2016 Women's College Cup Being Moved

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by GopherBob, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #76 Holmes12, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    The NCAA slime already said it's Kennesaw State if they want it. They don't want three eastern seaboard teams to expense travel to California to meet with the survivor of UCLA/Stanford. The in-place TV thing gets screwed up (time zones) and empty seats will likely be visible. I hope NC holds out, cuz the NCAA will come back to Cary when this blows over, regardless. Just like every other hot issue, like 'domestic abuse' with he NFL. Goodell attends a meeting with abused spouses or two over a couple of days as the Rice video is leaked, all is forgotten. NC is gold to the NCAA and three major P5 conferences.

2. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What a tragic mistake that would be. I really hope that they go out and look at the field. They have already had two football games on that field this year, with two more in October and two more in November. Both sidelines to about 15 yards inward are awful from where the football teams stand during games. Plus the football lines and end zone paint on the field. Can not see that field being the quality that the final four would deserve come December.

3. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Nothing a little overseeding and green paint wont cure..... :)

4. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kennesaw State hosted the D-I final four event in 2011 and GSA hosted a girls youth college showcase event as CASL does for the Cary, NC event. NCAA tickets are part of the college showcase registration fee and each youth team gets 16 tickets per game. Without a doubt it is a huge help with getting people into the stands to watch the games. The semifinals always seem to have more people in attendance and there are less at the final game because many people participating in the youth showcase event are either leaving to return home or the NCAA Championship game is scheduled at the same time as the showcase games.

I have been to the College Station, TX, Kennesaw, GA and Cary, NC Final Four events and have seen the impact it makes having the youth showcase players at the NCAA games. Club teams are already locked into CASL at this point and I will be curious to see the impact it has on attendance.

5. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Good points. Cary was a backup site itself to Orlando (stadio delays) this year, right? Didn't the NCAA ask Cary to step in again just a few months ago? Small favors, huh?

You bring up good points. The NCAA will no doubt sponsor it's own "College Cup Showcase" at whatever locales. Like US Soccer is doing creating it's own league to snag the ECNL profits. Cut out the middle man.

6. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    What in the world are you talking about? Put your keyboard down Holmes, it's dangerous.
    The NCAA is not going to "sponsor it's own College Cup Showcase" to "cut out the middle man". I'm not sure that would even be allowed under NCAA rules.
    The local/nearby clubs are the ones doing showcases and coordinating ticket plans and brand licensing for the NCAA event. These days the big tournament companies can run events almost without much local support. CASL teams are likely locked in to their event but No Tickets coming this year. The nearby USYSA National League event in Wilson isn't moving either.

So, those folks would love it to be at least nearby (as in driveable) so would college coaches planning to be in the region. So, Charlottesville maybe, Kennesaw, GA or Richmond, VA more likely. OR........

Why not do it at BBVA in Houston as the mens event is the following weekend? Elite Tournaments is doing a boys showcase and would jump on a girls showcase event the weekend before immediately. The emails would go out same day it's announced and they would make some kind of deal for CASL registered teams I bet.
    My money is on Houston, Don't see anything scheduled at BBVA stadium in early Dec. The NCAA and TV folks would love to just stay right there for a 2nd weekend.

7. RtD!

RtD! Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    1. staffstaff addresses a concern that I have. My team has already paid its CASL Showcase registration, bought plane tickets, and booked hotel rooms. While it is always good to get quality games, the real point of going is to play in front of the college coaches who are in the area to see the College Cup. If the reason for the college coaches is not there, then the quality of the games do not justify the cost. I would vote for forfeiting our registration fee and saving the travel expenses but our Club Director insists that our club always supports CASL, etc etc and will continue to do so. Oh well, I guess we are stuck.

2. While I do not have time to participate in the political discussion going on here I would like to add this quote:
    Spoken word poets, DarkMatter, have aptly captured the flaw in this logic: “Trans problems are not trans people’s problems at all. They’re straight people’s problems with trans people.”
    orange crusader & wsoc2008: if you have any question about who this is referring to, look in the mirror.

8. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Your concern about this issue is unnecessary. College coaches go where the prospects are, not where the College Cup is. Coaches go to the College Cup because there is a major recruiting event nearby, they don't go to the major recruiting event because the College Cup is there. A significant number of college coaches don't even go to the games preferring to go back to their hotel or a lovely little pub to watch on TV.

The reality is at this late juncture, another showcase that would be organized around wherever the College Cup ends up would be INCREDIBLY difficult to pull off. There are simply too many logistical issues on the ground as well as the fact that club teams have already made other plans for this to make any type of sense.

Eddie K and cpthomas repped this.
  9. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #85 Holmes12, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Oh, gaawd. Here we go, another clever dig. The poor little trans (including biological sires)...they hurt nobody...just wanna adult play in the women's and unspervised children's public bathroom. This doesn't make it the public's "problem"? Ok, let's make the word "concern", instead of "problem"? Softer...more "tolerant"...

Nooo, no tran will ever think of whipping it out in there. Oh nooo. Not even one girl is worth saving from that preventable life-altering trauma so guys can play pretend.

"Straights"...hehe...like Jenner?

Regarding the future and costly NCAA run "College Cup Showcase", the NCAA started their own this year for men in Houston. So the women will follow next year or year after. Orlando will be the semi-home of the College Cup, sort of like Indianapolis for basketball. This was the plan all olong, despite bathrrom bill.

10. orange crusader

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Everything I posted was FACTUAL, and I posted it in response to obviously FALSE statements from others. Evidently, the TRUTH doesn't matter to you.

11. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I completely agree with this post but if Houston is chosen, I would be surprised if Elite Tournaments did not just extend their showcase plans to include girls teams the weekend before. Most of the arrangements have been made, fields, hotels, workers, etc. Even the website/admin/marketing is done. They'll just add/change the dates and go after girls teams. This is their business and they have no loyalty to CASL and so are perfectly positioned to do it. Even if they just get 40-50 teams, I bet they'll do it. The NCAA may even expect them to do it to help with attendance. The question is, will any teams drop CASL to do it, wherever it is? There are always teams/clubs that would love to stiff these traditional events and do different things. We'll see.

ps Holmes12 just keeps revealing what a dark soul sounds like on a soccer forum. Sad really.

12. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    If I remember correctly, the college cup geographically corresponded to the ODP Boca Interregional in 2014. It was temporally just prior. While there are always quite a few college coaches observing that event, that year there were an unusual number amassed. My kids have played in pretty much all big events from national league, USYSA finals to ECNL showcases, and ECNL finals. I have never seen the concentration of coaches present as were present that year at the interregional. Of course there were fewer synchronous games going on which naturally condensed the attending coaches onto 1 or 2 fields, but my point is that in 2014 there were many more there watching than in other years. That tells me that coaches do indeed come into town to see the college cup, and if a recruiting event corresponds, all the more better, they will also attend that. Otherwise there would have been consistent numbers over the years at the ODP interregional -College cup nearby or not. My guess from this observation is that any club that sponsors a "national" level event geographically and temporally approximating the college cup in the future will be successful.

13. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I am wrong, but there seemed to be lots of empty seats at FAU Final Four games. They didn't have a large showcase going on at that event. The ODP event didn't have as many players playing in the ID weekend as a college showcase. As I said before, there also seem to be many more people in the seats at the semi-final games, although the tickets have already been paid for.

The showcase events have about five hundred teams or so playing and each team gets 16 tickets for two games built in to the cost of the showcase fee. Most teams have 18 players on their team. So you are looking at about 7500 girls showcase players attending the women's final four at CASL/Cary. Many parents of the showcase players attend the college games too. My guess is that adds about another 1000 or so tickets. Then add a couple hundred college coaches to the mix that are there for recruiting at the Showcase. WakeMed Park only holds about 10,000 people. So much of the seats are taken up by the Showcase going on.

