2017-18 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Patrick167, May 23, 2017.

1. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    ???? Dude, I'm really trying not to be a d!ck, but is that seriously what you thought I said? It seems you just pick out random phrases and jump on them to start a pissing match.

Although I admit there is a lot of rambling. I'm guilty of that a lot. Let me know what your native language is and I'll make a special translation just for you.

2. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    well you must've said something right? still makes no sense. my translation is that you have no clue what ur talking about.

native language is english are you admitting that you have an issue with people who speak other languages? perhaps different races too?

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ease up please. Thanks in advance.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The truth is that its difficult to compare young/youngish MLS getting playing time to young/youngish Euro/Mexico players that are in reserves or just breaking thru. A discussion of Adams/Parks is a challenging one. [Typically these boards tend to overappreciate a youngster abroad that they rarely get to see. They assume he's better than the youngster in MLS that they see ever week. When you watch a youngster/young player like Adams play every week you can see his flaws.]

Its up to the USMNT/USYNT coaching staffs to call them all up, evaluate them side-by-side, and make a good evaluation of which skill set matches what they're trying to do with the program.

Mahtzo1 and bsky22 repped this.
  5. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I agree wholeheartedly with 98+% of your post, and it was so well written that I wasn't going to respond but I thought I would take the time to comment on a couple of things and expand my thoughts slightly.

Agree....for the most part. I do believe, however, that anyone giving credit to Shalke for McKennie at this point is underestimating MLS' credit by implication. As you said, he walked in as the captain, got injured and hardly played before making his debut at the end of the season shortly after recovering. Then at the beginning of the new season, he was immediately integrated into the team. By the end of this season I would say that Shalke can start to share credit with MLS....

Spot on.right now we have USL but it kind of fits in the category of "much better than nothing". Part of the problem I think is player pool depth which is developing rapidly by geologic time standards and part of the problem is MLS' utilization (or lack) of USL. In my mind, the ideal situation for the top young Americans (without a passport) would be to start in MLS and work their way up by first playing in the associated USL team and then getting minutes as a 17/18 year old. As they progress to the level where moving to a higher level could benefit, ideally they would move on...by 20 or so for the top prospects. (some of the very top prospects would get significant minutes in MLS at an earlier age (17/18) and be ready to move on to Europe at 18/19. Of course this path seems to be a faraway dream at this point and in the meantime, it is probably a wise decision for at least the very top prospects to skip MLS entirely and go to Europe as 18 yr olds like McKennie and Sargent. I'm only referring to players without passports, players with passports could go earlier of course.

I can see Zlatan saying that about Messi....
    On Donovan's mental toughness, I suspect you are right. That seems to be the consensus of many Americans also. I wonder what would've happened if Bayer Leverkusen had put his mother on the payroll and brought her over to Germany with Landon? Leaving his mother at 16 and going to a completely new country, culture, language etc. had to have been tough. There weren't even any other American players over there as there are now and communication was more difficult than it is now with skype and the internet. Would it have been different? perhaps not but I suspect that many people, European and American that look down on his "toughness" don't really think it through completely.A German fighting his way to B1, in his home country, with all the support that goes with it, has it tough enough. A foreigner has it that much more difficult and it was even more difficult 20 years ago than it is now.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    What other American would have broken into the Bournemouth midfield? That’s the point. Just like Lletget didn’t become a quality period once he was in MLS, he always had the talent and got an opportunity to show it. Not inviting Hyndman to camps only creates an incentive to not try to play in better leagues. I’m not sold on Acosta, Lletget and even Hyndman, but still think he is more talented and more up-side. Our players are in a large range quality of leagues. The MLS may be better than the SPL, but it becomes pretty who is better than a player who plays a key role in the SPL or a role player in MLS. The easiest way to deal with it is to call them all in and play them side by side.

7. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Inviting kids who don't play probably incentivizes them to stay put.

8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I see very little risk of that. I don’t see kid be invited into a camp and not playing causing him to materially change his career plans. If EH had gotten to play last spring it might have helped his game enough to have gotten more mins at Bournemouth or not getting games would have likel have led to fewer mins with the USMNT.

I know some have already decided, but I don’t think we will know whether EHs career choices have been good or bad for a few years.

9. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal

FWIW I read that section to a bit differently. I took it as a rhetorical question that implied the quality of the players Pulisic beat out was greater than Adams and then he went on to say that IF Keaton wins a spot he will have done the same.

10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #735 jond, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Um, I read his post and his point was pretty clear.

Adams might have rose thru NYRB's ranks and the YNT ranks, been quality enough that NYRB traded Kljestan to make room for him and now he essentially has his position locked down for the foreseeable future with little inter squad competition.

Pulisic meanwhile has to bust his ass every day in training to maintain his spot. He seems to have locked down his spot but that's because Sancho has heavily impressed and Pulisic beat out a Ukrainian international who was bought for 25M Euro this past summer. Then none other than Marco Reus will throw his hat into the competition in the coming weeks. Every day those four are/will be battling to get a spot in the XI. Marco Reus, a 25M Yarmo, Pulisic and one of the most highly rate 17 yr old wingers on the planet, never mind this chump named Andre Schurrle who BVB also bought for 30M Euro.

And whether he does or doesn't do well BVB will also continue buying more high quality players. At a club and level like BVB or if he moves to Man U or Liverpool, it's heavy competition every single training session to get on the pitch.

