2017-18 Development Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Peretz48, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Practicemakesperfect

Liverpool
    United States
    Sep 8, 2017
  2. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We'll be screaming about the creation of ATL2 pretty soon. They seem to be recruiting very aggressively and will have plenty of guys who could use some USL games pretty soon (and some who could use them now).

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Who could field a better U-20 side ?

Atlanta:

Garces
    Asensio-Crain-McGann-Bello
    Castro-Goslin
    Carleton
    Letts-Brighton-Jones

Dallas:

Avilez
    Cannon-Toledo-Terwege-Munjoma
    Servania
    Roberts-Pomykal
    Reynolds-Padilla-Ferreira

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know but hope to see it. And soon.

5. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Gio Reyna is playing w/ the U-19s.
    Hopefully playing up some age groups will help compensate for the general lack of competitiveness in the DA

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He should be playing up. He might only be 14, but he's a big kid. At his own level, he overpowers other players. He's an early developer, but also a pretty good player, regardless. Same situation with Scally in the same NYCFC program. Scally is an early developer, he's the most athletic player playing against players his age.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Do yourself a big favor and watch #44 in White (video 1) and #44 in Black (video 2)?

I'm sure you've heard the name Moses Nyeman before, but probably know absolutely nothing about him. He's a late '03, playing against mostly 01's and 02's. I knew something was up with him playing up that many years. if you check these DA boxscores, rarely do players play up that many years, I now know why DC is pushing him to play at this level. I've watched a few games of Sealy at this level (at the LigaMX U-17 tournament), and the level of impact wasn't even close. Thats nothing against Dante Sealy who's a big time prospect, Nyeman seems to be an outlier. Watch!!!!!

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The problem is this: It doesn't matter.

It matters who can field the best side of adult professionals in 5 years.
    Right now neither side is maximizing the development opportunities for these kids.

By the way, if either is going to start a USLPro team for next year.......................they need to be announcing that ASAP.

9. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    I wonder whether the holdup in announcing Dallas's USL team (or Atlanta's, possibly) is that they want the team to be in USL3, which doesn't start until 2019.

bballshawn repped this.
  10. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there was a soccer version of the Wonderlic test, this kid would already far surpass most American MLS players.

Holy !@#%.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree, very smart player, makes the right decision most of the time, sees plays a step ahead. What I think is most impressive is the combination of offensive skills (ball control, speed, dribbling skills, technical ability from set pieces, passing, really high level raw creativity) and defensive skills (ball winning, anticipation, work rate, athleticism). He's not big either, but he makes his presence felt.

Right now he seems to be a #8 or #10 for DC, depending on the formation for the match, but he's so good at creating attacking chances that you almost feel like his attacking ability is wasted running back and forth into both boxes, and that he'll tire out. Very interesting player because the ability is there to excel as a midfield ball winner and a creative attacker, and he makes a huge impact on the game already against much older players. Its of course very early, but he's looking like a real high level prospect.

12. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Know if he has dual nationality, or is he 100% "ours"?

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Absolutely no clue, USSDA listed his nationality as USA. I can't find anything else on his nationality.

What I find strange is that he had not been at any of the camps for 03's so far, is he definitely eligible right now for our youth teams or is it one of these deals where he's waiting on citizenship? Maybe @CreightonMCFCjoey knows something about this. He had originally mentioned Nyeman as a player to watch out for nearly a year ago.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Another article describing the free-for-all recruiting going on in MLS academies right now. Clubs are grabbing players from everywhere.

Union Academy residency program attracting top youth players from outside MLS territories
    https://www.brotherlygame.com/2017/...ing-top-youth-players-outside-mls-territories

“It’s my vision to have a residency stocked full of 20 of the best young players in the country that we’re able to attract from different areas,” Academy Director Tommy Wilson said in an interview last month. “It’s a game-changer. It separates us.”

15. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    IMO, uniting the region's clubs is not really a good idea. A lot of progress is made in the name of one-upping the rival.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Random notes from looking at the boxscores from this weekend:

Sam Sarver is absolutely lighting it up for the Crew U-15's. 8 goals in 3 games. He's an '03 and is really highly rated. They should probably promote him to their U-17's. No reason a player like him should be playing in his normal age group when he's doing that well.

SKC is very aggressive with promoting players. They had 3 05's playing for their U-15's in a big game against FCD's U-15's.

