years going forward.

To me part of the job is an honest assessment of what is working and what isn't. If salary or front office reputation start to determine retention decisions or who plays, that's a distortion, the front office justifying its jobs not the best team getting acquired and fielded.

12. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    LAFC picked these players in the Expansion Draft:

Seattle GK Tyler Miller
    Kansas City F Latif Blessing
    San Jose F Marco Ureña
    Columbus LB Jukka Raitala
    Toronto F Raheem Edwards

Heft repped this.
  13. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If I was LA, I’d pick Alex.

14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  15. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    He's a free agent, i.e. no MLS rights held. No point in picking a free agent as you get absolutely nothing. In his case, he's headed to Asia. I've heard he's about to sign to play in K-League.