2017-18 Bundesliga Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by bvbSlash, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Who will win the BL this season?

1. Echte Liebe (BVB)

2. Mia san Scheiße (Muncheat)

3. Dosenscheiße (RB Leipzig)

4. Software-Spinner (Hoff)

5. Andere Verein (some other club)

6. Mir ist es scheiß egal (don't care)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'd look to Italy for coaches.

Marco Reus isnt going to save the season. He was there in 2014-15 and was as crap as everybody else on the team. It takes at least two and ideally a core group to turn things around. Of course, without a good coach this isn't possible.

kbvb repped this.
  2. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Zidane was a gamble from the youth team then, he didnt even have a great record in the youth team maybe the thought was for him to cover till end of the season when they got a proper coach.
    Madrid did the same with DelBosque, Chelsea did with RdM and Avram Grant. All were youth team coaches given a chance.

What of Guus Hiddink? Old and less risky

3. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I don't think the players have given up. The attitude and intensity was good in the first half. The players showed that they wanted a good result and didn't shy away from tackles, for example. But after Tottenham's first goal, the confidence was shattered again and the display that followed, including the body language, was really terrible.
    There may also be signs that the team's fitness level isn't what it was under Tuchel (considerably less sprints and ground covered) which might be one of the reasons for the bad second half.

Bosz might have used something like a 4141 against Tottenham and defensively that looked better in the first 30 minutes. But the issue that no system can change is the high amount of individual errors, possibly a result of a lack of confidence. The blocks/deflections for both goals were unlucky but Toljan has to do better than that and Bartra looked horrible for the second goal. I don't think Sokratis would have let his opponent run away like that without a (painful) foul.

4. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    As for replacements, Hitzfeld hasn't coached for 3 years and I don't know how well he has adjusted to the changes in the game as he has been out of club football for so long. I rated Weinzierl highly for what he did at Augsburg but like so many, he failed at Schalke. Just like Bosz, he'd only have this one successful coaching position in his cv and not a proven record over time. He'd be available though.

I can't judge Enrique. Barca is such an extreme case because of their talent but he must have done more right than wrong.

5. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    #380 eaglespark, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    No he wasn't. This was the beginning of Reus's injury problems. If I remember straight even in that disastrous season with Reus the team were averaging enough points to make top 4. Without him they were averaging enough points to get relegated. The difference was that stark.
    Being a youth coach is more about bringing players through and developing them, which Zidane was doing very well.

RDM and Grant aren't good managers, but they steadied the ship for a season and managed to at the leas take the team to CL finals.

An interim manager cold do wonders for us.

Hiddink is a good option at steadying the ship, but last time at Chelsea he didn't really fix any problems. If he is to take over until a permanent appointment then that would be OK.

6. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC

I have mentioned this too before. The team clearly were not trained properly during preseason and don't look as fit as they should. It's in part, because Bosz's style is supposed to rely on players staying in their zones, but our players are clearly not as fit as they should be, but they are supposed to press well.
    The system makes our defenders worse, but Sokratis has been poor for a while, whilst Bartra has never been convincing. Toljan is not looking like he is going to be a great signing either.

7. Jiri Havran

Jiri Havran Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Oslo
    Club:
    Shanxi Baorong
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    What about Ryan Giggs? He's actual for several teams i PL as well as Welsh national team. But Dortmunt might be a greater challenge than Leicester or Everton

8. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Lmao this post made me log in to ask, you cannot be serious?

He is unable to get a job in England because he wants to manage a big club without any experience of working his way up from the lower league or youth division. No club is stupid enough to give him that chance after what happened to Gary Neville. Giggs is not as intelligent as Neville.

9. Jiri Havran

Jiri Havran Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Oslo
    Club:
    Shanxi Baorong
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Don't know much about Neville's intelligence, but as a fotballer he was on about the same level as Schmeltzer, while Giggs was a world class player, playing under Sir Alex, times when ManU performed well.
    He must have got something from him. And secondly, Zidane did also get a temporary contract only, to begin with.
    And last, anybody must be better than PB. As a temporary solution one could also get one of our youth coaches

10. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Diego Maradona is proof that ability as a player means zero when it comes to managing.

Scheherazade repped this.
  11. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Jiri, I may be biased but defenders and midfielders make better managers. Giggs has world class technique, that is not the same as game intelligence which is what a manager has to have. Neville was a captain and team player, he is leagues ahead of Schmelzer in responsibility and intelligence. He quit playing once he felt his physical condition had deproved and was a burden to the team. Giggs is a case of a player who wants a big time job because he is famous.

Zidane is uncommon, not many attacking players and superstars are good at managing, thinking about the big picture and planning team tactics. Zidane managed Real Madrid's junior squad before he moved up and who knows how he will perform if he is not managing the world's richest club.

12. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    It looks like reports are suggesting Dortmund might be considering bringing Wagner back to the club.

What do you guys think of this ? Did anyone follow him when he was the U23.21 manager ?

13. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pep Guardiola is proof otherwise.

Bottom line is, if a chain smoking banker can become one of the most coveted coaches in the world, coaching requires skills significantly beyond just having a playing career on ones resume.

14. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's just a fanboy talking. JK had a relatively healthy squad to choose from that season and Reus was one of the bunch. He may not have stood out as much as Miki but he too under performed quite a bit.

15. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #390 Scheherazade, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Did Sarri have a youth or amateur career? Villas Boas is proof that you do not even need to have played football at youth level at all but you need connections to get into the industry and work your way up. Or else any one with a copy of Football Manager can claim to have coaching skills and we can nominate a forumer to coach Dortmund instead of Bosz. Bosz may not last much longer but the possibility of getting another club's manager is low unless Nice sacks their manager. Huddersfield will not let us have their manager, it would be suicide for them. Might have to check who our reserve coach is.

16. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I want this squad back:

[​IMG]

Liquid1010 repped this.
  17. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Five of that team are still there. Problem is three of them now suck, one is improving again but being played out of position and the other one is always injured.

I actually think of the current team, Sokratis, Raphael, Weigl, Dahoud and Pulisic are all potentially superior players to those in Klopp's team, and Auba is proven to be well capable of scoring just as many goals as Lewa does. They just need better coaching and better management.

18. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Potentially superior and actually superior are two different things. But I get your point; this team is not well managed.

19. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I do think Götze and Reus will come around and rekindle their onpitch magic. Weigl and Mo are a potential upgrade over Bender and Gundogan. And apart from Gurreiro over Schmelzer which is an obvious upgrade, the rest are all debatable or clear downgrades.

20. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would like nothing more than watching Reus and Gotze tear teams apart again, however I see this team being at the precipice of potentially losing Reus. He has one major contract left, and I estimate the chances of him staying at less than 50% unless we address our manager and squad. He wants to win now, and he has every reason to expect to.

This means a new RB, a new CB, and likely a new manager.

eaglespark repped this.
  21. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Coming to think of this all over again, losing Hummels was a massive screw up. Nobody personified a true Borusse in the squad like he did. He's a world class defender. We replaced Miki quite adeptly and with Götze returning to form it'll be noticed even less. If Mo can be developed, then Gundogan wil be forgotten. But I don't see a Hummels replacement in the horizon unless we can get him back.

22. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Which are debatable?

Pulisic has potential to be world class and Sokratis on form is just as good as Subotic was imo.

23. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    Has anyone been following the career of Marvin Duksch ? He has really been killing it in the Bundesliga 2. I wonder why dortmund let him go to be honest. I think he is someone who had a lot of potential and is now beginning to realise it.

It would be nice if Dortmund went back in for him instead of sepnding a huge amount of $money on some other striker. I think Auba should be sold at the end of this season. His heart just doesn't seem into it anymore.

24. kbvb

kbvb Member

May 15, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Agreed except Mo and Gundogan comparison. Gundogan is far superior than Mo in every sense.
    Bender was a defensive midfielder and a ball winner, Weigl sucks defensively, but makes up for it through his ball retention ability and build up play.
    I am not too optimistic about Reus as he hardly plays 30% of the games. Would love to see Gotze-Reus magic back, but it will be too late by then (maybe win us Europa?).
    Anybody remembers the managers we were linked with before we got Bosz?

25. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Reus will go and to a top club. He will show for a couple of years how great he is, when he is not carrying a team. It's sad to say.
    Sokratis is no way near being as good as Subotic was. It's easy to remember what Subotic is, rather than what he was.

Raphael is already better than Schmelzer.

Weigl is different, but around the same level as Bender, though Weigl has more
    potential.

Gundogan was already then, better than Dahoud probably has the potential to ever be, let alone what Dahoud is now.

Pulisic should develop and become better than Kuba, but I don't see him becoming a better player than Reus.

Auba right now was better than Lewandowski.

The difference is that the team then had genuine world class players in several positions: Hummels, Piszczek, Gundogan, Reus and Lewandowski. Now the team just has Reus, who is always injured and Auba.

I never cared about losing Miki, Kagawa or even Sahin on footballing terms, I did for sentimental reasons. However, the big blows were Gotze, Dembele, Hummels and Lewandowski, though Lewandowski was excellently replaced.

I always defended Hummels and said he was truly world class, people are now realising what we had.

The same will be true if Auba goes. Strikers that score 40+ goals even in a 34 game Bundesliga season go these days for 70million+.