2017-18 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Patrick167, May 23, 2017.

1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    the answer is simple...because you can only look at so many players. they can't invite 30 different guys every camp and then all of a sudden first qualifier pick 23 and call it a day.

trapp isn't really being given a chance he is a seat filler, that is the problem with camp cupcake. you have to understand not everyone in the camp right now is a legit possibility.

I mean jordan morris is talking about a being a leader..he needs to become a contributor first.

llegett...maybe he was good enough before coming back to mls and playing so well. however, there wasn't a spot to push someone out to give a random player like him at that point a shot.

playing well for a fringe player isn't an arbitrary rule, that would be saying the player has to be over 6 feet tall.

arriola
    adams
    roldan

have earned their chance beyond camp cupcake. what you don't seem to understand this current camp isn't a serious thing its a joke. the friendly in a week is a joke.

I am just not sure you understand how much time is limited when it comes to putting the national team together.

you can't take 5 chances on ur roster of guys that may be disasters. its also not the best 11 players there will be a system there are a ton of factors and you don't seem to understand any of that.

2. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    • warned for persistent infringement
    I encourage all of you trump wynalda guys to hit ignore facts are the enemy. I am not insulting you just pointing out facts don't take it so serious its just a game.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me about it. These days, nearly every US thread can be summed up by one of 2 different titles:

Europe vs MLS .... version 'x'
    or
    But he is not as good as Pulisic ... version 'y'

We just can't come and get actual information on players without it devolving into one of those topics.

That being said, I am totally flummoxed by who will be the breakout this year. Hell, it seems to me that Jonathan Amon has as good a shot as any, and I have to admit that I have very little basis to believe that other than a few highlights and reports. There really are a plethora of decent choices.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We have quite a number of good options. If it weren't for the endless bitching that has taken over every thread, we could focus on it.

This is not a thread to bitch about the state of the USMNT or MLS. There are plenty of other threads to do that in. Its a thread in which we're trying to identify youngsters about to break thru into USMNT consideration.

In MLS, it sure seems like Reggie Cannon has been handed the reigns at right back with FC Dallas. That's sorta my early pick for MLS breakthru. Right back isn't the deepest position in MLS (see the fact that Cannon's predecessor Hernan Grana was an all-star last season)...........................

The player with the highest ceiling in MLS might be Carleton. Tata Martino indicated yesterday that he thinks Andrew should see playing time with both the first team and ATL2. For a 17/18 year old, that's fine.

TCS35 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously some good news if it comes to pass. The guy needs to get minutes. Now.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm not sure the author of that particular article knows a thing. He said that EPB "might" go to Belgium for the rest of the season, and there's a "possibility" that he could head to Holland next year.

So..........................they really don't know.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think the Europe vs. MLS stuff will repeatedly come up on this thread because the context for a player's performance is important to evaluating that player as the best Breakout. If you rate MLS as the 20th best league in the world, then performance there doesn't mean as much as performing in the 10th best league. But of course, some here would put MLS 4th or 8th or 12th.

Probably would be simpler if people just acknowledged where they think a league is when they reference it with a player. If someone says, MLS is on par with the Portugese League, then you can understand where they are coming from. Arguing over the person's rating of leagues is not productive really.

To me, the only league that matters for the USMNT is the UEFA Champions League. If you ranked national teams by how many UCL players they have you would basically have them ranked by how good they are.

So while, "Europe" is a descriptor. There are what, 1000s of clubs in Europe? There are only 20 that really are consistently in the UCL and 10-20 more inconsistently in it. When a player breaks out at one of those clubs that is always going to win this thread, again, for me. BTW, I put Benfica in the first group with Dortmund, et. al. I think Schalke at the moment is in the second group.

In 2014 we had 3 players at one of those 40 clubs. Two more had just recently played for some. On the field against T&T we had 1, and he was 18.

DHC1 repped this.
  9. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Do we just want to give this to Weston McKennie and start the next thread and keep in on a calendar year? With half our prospect in MLS and half in Europe, the seasons don't line up (yet); and it would be simpler to go from Camp Cupcake to Camp Cupcake.

We are mostly talking about players like Adams, Parks, Glad who will be really making an impact later this year.

Winners:
    2016 Christian Pulisic
    2017 Weston McKennie

10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm cool with that. And I see you already started a new thread, so more power to you, my man.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I doubt that anyone think MLS is a top 10 league even the die-heads who feel the moral obligation to defends MLS from the angry Europhile hordes.

12. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    so did you watch last night? still think that adams is a like for like switch? he isn't a 10 he isn't creative enough. he may be a very good 6 someday but he isn't a 10 he just doesn't have that skill set.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said he was a like for like switch. Nothing remotely close to that actually.

14. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    please read ur quote again....

"As for Adams vs Kljestan, in NYRB's biggest game of the season, the 2nd leg vs TFC he lined up at the #10 while Kljestan was pushed to RM. That suggests they do see him as potential #10 going forward and Kljestan his direct competition."

thats an exact quote of what you said...

he lined up at the 10...sk was pushed to rm...suggest they do see him as a 10...and KLJESTAN HIS DIRECT COMPETITION.....that means like for like. By like for like I mean switching two people similar skill set...similar position..I mean its ok to be wrong sometimes.

15. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    This one seems like it might come good sooner than I imagined.

16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Lots of talk about bringing in another Left Back, but nothing has happened so far. I believe the EPL window shuts on 8/9. It could be their strategy to simply go with Robinson backing up Baines until the Winter window. But English clubs usually procrastinate, so it would not surprise me if they sign someone like Plattenberg on 8/8.

Knowing Baines will get hurt at some point, it will then be interesting to see if they loan out Robinson or keep him with the reserves as insurance. I don't think it would be in his interest to play U23 all year; and they must know that.

17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it would be in their interest either. I suspect he will be their back up and rotated with Baines during the year. If they do buy then they'll likely have a loan option set up pending that transfer.

Patrick167 repped this.
  18. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carleton is starting for Atlanta. REPEAT Carleton is in the starting 11 right now on Univision for Atlanta........

DHC1, Eleven Bravo, TxEx and 1 other person repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Two Americans played in the Bayern versus PSG friendly today. Tim Weah was expected. He started a scored a pretty nice goal! Coming off the bench was Chris Richards, who is with Bayern on their pre-season tour of the US!

1020691769636376576 is not a valid tweet id

20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    How'd he do?

21. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh...He stood out for being slow and weak.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Most people thought he did well. He contributed to both goals, including the second which he provided. In the Atlanta United fan website player ratings system, he got the fourth highest average rating in the team. It also wasn’t his best performance, but for an average performance, it was very credible.

Carleton isn’t fast and he’s somewhat undersized. That should be expected. It’s like that every game he plays.

23. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Don't know where to put this so it goes here....
    http://www.espn.com/soccer/hertha-b...acted-well-to-being-called-too-american-coach

"In March, Petry blasted the United States youth international -- son of former Germany captain and U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann -- for being "too American" and lacking work ethic."

I thought it was interesting that being "too American" would include work ethic. I always thought that was considered to be one of the strengths of the American player. the traditional weaknesses obviously being skill etc.

24. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being American is an insult in most of Europe, especially these days.

25. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a whole thread about it.

Pretty sure it's just motivating a single player, not really a commentary on Americans or American soccer players in general.

Mahtzo1 repped this.