2017-18 MLS Offseason Roster Moves

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by carnifex2005, Oct 23, 2017.

1. areathrasher

areathrasher Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Do you fear TFC now?

2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Settle down folks ... It's not like TFC didn't lose useful players that needed replacing. Beitashour, Edwards, Cheyrou, Cooper ...

You could argue that Van Der Wiel is a solid replacement for Beitashour ... even an upgrade. But let's see it first before we jump to that conclusion. He's only played 16 games since he left PSG in May 2016. As for players like Auro and Aketxe, they're not exactly proven at this level. I'm not ready to assume that they're upgrades over the outgoing players I mentioned.

3. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I think VDW has to be an upgrade on Beita. Has he played a lot lately? No, but Victor Vasquez didn't have a great time in Mexico before coming to TFC and look how that worked out. He also is offensively minded. Beita didn't help the attack.

Cooper was absolute trash last year and was mostly glued to the bench. He was good the year before though.

Cheyrou was another bench guy who was there for leadership.

Edwards was a nice left sided option, but not a starter.

Aketxe hasn't played much lately, but being on the books of Bilbao speaks to his quality.

Likewise, Auro has proven quality.

Bill Manning said in an interview that TFC dont rebuild, they reload, always looking 3 years down the road.

Aketxe and Auro are both young players with a view to the future.

I don't know how anyone can look at this years' roster and think it's not an improvement over last year. Additionally these moves made the team younger. Edwards is the only young player they lost.

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy looks about 15 years old in that picture.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A team that couldn't beat the woeful 2017 Rapids at home? No. :D

sitruc, Ismitje, The Franchise and 3 others repped this.
  6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    FYI ... Cooper landed at U de Chile, and he's going to the WC. Not sure why Aketxe is supposed to be a slam dunk upgrade.

Van Der Wiel played 16 games in the last 18 months. I'm not saying he can't be an upgrade over Beitashour, but you can't jump to that conclusion when the guy is coming here with so much rust.

As for Auro being an upgrade over Raheem Edwards? Again, I'm not sure what this is based on. A guy that spent much of the last couple of seasons loaned out in Brazil's lower leagues is mostly an unknown. Edwards was a known quantity who made 27 appearances last season across all competitions. Not saying it's impossible, but I don't see enough evidence for slam dunk upgrade.

Now, of course ... we're talking about peripheral players here. The title winning core is back. They're still favored to win the East. I just think the whole "do you fear us now" nonsense is a bit overboard. It's basically the same team from last year with a small reshuffling of depth players ... which is normal for a title winning team.

CANPRO repped this.
  7. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Cooper and Cheroyu both played deeper in the midfield than Aketxe has ever played. Best I can tell he has primarily been a CAM that can be deployed out left in a pinch. I believe he is basically a player that can let them rest Giovinco and Vazquez and not see as much of a drop-off as their current options at that spot would be. Cooper and Cheroyu's time is likely to be given to Chapman and Hasler (who played out right a lot for TFC last year but also played a lot centrally in Switzerland).

Auro actually should allow them to use Hasler in the middle since he will fill in that slot at RWB when van der Wiel isn't starting. The question is whether or not Auro is an upgrade over Alseth, who got minutes last year at RB when things were tight.

The biggest question mark right now is who fills Edwards role out left. Osorio isn't the same player out left in a 3-5-2 as Edwards was and I don't think anyone else could be a Morrow back-up in that 3-5-2. Course they could just flip to a 4-4-2 and use Morgan or Mavinga as a straight left back. One thing Vanney has shown is he can change things up tacticially to get results.

But the more important thing in all of this isn't the "do you fear TFC" thing, but the fact that for the first time you can actually debate if the best team (by far) from the previous MLS season is even better and deeper the next year. We are typically looking at what sort of drop-off we are expecting. The fact that we are asking if 3 of the top 4 seeds in the East last year are better and deeper than they were last year is slightly ridiculous when you look at the history of MLS.

8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    A common mistake people make in offseasons is only focusing on the incoming side of the table.

In reality, it's a bit early to give a final offseason verdict. Virtually every team will add at least another body or two before first kick. And of course the addition of players is ongoing even after the season starts.

