2017-18 Development Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Peretz48, Aug 7, 2017.

1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
  3. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I just learned how to do this and I came across this post when I was putting my France clips together so I figured I’d do this one. Not sure how long espn archives its games, too, so that factored in.

Anyway, this isn’t just gifs. Not quite an every touch either. I added the good and the bad, but skipped the mundane touches (like 1-2s with the CB or kickoffs).

I cannot stress enough how fricken long this takes

4. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2nd to last streamed match from Kenny Cushing.

This wasn’t one of his better games that I have seen. They definitely kept him higher up the pitch in the later games that were streamed on YouTube. He sat deeper in December. But that’s not really why it wasn’t one of his better games. He just made a few more mistakes than he usually does, which is to say that he made any mistakes. He usually makes close to none. He also subbed off about 61’.

I’m probably going to keep doing these but I won’t be posting every one here. I’ll put them on twitter and YouTube if anyone is interested but I don’t want to pester everyone with clip after clip.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think this game actually shows a lot of good. Doesn't have any goals/assists, great runs or great displays of skill, but I'd like to point out two things in particular.

Strength/defensive play:

:05-Nice poke and ball recovery after a loose touch.
    2:00-Shoulders a kid to the ground for a 50/50 ball. Didn't even look like a clear foul. Nice aggressiveness.
    2:15-Quicker to a loose ball than opposition. Holds the kid off until a foul is called.
    4:25-This play is just ridiculous. Well undersized compared to the defender. Out-positions him, quicker reactions, very good control, able to cycle back.
    5:10-Some loose touches, but fights his way through midfield because he won a 50/50 ball, holds off that guy fouling him, and then another comes to foul him and he holds him off.

Passing vision:

2:20-How many players in our player pool would even try this? Scoop ball over the top when he theoretically had room to run. How many would even see the passing option develop before it did?
    3:45-30 yard switch out to a winger on a dime. Fits it between two defenders. Passing option wasn't obvious, he played the guy open.
    4:40-He passes this guy open. Defenders aren't in bad position. Threads it through perfectly. Most CAM's wouldn't even try this. Too incisive for their game.
    4:50-This is a really nice idea on the fly. The defender just gets his head on it to disrupt it, otherwise the defender was in. He has space, but chooses to weight a through ball over the top.

Winoman and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think we posted this here. Not DA yet, but academy related.............

7. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *USSF sees all that talent in the above clips.*

USSF: "Hey, I know! Let's call up Bradley and Altidore again! Let's hire Bruce Arena again too! He was so successful at the 2018 World Cup!" [/sarcasm]

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  8. IHSSOC

IHSSOC Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Peoria, AZ
    I’ll be heading to Oceanside on Tuesday, with plans on being there for the duration (through the quarterfinals). Although my focus will be on RSL (U17s mostly), the goal is to catch as many matches as possible, should be a great week.

gunnerfan7, Anderson11, ielag and 7 others repped this.
  9. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't they put that in a state that plays year round?

10. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel free to take your most handy live streaming device with you. The website says that only select matches will be streamed so any video would be welcome ;)

IHSSOC repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    FCD U14s have stayed in Spain following that cup competition they took part in. Recently played games against Valladolid and Real Oviedo. Looks like they lost 1-0 to Valladolid and drew 0-0 with Real Oviedo.

The U17s and U19s are getting ready for the playoffs [U17s are #1 seed in the country, U19s are #2 seed]. The U15s had the second best record in the country on a PPG basis, but there are no playoffs for them.

Sup Bro, TxEx and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  12. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, from a player recruitment perspective these overseas trips for younger age groups must be a huge draw. Assuming the academies are footing most of the bill.

Imagine touring major stadiums across Europe and playing against historic academies as a 13 year old.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #489 Clint Eastwood, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    It looks like they've started in another tournament called Copa Asisa.

It looks to me like today's game was against Leonesa, which is a Spanish 2nd division team. Got a draw. Have another game tomorrow against Real Madrid. :)

I'm only able to keep up with this because Carlos Nava's son is on the team. Carlos is a commentator for ESPN Deportes. I don't know who else is on the trip, but kids that played on the U14 team this year include Santiago Ferreira (Jesus' brother), Ty Reynolds (Bryan's brother), amongst others. They had a very good season, but I don't really keep up with their results in DA or local play.

14. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know where the link for the streaming games will be? I can’t find it anywhere on that god awful DA homepage

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think there's some information here.....................

Not as many games as you'd want to see. It's all on the US soccer facebook channel. Today you can see NYCFC versus St. Louis, as well as Colorado versus Portland. Both at the U19 level. Who'd want to watch Colorado versus Portland? I dont' know............family members?

Winoman repped this.
  16. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wtf is going on? We had like every game of the DA playoffs streamed last year. Plus, all the ynt games were streamed as well as some of the da games. Are they paying by the kilobyte now or something? This is ridiculous

17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only "reps" translated into cash...:(

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Who knows..............................?

Probably because the number of people watching each individual game is just in the dozens. May have done an analysis that its not worth the expense............

May also have something to do with the venue. The Toyota Stadium complex in Frisco has built-in infrastructure, video equipment, etc. to film just about any field they want to there.

19. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i seriously doubt viewership is the issue. the Galaxy-Georgia United match last year had 132,000 views. Plus, they've been streaming girls DA games at the various showcases where they only got 2-5,000 views.

And if US soccer cant afford the $30-50 it costs to stream a game, why the hell are they charging so damn much for tickets to the friendlies?

20. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. IHSSOC

IHSSOC Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Peoria, AZ
    RSL wins 3-2 over Orlando City...goals by Ledezma, Mendoza, and Soto

22. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one mentioned it here yet because we probably all watched it but
    NYCFC 4-1 STL FC

IHSSOC repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    FC Dallas hurting two careers at once. Start Reynolds at RB for their U-19's (because he needs to get youth games at RB so he can do well as a practice player in first team training), which at the same time takes one of their best prospects on their U-19 team (Jorge Almaguer) out of the lineup.

Not to mention, Wilson is on the U-19 bench (backing up Alvilez), no Collodi. I assume that means they want to give minutes to Avilez and Collodi at the two levels. Doesn't make sense to me. Wilson is a much better prospect than Collodi, IMO.

That academy is just about rotten right now with the decisions they are making.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #500 Clint Eastwood, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    You're complaining about the wrong thing. You should be complaining about the fact that Jesus Ferreira is playing for the U19s this weekend. He scored a brace last night and FCD won 2-0. That bothers me more than the issues you're bringing up.

Bryan Reynolds is actually one of the youngest players on the U19s. We think of him as being older than that due to his HG contract, but he's only 16. He's actually younger than Thomas Roberts. Its "OK" that he's playing with the U19s. And if the FCD staff thinks that Bryan Reynolds' skill set actually fits better as a RB, then I have no problem with that. Kids move positions all the time. I don't know what's so rotten about this. When Manchester United converted Jonathan Spector from a forward to a defender I don't remember anybody having a problem with it.

As far as keeper prospects go, Collodi and Wilson are both UYSNTers and they're both really young. Collodi just turned 17 and Wilson just turned 16. They're getting plenty of games across the age groups. I'm not worried about which one is playing with which team this exact weekend. According to the DA website, Wilson has never played with the U19s. So if he's able to get into one of the playoff games this weekend, it'll be the highest level he's played. Maybe they're hoping to play him against St. Louis..................