2016 wow results/upsets

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by hykos1045, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Regina Phalange

Regina Phalange New Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    So how many times is South Carolina gonna get lucky with the 1-0 win off a pk? 2/3 games so far let's see...

2. ufgator98-1

ufgator98-1 New Member

Nov 4, 2016
    3rd time I can recall this year. They beat Florida in the regular season that way. Didn't see this one to know if it was legit or not, but mccaskill flops like no one else, so who knows. If the refs call it, then it must be real

3. keeperparent

keeperparent New Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It was McCaskill going down fairly easily. Arms tied up a little, but fairly questionable call. BYU was probably the better team, but BYU did have to clear 3 balls off the line in the late first half when their keeper was out of position.

4. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not lucky when its obviously a foul. Same against Florida earlier in the year. South Carolina doesn't miss PKs.

I hope we get lucky and win by PKS 3 more times this year.

5. ufgator98-1

ufgator98-1 New Member

Nov 4, 2016
    Meggie was sec tournament MVP. I've thought she's been the team MVP for a while now. She is highly underrated. Those who watch the gators often, however, realize her value. Jordan is the star, but mdh is the heart and fire of the team. She's a dynamo offensively and defensively

6. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BYU was the best team we played all year. Fast and good with the ball. They came out hard in the first 15 of each half. Carolina weathered the storm and was the stronger team the rest of the halves. SC tripled them up on shots on goal 9 to 3.

7. Regina Phalange

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Agree 100%. MDH does everything for the gators. She faltered a bit yesterday (Wisconsin's 2nd goal came resulted from a giveaway she has midfield) but besides that she's almost always close to perfect.
    However in Savannah's defense, this is her fourth year everyone knows she scores goals like not many can. So she's always being double and triple teamed. I think she's grown a lot in finding a way for the team to win without her scoring the goals. Her assists have increased, and it's allowed for players like Sharp, MDH and others to be open on plays like yesterday's.

8. Regina Phalange

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It was a light "foul" but that's soccer. That Florida PK was ridiculous, I didn't agree with that call at all, was a major flop to me. (trying not to let my gator bias show too much though)
    And I think luck only goes so far. No team will win the tournament by a PK each game.

9. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    McCaskill is a flopper, and I thought the penalty call in the BYU-SC game was extremely weak. The two players were running alongside one another and both fell down--that's not a penalty. And it wasn't a goal-scoring opportunity. SC was gifted that goal; indeed, the penalty shot, at the 20 minute mark, was, I believe, its first of the second half. You don't want to call cheap penalties in close games, and that was a cheap one. Otherwise, it was an entertaining game--BYU is an entertaining team; they are fast and technical, and they were the better team in this game. They had the ball in SC's end a lot, but SC, to their credit, stayed organized and composed. BYU dominated the first half--except for a brief span with SC nearly scored twice on headers off of set plays--and got let down by bad touches on two occasions when that could have had a 1v1 with the keeper. Hatch is a helluva player

10. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A team isn't 21-1-1 unless it's pretty darn good. SC has also beaten 3 top 5 teams this season. It's about time some credit is given.

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Following up, I'd say that the team that wins the game is, by definition, the better team. The game is defined by the rules, not by subjective opinions.

And, if winning the game includes flopping well enough to fool the refs, that's part of it too. That's sad, but in the case of flops the game is defined by the rules as applied by fallible refs. It's also sad that some coaches, because of that, teach their player to go down at the slightest contact in the box. This includes some college coaches.

12. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ummmm. NO

13. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    I have to disagree with you. Yea, of course, the winning team is always the "better" team in a literal sense. They won. But as you well know, soccer is a funny game--and "undeserved wins" are very common in the sport--a term that professional coaches use a lot when assessing games. There are rules about fouls--but the fact is most of the foul calls that officials make are subjective, and that is especially true when it comes to fouls in the box. When two players are running alongside each other on the far side of the box, no goal-scoring opportunity, and fall down together, a foul cannot be called. It was a terrible call that decided the game. If you are going to make a game-deciding penalty call, it had better be not just a foul but an egregious--obvious--foul. Not only was that not an egregious foul, I don't think there was a foul at all. The two players fell down. Play on. It is unfortunate that quite a number of matches get decided like this. Some can credit McCaskill for selling the penalty--that's part of the sport. But I won't be among them. NCAA games should be decided by the players--not by officials making cheap penalty calls.

Norfolk repped this.
  14. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    The winning team is the better team ON THE DAY. It doesn't always mean they have better player, play better soccer, and will have better results over the course of a season. I think everyone understands this. That's why some results are (rightly) classed as upsets.

Namdynamo and BlueCrimson repped this.
  15. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    I wouldn't even say that the winning team is the best team on the day. We have all seen those kind of games.

Namdynamo, sweepsit and BlueCrimson repped this.
  16. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    And one of the big reasons why she is not a Top 30 player in this tournament.
    A lot of her game is fake, and not all that real.

17. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #267 MiLLeNNiuM, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    WVU had this game in the bag and let UCLA back in it late.
    Now we'll have to see who can steal it with a golden goal or PK's.

Snow on the field. Ouch!! Gotta be cold, brrrr!!
    Thank goodness I live in AZ. Gotta turn on the A/C. ;)

18. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #268 European football fan, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Yes it is true. But how about Neymar and Suarez. They do the same thing.
    If you watched the games against Colorado and BYU you could see that she gave away about 80% of the balls. She was completely pathetic. IMO it is the real problem with her not the flopping.

19. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penalties in Morgantown.

20. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    All of this is true. She is still a dangerous player in college, but she would be bottled up in any pro league.

21. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    West Virginia and South Carolina look destined this year.
    That would be a heck of a physical match in the Semifinal, however UNC is no slouch for South Carolina.
    And Duke is no slouch for West Virginia.

At least this side of the bracket has held to form (Duke > Notre Dame, despite being seeded behind them).

23. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm not that sure about USC. How many bogus PKs they can get? In two games, in the second half their two SOG were only the PKs LOL.

24. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    It would have been nice to see UCLA-WVA in decent weather. The snow ruined the game. West Virginia is good, super-athletic, but the Bruins looked like a southern California team trying to cope with 33 degree weather or whatever it was and snow on the ground. Not a representative game. High winds wreaked havoc with the UVA-georgetown game too--the ball was flying around the field.

25. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Ugh...thanks a lot Jessie Fleming for blowin it, and sending my Blue Devils into the friggin snow in Morgantown! :(