Compare that to what Pulisic would face if he moved to NYRB. They don't have a single winger or AM making over 500K. Rumors are they're going to buy Cristian Casseres...who's frickin 40 years old at striker. The competition at BVB is a universe away from NYRB.

Keaton also faces heavy inter squad competition as he also pointed out. McKennie's competition in Schalke's midfield likewise are full internationals.

In MLS this environment doesn't exist due to the salary structure and roster restrictions.

This makes complete sense from where I'm sitting.

USSoccerNova, Patrick167, TxEx and 2 others repped this.
  11. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    interesting but like him you seem to not watch a lot of the sport. Adams for SK is not a like for like switch they don't play the same position or have the same skill set.

so if pulisic did what he did last year...but was with the nyrb you would've been against him being on the usmnt? competition is great but you also have to play so guys need to go to the best situations they can. Watching doesn't make you better you have to play.

if a kid can play he can play, the idea that a kid not playing at a better club makes him better then a kid playing well at a lower level club is a myth. competition is important but you can't confuse the big picture when looking at usmnt prospects.

12. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    he hasn't and that is enough. the idea that you call in kids who can't get in their squad is so dumb I mean there has to be some proof he can contribute with the usmnt to waste a spot on him.

lletget played great when he returned to mls...get that...he played well..call him in. not he didn't play...call him in.

calling in players not playing means you are basically hoping for an amount of luck that he'll play well. hyndman should come back to mls and prove he can play/contribute. europe isn't for everyone and that is ok.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    There was a time to call Hyndman. This is not it.

14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of what you said has anything to do with what I posted, nor what Eighteen Alpha posted either.

15. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    it exactly what you said. you said that a player like adams pushed sk out...they don't play the same position so no he didn't push him out.

saying that pulisic wouldn't have played the same competition so it would've hurt him...is a thought but not the whole story. You have to play so having competition to push you is important but that doesn't mean every player should try to play at manchester city...they need to play where they can get on the pitch.

every player is different there isnt' one path to success but at some point the kid has to play.

you said it make sense from where you are sitting..but now apparently you are going full trump and saying you didn't say it, either way you lack the big picture.

16. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    This used to be such a nice thread.

TarHeels17, onefineesq and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good lord. The point Eighteen Alpha was making is the inter squad competition at clubs like Benfica and BVB are entirely different than NYRB. Seems pretty obvious but I also backed up the point with evidence.

As for Adams vs Kljestan, in NYRB's biggest game of the season, the 2nd leg vs TFC he lined up at the #10 while Kljestan was pushed to RM. That suggests they do see him as potential #10 going forward and Kljestan his direct competition.

BTW, why is this poster always so angry and insulting? Every thread he jumps in it's insults and arguments.

18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bigsoccer’s greatest feature, the ignore button. I think that’s preserved my sanity as there will always be an abundance of trolls.

That guy is just a troll. I’d encourage the use of that “ignore” button.

DHC1 repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They're about to go down to League One, their play has only worsened since descending. Of course they're happy, Emo already looks like their best midfielder just because the ones they have are terrible.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Other than Lynden Gooch you mean............................! :)

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    To be brutally honest, and despite the goal, I just don't see it with Gooch. Championship player at best.

onefineesq and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For you gamblers out there, put a few bucks on Sunderland staying up. Given this guys track record with predictions, it's a safe bet.

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The point is to call in the best players that can help you now or in the future. None of the midfielders in the current camp would break into Bournemouth’s lineup. EH has played in the FA Cup, the Championship, the SPL, and actually for the USMNT. He has looked like a young player that might be able to help the the USMNT now or in the near future.

Lletget is a perfect example of how difficult is to judge our talent pool due the range of the quality clubs our player are in. If you think Lletget is good enough for our national team after excelling in MLS then he was probably good enough a couple of months before he joined our league. Not sure why a coach wouldn’t want to take a look at him up close, instead of just ignoring him. After seeing that a player that wasnt making the field for an EPL side can help our team, I’d think you’d want to expand the player search to consider players like that. It isn’t like there 20 players like this. At a minimum, I’m not sure why you don’t want to keep the top players in our youth program in our program.

I’m not sure Hyndman would require more luck than the many of the MLS players that are getting look right now. We are still giving chances to Wil Trapp (who EH outplayed with u23s while being played out of position out wide). Is Harkes national team quality? Canouse (who I am a fan of) and Lennon have less professional minutes than Hyndman. Just under 900 mins in MLS and approx 900 mins 2nd Bund for Canouse and Lennon has approx 1500 mins in 25 games in MLS. What is dumb is limiting our pool based on arbitrary rules when these are the type of players that we are giving chances.

Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls),
    Paul Arriola (D.C. United),
    Marky Delgado (Toronto FC),
    Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders),
    Marlon Hairston (Colorado Rapids),
    Ian Harkes (D.C. United),
    Kelyn Rowe (New England Revolution),
    Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew),
    Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)
    Russell Canouse (D.C. United),
    Brooks Lennon (Real Salt Lake),

Patrick167 repped this.
  25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I don’t ever see him playing a major role, but could be nice roster filler. Strong physically, decent pace, decent technically and works very hard... sounds like the kind of player a coach would want on his team and an upgrade to Zardes.