2016 Women's College Cup Being Moved

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by GopherBob, Sep 12, 2016.

1. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
  2. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I agree. Does the NCAA come up with back up sites in these kinds of situations, or has it yet to be figured out?

3. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
  4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I can think of a pretty good venue that would be available...

Seats over 21k, and they could probably fill it.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question: The decision takes the 1st and 2nd rounds of the NCAA men's basketball tournament away from their scheduled North Carolina site. Why would early rounds of other events be allowed in North Carolina?

I suppose there's a possible distinction that early rounds of other events don't have pre-scheduled sites, but is that really a legitimate distinction? Using the NCAA's rationale, suppose UConn ends up scheduled to play a game in North Carolina. Under their state's law, according to the NCAA, the team might not be allowed to play the game under Connecticut law. I'm confident this is something the NCAA has thought about. I wonder if they are planning on altering their site assignment system or if there's more to come regarding rounds earlier than the College Cup.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

As part of their rationale the NCAA announcement states:

If true, don't these laws violate the constitution's privileges and immunities clause?
    In 1823 , Corfield v Coryell established right to travel as a constitutional right. The NCAA pays for the travel.
    I suspect the states just won't fund the travel.

And the NCAA has spent almost 60 years establishing that Student Athletes aren't employees. They even coined the term for that purpose.

As to what distinction is valid between fixed and non- fixed sites, it follows what they did in the past. the NCAA prohibited fixed venues in states that allowed lotteries based on college sports, and for years Oregon hosted no basketball rounds until they changed the lottery (curiously, Las Vegas was OK).

But in sports that had no fixed venues, tournament play in the sport was ok.

7. wsoc2008

wsoc2008 Member

Aug 27, 2008
  8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Lol

If sneaker sales were the issue, wouldn't they be pandering to these guys?

[​IMG]

9. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    If that is not a joke, and that is really your opinion, the fact that you are not coming to Cary is my Silver Lining in an otherwise dismal situation!

As a resident of Cary, NC I am furious about this outcome, but not because of the NCAA decision-- our community has worked passionately to develop an economic base for college/professional soccer. We have earned the right to be a destination for folks who care deeply about the sport. The problem is not with the NCAA, but rather with a State legislature that is rushing headlong into the past (and worse).

I am personally shattered by this outcome. I cannot imagine the effect on scheduling for the associated CASL showcase; whether it will now (or should) take place, whether it can be rescheduled at a different location out of state, and the impacts on players and teams; I am agonized by what I know will be the economic damage to our local businesses that have focused on these events--

All I can say is BRING IT! Keep hurting NC until it HURTS!! At some point the economic damage to our State will become so severe that we will turn the pendulum back-- a decade ago we were the leaders for progressive economic and social leadership in the South, and we can (and should) be again. We cannot progress by becoming the poster child for the 19th century.

It hurts to be here during this period of economic and political realignment, but if folks keep the pressure up, we shall have a better State for it! So thank you (ish).

So sorry for all those who have had travel plans and expectations shattered! If I could say one word: Vote!

uncchamps2012 repped this.
  10. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    I'm very sympathetic to the great fans at North Carolina that have to deal with these issues. The state as a whole shouldn't be tarred with what is going on at the state legislature. I really feel sorry that an issue like that can hijack all the good work that has been done for the college scene in general. North Carolina is a destination center and this will cost North Carolina millions and all the small businesses that rely on it. Really disappointing that it has had to come to this.

hykos1045 repped this.
  11. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #11 Holmes12, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    The NCAA damages thousanfds and thousands of innocents cuz a miniscle few trsngenders want to use the same stall but in the other bathroom. This isn't PC driven again? This has been politicized by the opportunist LBGTs and, more dangerous and threatening than that, their masters, the destroyers of US/Euro Christianity. Ironically, this is an issue blacks, whites are actually united on ("against") and the legislature simply reflects the people (as designed). So, basically, he NCAA is demanding men be granted entry into the womens bathrooms. Let's ask the womens soccer players, er, pawns, anonymously, their feelings on the issue.

12. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Well, I could see how this could turn into a real mud-wrestling contest-- so lets not go there! I think you have some peculiar opinions.

In point of fact, the "NC bathroom bill" has almost nothing to do with bathrooms, and little to do with gender, "trans" or any other kind. It has a great deal to do with civil rights; worker protections; municipal autonomy and self-determination at a local level. We did not lose the NCAA over "stall access"-- we lost it over a violation of fundamental rights in a NC legislative climate that has also embraced voter disenfranchizement, and burdensome restrictions on health care access. NC is a mess, and the State is increasingly polarized. It is my hope that the majority of the NC legislature are out of step with a majority of the State's residents who long for growth, tolerance, and good soccer! We will see this Fall. In the meantime "innocents" will suffer from sanctions. This is true around the world, as the people of North Korea suffer for a nuclear test they were in no way responsible for-- that's just how political pressure works...

But we soccer fans in Cary and the many young players who booked tickets to come play in Raleigh are not suffering because of a few bathroom zelots-- we are paying the price for tolerating a political climate which is fundamentally at odds with all that is best about American values. I'm sorry for it, but there it is... My two cents...

hykos1045 and soccersubjectively repped this.
  13. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    UNC4EVER - I have renewed respect for you and your take on this. If I were from NC, I'd hope to write what you just did in your posts.
    For Holmes12, get out and read a book or something instead of letting FoxNews brainwash you. Maybe read the actual HB2 law or even the Court ruling calling the NC law unconstitutional:
    http://www.ncmd.uscourts.gov/sites/ncmd/files/opinions/16cv236moo.pdf
    Even Trump has said he would let Caitlyn Jenner use the ladies room. And how do you explain Caitlyn Jenner being forced to use the men's room at an NCAA event to your kids?? Seriously, give me a few sentences to tell an 8 year old boy as Caitlyn Jenner is forced by NC "officials" to use the men's room in Cary?
    "Destroyers of Christianity?" Really Holmes?? How do you think Jesus would treat Caitlyn Jenner? Look under her skirt first? Most transgender people simply want what any American wants and deserves according to our Constitution, freedom and privacy. How NC citizens justify allowing public officials (the big bad guvment) to check every birth certificate or in everyone's pants before someone can use a bathroom is crazy. And certainly not a "conservative" position.

So much for mixing soccer and politics! I usually tell my players and parents, let's not talk politics at all or bring political preferences, signs, shirts, etc. into our team, because right now, we still like each other!

14. wsoc2008

wsoc2008 Member

Aug 27, 2008
    But, then you go there anyway...

I just want to protect my daughter against some mental case guy who goes into the women's bathroom. Who is looking out for her? NOT the NCAA.

Target chose this route. Seems folks are voting with their dollars. Same will happen to the NCAA.

The political correctness and corruption of the NCAA, IOC and FIFA are being exposed.

15. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Never say never, but this is probably (?) my last post on this topic.

First, I suspect you and I have very different expectations for what constitutes a real down and out mud wrestle, and that is probably not all we might disagree on :rolleyes:.

Second, "bathrooms" is a smoke-screen, as a couple other poster have noted. This bill, and the current political climate in NC, is hurting Real People (including-- but by no means only-- those who are transgender). It is hurting our State's reputation; it is costing jobs; it is life and death for specific small businesses; it is destroying families and crushing hopes for NC citizens who have never given a single thought to bathroom equality. This is and will continue to have a negative impact on everyone in the State-- well beyond the small world of soccer! Transgender individuals are an easy choice as the poster child for intolerance. NC is in this mess, not because we are protecting our little girls from the horror of bathroom molestation (Are You Kidding?!) but rather because we continue to define ourselves as a State where intolerance in many forms is legislatively sanctioned by Raleigh. We are going to pay a price for that in a modern world and unless we change course we have so far seen only the tip of the economic iceberg which will damage this State and the lives of all of us who live here.