Nelson Pierre from the Philly academy has been absolutely lighting it up. He started the season with 3 goals in his first match for Philly's U-14's, and he's an '05, so he's playing up an age group. Last season he had 43 goals in 28 games for the U-12's. Its early, but it doesn't matter what age group, you put up those numbers, people will notice. Anyone know anything? @ratmalph maybe?

Dante Sealy ('03) started FCD's first game of the season at the U-17 level and scored. That team is absolutely stacked once again, by the way when you consider that they have Toledo, Burns, Hinajosa, Gomez, Rayo, Sealy, Redzic, Letayf along with 01's who will probably play with the U-19's this season in Reynolds, Roberts and Collodi. I wouldn't be surprised if Toledo is playing with the U-19's before long, either. He looked way above the U-17 level at the LigaMX U-17 tournament.

Tyler Freeman started that match for Sporting Kansas City. He's an '03, so he's playing up an age group against mostly 01's and 02's. He did well on the US U-14's trip to Croatia, so he might be another '03 to watch.

Familiar name Masango Akale scored for Minnesota Thunder U-17's. He's an '02. Maybe @Giggsy1986 can tell us about how his progress has been?

Jesus Ferreira played yesterday for the U-19's. I'd ask why, but I know why. Thought I should note that he appeared for the U-19's though.

In that same match, Busio scored for Sporting Kansas City.

For NYCFC's U-19's, Reyna and Scally played like usual. Everyone knows about them, but Andres Jasson (another '02) got 15 minutes. He's playing up a full age group, but the U-17 and U-19 age groups are two year age groups, so he's playing with some players a full years older, which is notable. Its not unlikely for the best prospects, but if a mostly unknown player does so in a big academy, its worth mentioning, IMO. He might be a player to watch out for.

Danny Woodhead, ielag, ckajMonet and 2 others repped this.
  18. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Ben Ortiz had a goal and 3 assists for RSL's U17s. He's an 01 who would probably play up if it weren't for Sebastian Soto.

The U19s won 9-0 against Nomads, with three 01s playing up - Booth as always, along with Luis Arriaga and David Ochoa (GK). Arriaga played up occasionally last year, but I think it's the first time Ochoa has been at this level. Arriaga hit the post, Booth scored, and Soto scored twice. Basically everybody scored though.

I didn't watch the game, but based on the lineup card it looked like Booth was playing as a 10, which I didn't think was his usual position. Anyone happen to catch this one to see if that was really happening?

19. GoingGoaling

GoingGoaling Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Atlanta
    I thought Booth was with the national team.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    There was about a week break between camps.

And in response to the comment @irondeepbicycle made about his position, I think he's best as a #8, but can play the #6 or #10 in a pinch. Kind of like McKennie in that regard. If he's your best player, you are probably going to put him closer to goal. Thats often what teams do when they have a really good #8.

21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs' attacking midfielder Isaac Angking ('00) scored six goals in his first three games.

The Revs academy doesn't get much discussion on these boards (and for good reason!) but Angking has been on the fringes of the U17 team and if he develops well over the next year or two might be a HG target.

22. ratmalph

ratmalph Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I haven't seen him play yet but hope to this season.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nice, thanks. Have you seen much of Kris Shakes ('01)? I've noticed he played some games with the U-18's (now U-19 division) last season. Would you say he's one of the standouts in the Philly academy? I've wondered why he hasn't been called up yet to his US age group, as he seems to be one of the bigger standouts in goal among his age group around the country.

24. ratmalph

ratmalph Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Shakes is a solid keeper (very athletic, capable of highlight reel saves but needs work in other areas) though he's behind Tomas Romero right now in the depth chart. Both were with the first team in preseason but it's Romero who has been spending a lot of time with the first team throughout the season. Neither seem to be getting interest from the US but Romero has spent a lot of time with El Salvador and has started for Steel.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sometimes we forget how young Ferreira still is. As of right now I believe only one FCD player on the U19 roster is younger than Jesus, and that's Bryan Reynolds.

Yup. FCD's youth teams just destroyed people last weekend.
    The one game they lost was the U19 level to SKC at a neutral field in Tulsa.
    https://t.co/CQv9Iime0u
    Its too early in the season to say that it means anything as the teams are just coming together. Still, I've been impressed with what SKC's academy has been doing. They've been the strongest competition for FCD over the past few years.

TCS35 repped this.