But if I look at the offseason tally as it stands today, I see 8 clubs that have already upgraded their rosters from where they were at the end of last season. Colorado, Real Salt Lake, LA Galaxy, Portland, Atlanta, Orlando, Red Bull and Sporting Kansas City. Minnesota is just about breaking even.

DC United, Columbus, NYCFC and Dallas are there or thereabouts. I expect Philadelphia, Toronto, Seattle and Montreal to get in the black by first kick.

The two clubs that stand out to me as clearly regressing are Chicago and San Jose. Chicago lost a bunch of bodies, including 4 starters and they've only made one notable signing. San Jose has been a little more active with incoming players, but I'm really not feeling it at all. Houston, Vancouver and New England are disappointing too.

Another thing to note is that improvement/regression is a small part of the overall story. The important thing to note is each team's starting point. For example for Colorado to improve their roster is a pretty low bar. And Toronto breaking even probably still keeps them as the best team in the league.

Sachsen and JasonMa repped this.
  9. areathrasher

areathrasher Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Are your lot going to be as bad as they were that day on Tuesday?

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who needs a backup if Howard gets hurt. QED.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me introduce you to draft pick Thomas Olson.

13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    As we've learned some Ghanians look 6 years younger that their real age.

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Black don't crack. But seriously, that dude looks like a child.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Well, they'll get a chance next Tuesday. Assuming they're not all icicles by the end of the match this Tuesday...

<Edit: 2 degrees Fahrenheit at kickoff? What is Concacaf thinking!?>

JasonMa repped this.
  17. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    #InternationalCalendar

Thx,

Jay!

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    66 today in Denver. 18 forecast for Tuesday.

#InternationalCalendar

Sachsen and JasonMa repped this.
  19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Not strictly MLS, but he was an MLS player...

Thx,

Jay!

And another...

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anthony Hudson just announced in his CCL press conference that the Rapids have signed Joe Mason (likely on loan based on rumors) and former Salt Lake midfielder Enzo Martinez, who's been with Charlotte, Colorado's USL affiliate, the last couple of years. Martinez has been in camp with the Rapids since it opened and by all reports has impressed.

21. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Maybe, just maybe, Orlando has fixed their central defense.

965672787221340160 is not a valid tweet id

Sane was a starter last year for Bremen and was still seeing time this year. He apparently missed training because of the flu without permission from the staff and was dropped as a response.

Also, from this article it says that Auro (TFC's loan signing) turned down an offer from a mid-table LaLiga side to join TFC.

22. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well.. You definitely can't say that Orlando hasn't done some serious work on their roster.. If they do end up failing, Kreis definitely has no one to blame but himself..

onefineesq, Sachsen and TOAzer repped this.
  23. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I know I'll catch flak from Atlanta fans, but for me it is a toss-up between Orlando and Galaxy as to the team that has had the best off-season.

Orlando has added a Bundesliga caliber centerback to play alongside Spector and brought in an Egyptian-American to serve as a back-up with Aja. They added depth with RJ Allen at right back (he ain't going to be a best XI RB but he has shown to be capable enough to be a good back-up). They are a little weaker at LB unless El-Munir shows well, but Donny Toia has been passable at LB and it is a normal weak spot in MLS. They add Rosell to pair with Yotun and added the back to back assist leader in MLS to the midfield as well. Then they added a left winger in Meram that has 18 goals and 16 assists in the past two years as well as a 19 year old Paraguayan that has been a starter and has upside. They have upgraded in at least 5 spots and most of the spots they didn't upgrade were already pretty damn good.

The Galaxy on the other hand added a keeper in Bingham that is better than what they had last year and has probably upgraded two of the spots along the backline. They got Kitchen that, even if I'm a bit down on him in general, is an upgrade and they traded away Zardes, that didn't fit the system as a forward, for Kamara, who has 34 goals in 59 MLS games (Zardes has that many in 131). Their big question isn't so much will the pieces they brought in work out, but can the Dos Santos brothers be effective.

Special acknowledgement goes to DC for being interesting as well. Don't think they have done enough on the defensive side but they are an interesting bunch on the offensive side.

Boloni86 and Geneva repped this.
  24. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

25. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been a hell of an offseason.

jayd8888, rslfanboy, Sachsen and 2 others repped this.