PS This ain't mud-wrestling dude, I'm not even started. ;)

16. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #16 Holmes12, Sep 14, 2016
    Trump said it wasn't worth the "punishment" North Carolina (and other sovereign states) are subject to in order to enact such laws and they should leave well enough alone. That was spun into some sort of "ringing endorsement". He didn't publically come down on either side, just said they'll pay the economic price. Perosnally, I think LBGT are born with such inclinations but tough sh!t. They're not women and unless Dundee is administering tests, nothing can keep creeps in drag from peeping at "our little girls". I wish I could play in the NFL or NBA, but I can't cuz I wasn't born with the speed, size, etc. Oh, and by the way, the gay marriage stuff, it's about cap gains and inheritance tax sheltering. As far as Jenner, I feel as with all parents, he paid the price raising kids, he deserves to do anything he wants. Job well done...he was a good parent...but now, stay away from other girls doing their thing. Girls watch Kardashians, they know who he is...our "little girls" would be freaked encountering him in the bathroom. I bet he didn't share the home bathroom at the same time with his daughters. They tried this in the 90s with Ally McBeal (common bathrooms at the law firm) and it fell flat in real society. Most people are nauseated by this idea. Again, a simple and morally logical "bathroom law" is being politicized as "discrimination", and thousands suffer, both as economic victms and pawns.

hykos1045 repped this.
  17. oldmangrumpus

oldmangrumpus Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    North Carolina made a bold statement. Bold statements have consequences that you simply have to expect. Im stunned that the people of NC are surprised by this action. Its going to get worse before it gets better. The new bullying is from the left, in the same way the right bullied people during the early part of the Gulf War (see the Dixie Chicks). It is what it is. Besides, we froze our asses off in Cary. Can we please go south to Florida...like Orlando?

18. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I also really had hoped that it wouldn't come to this. We women's soccer fans should be able to continue the mostly fun discourse about soccer and not have to worry about politics (or religion) which are two , shall we say, "potentially divisive topics."

But the NCAA has raised the issue for us as demonstrated on these pages, so I wish to add a specific perspective.

My view is that trans people have been among us in our society from the beginning. A percentage of humanity has always been so represented among the population. Trans people have been using public bathrooms from the beginning of said bathrooms and there is absolutely no documented or anecdotal history of complaints, charges, lawsuits, arguments, outrage, or concern about this having been the long, long standing practice.

As a North Carolina citizen, I am outraged that for no apparent reason, that my state's legislature called a special one-day session for March 23rd, and passed this (HB2) bill. Time for debate was short that there was no time for the state senate to even properly debate the issue so, not being given the opportunity to properly express their opinions the Democrats left the chamber and the Republicans passed the bill 32-0 and the Governor signed it into law before midnight and everyone went home. This bill not only contained the controversial "bathroom" provision (which has garnered both national and international criticism and ridicule), but gratuitously threw in clauses which nullified local ordinances around the state that would have expanded protections for the LGBT community, and made it illegal for counties or municipalities to enact an minimum wage rate higher than the state, and made it illegal to sue for discrimination under the basis of a protected characteristic. (This last clause has been repealed, although the time allowed has been shortened.)

The blow back started immediately and the States business and citizens are being punished for this rashly enacted punitive bill. Charlotte was the specific target of the bill (and the reason that it had to be enacted and signed so fast) and that city is taking the brunt of the financial backlash. But now as the boycotts increase (now into the multiple hundreds of millions of dollars and accelerating) and large companies are stating that they are no longer considering moving to North Carolina, we see the effect of this bill. And there is more punishment to come (the ACC will probably be next.)

No, wsoc2008, the trans folks did not agitate to cause this bill. It was a completely unforced error. The Republican dominated legislature decided that it was time to join the culture wars over a Charlotte ordinance that would have hurt no one and served to further develop their standing (and the State's standing) in the businesses and entertainment world. The result of this vindictive bill is now being felt. But the bigger issues are around prohibiting a long standing legal right for a county or municipality to do what its citizens want for their own betterment.

