2017-18 MLS Offseason Roster Moves

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by carnifex2005, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    #676 Kombucha, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    I would give Orlando the #1 spot as of today. The had a lot of room to grow, but added a lot of quality pieces including three proven MLS commodities in Sasha, Merem and Rosell. Plus Sane who was good enough in a much higher league, which helps round out a defense in great need of upgrades. The only quality play they lost was Larin, but Larin and Dwyer was never going to work.

Atlanta has done well added Barco an Nagbe, but lost both Carmona and Asad. They are probably a little better at RB swapping out Walkes/Mears for the Argentine, but not as deep. How much better have the actually gotten this off-season personnel wise? I guess it depends on how well Nagbe does in new role and how good Barco really is as a 19 year old. Otherwise, I think they will improve mainly from playing together and having a better schedule set-up.

Boloni86 repped this.
  2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Crew have brought in a lot of young talent this offseason while losing Kamara and Meram. Zardes seems to be off to a good start so far but if a couple of our young foreign players pan out we'll be in the thick of things again.

3. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Not that there was any real question since there are pictures of him signing a contract:

Also, I'd say that when an agent posts a picture in a TFC hat with his client on board of an Air Canada flight you can safely say this deal is pretty much done as well.

965894223160594432 is not a valid tweet id

4. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Seattle making a center back signing?

Also, glad to see that the agent finally realized he should delete that tweet until his client actually signs a contract.

5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    mbar repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Rapids are continuing their move towards becoming a British club by signing Joe Mason on loan today. They also announced that the small local fish n' chip chain, GB's (4 locations in the metro area, owned by British ex-pats) will have a window in the stadium starting with tonight's game.

So you can go to the stadium, stand on the terraces, have a meat pie, watch guys like Smith, Price, and Mason, and root for "boring, boring, Colorado".

ElJefe, deejay, Sachsen and 5 others repped this.
  8. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Well, not the MLS side.

9. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you sing: "How Rapid is Huddersfield on a Rocky Mountain High" to the tune of "Tipperary"?

Allez RSL, Sachsen, mbar and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Wynalda is right about the friendly with FAI? I knew it!

11. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does that mean "Who ate all the pies?" will become a standard supporters group chant when the Rapids come to town this season? :)

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ismitje repped this.
  13. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think you will be right on the talent upgrade though it may not result in as many trophies. VDW, Auro and Hasler at RB are a big improvement over Beita, Hasler and Alseth. Same with the LB/LWB positions and Midfield.

14. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  16. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    So who won the offseason? I think Atlanta, TFC, and LAFC make the best cases.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It probably says something that the news this offseason that got the most wide-ranging support from Colorado fans was the addition of GB's at the stadium...

Totoro and jayd8888 repped this.
  18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Orlando.

Gamecock14 and Yoshou repped this.
  19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAFC has 18 players, including draftees.. Probably a wee bit early to say they won the off season.;)

mbar, Boloni86, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  20. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Orlando hands down for me on paper.

Atlanta added two really strong players in Barco and Nagbe, but lost two good players in Asad and Carmona.

I think Atlanta will be better this year, but on large part to a more cohesive team and better schedule.

deejay repped this.
  21. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If they stay healthy ... it should be Orlando. Though it seems like a 2-3 year window before everything collapses.

22. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    JasonMa and jayd8888 repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to the HG signing, news came out that Aigner and Boateng will miss the second leg of the CCL as they both flew home (Germany and Ghana respectively) for their green card interviews. This is important as unlike other clubs (like Seattle) the Rapids historically have never prioritized getting green cards before, yet Aigner has been with the club barely 6 months and Boateng just over a year. It shows a shift in the Front Office under the new management.

jason1551 and The Franchise repped this.
  24. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #700 Clint Eastwood, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    TFC. From strength to strength. I think Atlanta had a good off-season, but I don't think they actually addressed their biggest needs along the backline. In their latest preseason game they started Larentowicz at CB and Sal Zizzo at RB. Uh........oh.

Orlando.......................great off-season. Addressed their needs wonderfully. No excuses not to make the playoffs this year.

Sneaky, quiet, good off-season? FC Dallas. Retained all of the players that mattered. Filled their holes. Added dynamic winger, dynamic left back, quality & experienced CB, opened up roles for promising homegrowns in Cannon and Pomykal.

FCD has to be the most confusing team to predict for the 2018 season. Could miss the playoffs. Could win the West. I don't know. To me the West looks wide opened compared to the East. You can make a case for a bunch of teams winning the West.

Its just hard to believe that the team that had the best regular season record from the start of 2015 to the all-star break in 2017...............................was as horrific as we saw in the second half of 2017.