From attending past Final Four events at Cary, Atlanta and Texas Station, those stadiums would have been empty without the showcase events.

I don't see teams pulling out of playing at CASL Showcase this year and I also think the college coaches will be at the CASL Showcase too.

My point is that it stinks for the women playing in the finals not to have a nice crowd at the game. But it is what it is this year. I do think it is possible for a showcase to work in the Southwest or Texas.

The NCAA men's final four has been poorly run for years and most of the time don't have any real youth event going on during their final four event. In recnt years the MLS stadiums looked pretty empty.

14. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Actually the NCAA does NOT run that showcase. They simply sold the naming rights to a local club. The NCAA is not in the business of running youth tournaments; finding ways to cash in on amateur athletes, well that's something else altogether and they're quite good at that.

15. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Note, I said MAJOR showcase. Yes, the NSCAA's (not NCAA) Elite Tournament in Houston could throw something together, but it it won't really be elite, major or convince a significant number of college coaches to attend that event to skip CASL. You'll still find over 500 college coaches from all levels driving all over Raleigh all weekend then heading to the local watering holes to catch Friday's semi-finals on the telly.

16. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    You forget that CASL was held the weekend before Thanksgiving that year, not the first weekend in December in conjunction for the College Cup. The majority of college coaches simply don't have the budget to be heading to the College Cup just to go to the College Cup. Recruiting opportunities drive the attendance at College Cup. Yes, there can be a symbiotic relationship, but the primary force driving attendance is a major recruiting event.

17. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    A pedophile is far more likely to gain access to children as a soccer coach than randomly picking off children in a public restroom when their parents are nearby.

Maybe we should ban soccer?

Soccerhunter and cpthomas repped this.
  18. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Religion too...at least Catholicism:)

Signed,
    A lapsed Catholic

RtD!, cpthomas, GopherBob and 1 other person repped this.
  19. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I completely agree that the showcase fills the stands. and therefore there will probably be a lesser audience this year. Also last year with Duke in the final about half the stands were filled with college kids. That college kid presence possibly won't be repeated this year. I do remember that CASL was before the BOCA event, which in turn, was before the college cup temporally speaking. I remember this because I had a kid playing in the CASL national league flight who had to fly from NC to FL to play in the interregional. USYSA at its best there. I still believe that some coaches came to see the college cup and secondarily came to the interregional because I have not seen the 2014 level of coaches before or subsequently to that year's event. But it probably isn't a huge number you are right in the ODP event runs only one or two fields synchronously so an incremental increase in number will appear very significant from the sidelines.

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Depends where they move it. The first cc at a fixed venue was a sellout, people paid full price, and no showcases.

In fact, the final was over full and an issue with the Fire Marshall.

21. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pretty simple, there will be more college coaches at CASL/N'tl League event than the final four. Do not panic.

22. wsoc2008

wsoc2008 Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Seriously? You use a George Soros funded Media Matters funded poster to make your point? Wow!

23. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Please make it Charlottesville. Lovely city. Nice stadium. We totally enjoyed seeing UNC there in their early season invitational in 2013. I guess it is not typically in the home stadium of a team that could be playing, though TAMU had a decent chance to make it when it was played there in 2009. Ironically, even as I live 25 miles from Cary, and aside from the HB2 stuff, I like when it is outside of NC because it makes for a nice family vacation with the kids

24. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    No, I use factual statements made by civil rights and law enforcement professionals in the States that have enacted laws with the protections that HB2 denies to their transgender citizens. There is no evidence of an increased threat of sexual assaults due to the passage of gender non-discrimination laws.
    Do you have ANY FACTS from authoritative sources that contradict the statements made in that graphic by those professionals in those States? They all must be bleeding heart liberals from the lame-stream media?? Isn't that your go-to position when confronted with actual facts?
    You can continue to live in the Fox/Hannity/Breitbart version of the world, afraid of anyone and anything that's different than you. I prefer the real world, facts, and an open mind and open heart. I was raised to believe that is the American Way. Not paranoia and bigotry.
    Have a nice day....