Everyone looses by this unforced error.

hykos1045 repped this.
  19. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #19 Holmes12, Sep 14, 2016
    I'd be surprised if the ACC did anything beyond lip service cuz UNC is the ultimate prize coveted by both the SEC and B10 (either of which is a move I'd make in a nanosecond if was UNC). Without them, the ACC unravels. UNC is kid gloves for the ACC.

I believe Maryland was told cryptically that there'd be other ACCs following to the B10. The only ones the B10 would want are the Association of American University schools...UNC, UVa, Pitt and Ga Tech. UVa and Pitt give them nothing over what they already have. They tried to feel Vanderbilt out but there's no way they're leaving SEC. If the B10 could throw Nebraska (lost their AAU membership) out and take Kansas, they'd do it. I wouldn't be surprised if a Nebraska + grease for Kansas "trade" wth the Big 12 occurs. Then you have the SEC loving on UNC. I think the Butch Davis controversy came out of an all out drive to get the football team SEC ready.

In the end, this'll blow over like everything else PC and the extortion will be for nothing other than causing misery. Granted, as an outsider, it seems to me a special session was called due to a public health and safety emergency.

20. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aha ... the truth comes out :D

21. wsoc2008

wsoc2008 Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I'm proud of North Carolina for standing up for what many believe. They are not alone. The following states have either begun legal action to stop the Obama administration from enforcing transgender bathrooms in schools:

Alabama
    Arkansas
    Arizona
    Georgia
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Maine
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    Montana
    Nebraska
    North Dakota
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming

The good people of North Carolina should know that they are not alone

22. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    never say never...

I am probably the most significant contributor to turning this thread into a political discussion. I'm not sure I can say I regret it, but it probably wasn't that helpful, and almost certainly won't change many minds or advance the forum.

I have learned something from a couple posters who have views in stark contrast to my own: I am sorry that you feel you live in a world (and State) where safety is so precarious. That must be very nerve-wracking and anxiety producing. As a father who raised a daughter in NC, I was always concerned for both her safety and her personal dignity. It never occurred to me to worry about her safety in NC's public restrooms-- spaces which are from the perspective of safety rather public, and from the perspective of modesty rather private. For those who genuinely feel this is a safety issue for those of either gender who might be exploited-- I would suggest that is not supported by the facts, but I certainly do sympathize with anyone who feels their safety is so precarious that it is worth this amount of damage to the State to insure against what I believe is a (totally) imagined harm. Takes a lot of different opinions to make up a world.

I can't see that further debate on this will change minds or contribute much, so now I Really Am going to stop. Sorry for my role in stirring a pot that seems likely to create more heat than light.

23. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Here's a sign made by the "Destroyers of Christianity" according to Holmes12. Can't wait till you realize someone you love is transgender. Think you'll be changing your tune. You are free to copy and use these signs...no charge for taking the moral and constitutional high road. If you send me your address, I'll mail you a few "Free to Pee" t-shirts! and a copy of the US Constitution....again, no charge.

upload_2016-9-14_17-9-49.png

24. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #24 Holmes12, Sep 14, 2016
    .Don't flatter yourself UNC4Ever, the NCAA sanctions and this thread are a political issue. And there were no laws enabling the use of female bathrooms by males when you were raising your daughter. So that even one future victim's mental and physical health, and flashers, peepers and worse will be in on this action, which you dismiss in a condascending and trite fashion, is not worth protecting? All so transexuals can impose their sexual fantasies on everybody as reality...and in a space where women and unsupervised minors need to go, no less. Under 18 can't even get into an R movie...PG-13...but their bathrooms are the wild west! Like I said, my fantasy is to play center in the NBA. Make it real, government. At least my fantasy doesn't put the public health at risk.
    By the way, Jenner, with all his protecting young transexual rhetoric, has shown heterosexual tendencies in fathering children so yes, he is a danger, as any male, in a women's rest room.

25. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008