2016 wow results/upsets

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by hykos1045, Aug 15, 2016.

1. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

cpthomas repped this.
  2. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    I'm not sure why people have Rutgers so highly ranked in the preseason. They literally lost every meaningful contributor off last season final 4 squad, and none of the incoming freshmen can be guaranteed to fill those holes. I don't see Rutgers even making the tournament this year.

CDNFutbal repped this.
  3. CDNFutbal

CDNFutbal New Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rutgers looses to Syracuse on Sunday 14th - Score 0:3 but could be wrong maybe 1:3; the game score & results are not reported on their website schedule although the games are.

The previous head coach Glen Crooks recruited all 10 seniors who left at the end of last season; all were starters, the group who for the most part put Rutgers into the final 4. This is the first freshman class which can be said to be all Mike O'Neil's and his staff's. With such a starting player void to fill, its hard to understand how the Big10 Coaches would project this team to finish 2nd; maybe on the strength of the Rutgers Coaching staff?

Great coaches run effective practices that build talented players that result in competitive teams!

With that in mind, the non-conference schedule will be very important to this team, the part of the schedule where the team can build upon their coaches practice sessions; last season the team didn't loose a game or allow a goal.

IF the team is expected to finish second, which players do they expect to be the leaders?

4. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    They might not even make the Big Ten tournament.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My simulation has Rutgers finishing #30 in the ARPI, which would put it in the NCAA tournament, but not seeded. I have them finishing at #4 in the conference, but losing in the conference tournament quarters.

But ... they've already underperformed what the simulation shows, as it has them beating Providence and, instead, they tied. And but ... I see Rutgers outshot Providence 24-4 and out corner kicked them 9-0, which suggests that the simulation's win for Rutgers probably was what one should have expected. So, at this point the simulation for Rutgers looks reasonable, but if everything else stays as simulated (highly unlikely) they'll end up poorer than #30 in the ARPI and might become a bubble team.

6. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Yes, I would say being around #30 is correct for them.....the preseason rank was way too high

7. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    BYU drops a 1-0 home loss to Nebraska...that classifies as a wow result. Caught the second half on tv. BYU was unlucky not to equalize. The Nebraska keeper was caught outside of her box on more than one occasion only to be picked up by a trailing defender. That's Futbol

8. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #8 Holmes12, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Pitt, whom I have maligned, not for skill or coaching but from a location recruitability standpoint, quietly defeats Ohio State and ties Michigan (2-2, i.e. not playing for a null draw).

9. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes. And then Pitt not so quietly loses to Duquense. Not sure what your point was.

10. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Two, really. First, you took the bait, googled and proved my point (ultmately, the Burgh is unrecruitable). And by "quietly", nobody posted anything about the showings vs. higher-ranked B10. To Pitt's defense, they must have been flat as a pancake vs town team, it's a scrimmage. I guess my other pt is the B10 is overrated. What's yours?

11. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Pitt win vs OSU was quiet because it was a scrimmage! Pitt is 0-1-1 after the draw at Michigan they lost on their home field to very local and dramatically less funded rivals Duquense. Pitt didn't schedule the return game in 2015 perhaps because Duquense beat them back in 2014 as well!? After Louisville, Pitt's ACC schedule is at BC, at ND, FSU and at UVA. They also get UNC and Duke. Tough road for sure.

12. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #12 Holmes12, Aug 25, 2016
    Don't get me wrong, Pitt has no chance. However, the Michigan thing is surprising, and although a scimmage, if true, 2 zip over OSU was not some two-bit half roster Spring scrimmage. All things considered, since we're Pitt kickers, would you say a 2-2 game at Michigan was a wow result, as per the thread title? I think it is.

Regarding Duquesne, the result is not surprising on closer inspection as they have been signing players earlier than Pitt. Particularly Western Pa clubs (en masse, Pitt doesn't get anybody from Riverhounds, Beadling, etc). For whatever reason. I wonder why... Do you have the funding figures for women's soccer between the two schools? Is Pitt a chronic hot seat preventing the signings that Duquesne bags?

13. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Pitt draw at Michigan is a wow result in my view. But they washed it out by losing at home to Duquense. So what does that tell you (or an opposing coach on their schedule)? They are capable of scoring and getting a result against a good team but are not yet a mature, mentally tough group. Even against UM, after scoring late they allowed the 2nd UM goal with about 1 minute in regulation.
    I don't know if they are really battling over the same kids much in Penn West. I think after PSU takes who they want, Pitt should be a better draw than the Dukes but Pitt thinks they can recruit Nationally to the ACC and the University (as they should) so not sure if they are competing for local kids like Duq is. Duq is likely competing with Robert Morris, and the PSAC D2s in local recruiting much more than Pitt.

14. iloveny

iloveny Member

Oct 5, 2009
    And the "kicker" is that the game winner was scored by, wait for it.............yes people, none other than a former Pitt player that was "given the ax"! Say what!?

15. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #15 Holmes12, Aug 25, 2016
    rub it in...
    http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/w-soccer/duqu-w-soccer-body.html

Pitt was one of the earlier poachers into Canada, aided by geography. Now they've lost that. Rutgers seems to be a hot spot destination for western pa.

Tennessee lost to SE or SW Missouri St...scored in the 76th min of a 1-0 beat down of Liberty.

16. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ohio State game was a pre-season game and is essentially meaningless. The Michigan game means something, as does the Duquesne game.

17. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
  19. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  20. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pitt hasn't established itself as a winning program yet to me. The only reason these are wow results would be conf affiliation. Duquesne is coming off its first A10 championship so regardless of $ spent, not a pushover. As for scrimmage results, I guess I started that by posting the Rutgers vs. Hofstra result, which I did only to bring it to the "right" topic after it was posted in the schedules thread. I agree they don't mean much at all.

21. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My 2016 season simulation said Duquesne would win. It had Pitt winning over CC, but was very close to having the game as a tie. This suggests that what you are seeing is the "real" Pittsburgh.

22. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Duke lost to Arkkansas,,,,,,,USC loses to long Beach...WOW

Kazoo repped this.
  23. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Yea, Arkansas beating Duke is a shocker--the razorbacks were one of the worst teams in the SEC last year. But Fayetteville (like Starkville, Mississippi--Miss. State) is a difficult place to play. It's in the middle of nowhere and feels like it.

24. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arkansas plays a wild ass, kick the ball all over the field style of play. It is frustrating to play against. I am guessing Duke wasn't prepared for that. Good for Arkansas!

25. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I've seen Duke's other two games this year and they can be scary good. They can put together periods of possession play that are sublime... and they have great talent all over the field. (BTW, I am not a Duke fan...)

Bloopers happen all the time in competitive sports (and soccer is especially prone given its low scoring format.) The best teams can have an off night and be susceptible to surprising upsets. Assuming that the competition is somewhat in the same league, any team can have an otherwise unexplainable "off" game and/or "underdog" teams can play an inspired game and it's "upset city".

The test will be to see how Duke bounces back. They should handle Coastal Carolina tomorrow and could really show their mettle next Friday when they play UNC. These two teams have been arch rivals for ever and Duke should be really pumped for that game and could smell blood as UNC is still srtuggling with the aftermath of injury.