2017-18 MLS Offseason Roster Moves

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by carnifex2005, Oct 23, 2017.

1. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So what I'm finding out about Barco is that he is phenomenal but he is suffering a bit of issues finding passes.

2. areathrasher

areathrasher Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  3. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Just so we aren't relying solely on a media source:

I will say the fee is in question right now since 1.5 million would make him a DP unless the Crew has SKC levels of allocation money sitting around. Not saying he won't be a DP and the Crew didn't put it in the release, just that as of now he isn't.

Also, another reason why SJ didn't work to keep Bingham.

4. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
  5. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Well the rumored TAM change that makes this (Barco purchase) much more feasible has come about. Villalba gets bought down and Atlanta has their open DP slot.

6. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Yeah, there is a 4 hour trade a signing window prior to rosters being frozen at 1. TFC and Seattle have to release their option exercised/declined list and expansion draft lists are to be provided today as well. Hella busy for a Sunday.

8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

Thx,

Jay!

9. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
  10. Onionrings

Onionrings Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:eek::eek::eek:

sitruc repped this.
  11. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Allocation Ranking = returning internationals, right? Sometimes i get all these things confused.

12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
  13. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    #113 PhillyMLS, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Anyone on this list:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/allocation

Not sure if Sanchez should still be on there though. He went to the Fire this year after everyone passed on using their allocation spot on him.

SKC trades Olivera, Pasher, and their 36th overall pick to Atlanta for Jones, Tambakis, and Atlanta's 4th round pick in 2021. Assuming the Jones pickup is to keep from having to expose another international in the expansion draft as he has already announced he is retiring.

Harrison Heath was traded by Atlanta to Minnesota and Arturo Alvarez was traded by Chicago to Houston.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yes, so the Zimmerman deal to LAFC is interesting on two fronts. Zimmerman fell out with Pareja after the Gold Cup, so he gets a move to where he should be a week-in and week-out starter.

However, let the speculation begin on who FCD moved up to #1 in the allocation order for. THe twitterverse has thrown up a couple of names. Jorge Villafana, Omar Gonzalez, Emerson Hyndman, etc. A crazy as it sounds, Fabian Castillo is still on the allocation list. There did seem to be some bridges burned there, though.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  15. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

I know that LAFC won't take him, but it would be hilarious if they did.

Ismitje and sitruc repped this.
  16. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
  19. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
  20. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    Ibarra makes 300k and is a super sub for the 4th worst team in MLS.

Dumb would be LA selecting any MN players in the expansion draft.

superdave repped this.
  21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ibarra is wildly overrated because of Klinsmann's quixotic quest to find diamonds in the rough in leagues way shittier than MLS. He was bad in Liga MX and largely ineffectual for Minnesota this season.

He might get selected in the expansion draft, but that's because other teams are interested in trading for him, so LAFC might be able to get some value from those teams.

Egbert Sousé and Papillon Soo Soo repped this.
  22. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Your thoughts match up with mine exactly. I've said for years that Ibarra was over-rated mainly because he was Klinnsman's way of trying to prove a point about lower leagues. And the reason I think leaving him exposed is dumb is that, despite my feelings on him, I believe that he still has actual value in the league. His 300k salary isn't as big of a deal this year when you have upwards of 5 million in TAM to spend this year (which you can't spend on him, but you can afford to take a flyer on a 300k sub when you could have a bunch of 500k+ players hitting the cap for 150k). I think that he has the possibility of being a flip job by LAFC (6 of the 10 picks last year were just that) which is why I think exposing while protecting the coach's soon to be 22 year old son that has 360 minutes in 3 years is, well, kinda dumb unless you know there was zero interest for Ibarra.

23. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #124 Bluecat82, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    The question now is, "Are there 5 available players in the draft who are better / have greater value than Ibarra?"

EDIT: And to be fair, Heath was automatically protected as Home Grown, so which midfielder should the Loons have exposed out of Ibson, Cronin, Finley and Molino to protect Ibarra?

The Franchise, Egbert Sousé and JasonMa repped this.
  24. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and while I have the floor, I'd like to point out to the LAFC front office the absolute joy of having Vadim Demidov on your roster, if you really need to select one of our players. :)