2016 WCC Thread

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by SpeedK1llz, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Port Sider

Port Sider Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Portland 0 - 3 St. Mary's

Third win of the season for St. Mary's; second road victory

2. Port Sider

Port Sider Member

Oct 20, 2015
    LMU 1 - 2 SCU (OT)

Santa Clara keeps their season alive

3. SpeedK1llz

SpeedK1llz Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With the LMU loss, Pepperdine wins the WCC title by winning at least one of their two remaining matches against either LMU or Pacific.

4. jerricah

jerricah New Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Technically they'd split it with BYU if they get another loss (assuming BYU wins out the rest), but they'd win the automatic bid because I think the first tie breaker is head to head results (though BYU and Pepperdine will likely both get bids regardless).

It really all comes down to beating LMU, a team who really needs the win for their tournament resume, to outright win and not split the title for BYU's fifth in a row (one of which was also a three-way split title). Not to be too dismissive, but I don't think Pacific is going to pose any real threat. BYU's will likely win out against its last three opponents which are the weakest of the league (Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Pacific).

Would actually be kind of cool for the conference if LMU's win over Pepperdine makes the difference for its tournament bid and we see BYU, Pepperdine, Santa Clara, and LMU in the tournament.

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Unless they have changed unannounced, here are the tiebreakers for the automatic qualifier spot.

They do NOT determine the conference champ. All teams tied at the top are co-champions.

• Head-to-head results against the other tied team(s).
    • If a tie still exists, compare goal differential in Conference games.
    • If a tie still exists, compare goals scored in Conference games.
    • If a tie still exists, compare goal differential in Conference games in descending order of finish.
    • If a tie still exists, a coin toss may be used to determine the automatic qualifier.

I think the coin flip was used once, and it miraculously turned out to allow the maximum chance for tournament slots.

goaleemama repped this.
  6. SpeedK1llz

SpeedK1llz Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good information Jerricah. I did not know that two teams tied in league would share the title. I agree that LMU will be fighting for their tournament lives in their match against Pepperdine.

As for Santa Clara, I would be shocked if they get an at large bid into the tourney. I know that they have a high RPI but overall, they haven't won many matches against those tough teams and they have tied or lost to some lower ranked teams.

Pepperdine should obviously beat Pacific but as we all know, anything can happen. Wasn't it Pacific that beat San Francisco in the last regular season match last year to cost them the WCC title and allow BYU to walk in the back door?

7. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A win V USC and Draw to Cal qualifies as a quality result

8. Port Sider

Port Sider Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Pepperdine 0 - 1 LMU

LMU: still alive for at-large bid

Santa Clara 1 - 0 Portland

Shots: SCU 13, UP 1

9. jerricah

jerricah New Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Crazy game -- game getting super chippy near the end. LMU did what they needed to and can probably get into the tournament with another win next week. And they probably helped BYU just win its fifth straight title to be shared with Pepperdine this season.

10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My simulation projects BYU (with a #4 seed, but not as conference automatic qualifier), Pepperdine (as conference automatic qualifier), Loyola Marymount, and Santa Clara all in the NCAA Tournament. Of course, this is based on the simulation projecting that they all will win this coming weekend. Of the four teams, I'm guessing that LMU's result this coming weekend is the most doubtful, followed by Santa Clara's. If they lose, they may be "out."

SpeedK1llz repped this.
  11. Port Sider

Port Sider Member

Oct 20, 2015
    San Diego 3 - 2 Portland

Portland: 3-5-1, worst record in program history

12. Merlo Mighty

Merlo Mighty Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Portland in 2016:

• Worst conference record ever
    • Lowest home attendance in 13 years
    • Worst home loss in 23 years

13. jerricah

jerricah New Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Sad to see the decline of such a perennial soccer power. Seems like the WCC teams never peak together, but we could have such a strong conference potentially....BYU, Santa Clara, Portland, Pepperdine all capable of being very good, with strong San Diego and LMU teams a potential too. Seems like San Francisco hit its peak and immediately faded. Haven't ever seen much from Gonzaga or St. Mary's. Not sure what's going on with Pacific.

Though Pacific don't look too bad today. Currently at halftime in a scoreless draw with Pepperdine. They've had some decent possession and earned a few corners but no real dangerous buildup. Waves certainly outplaying and I'd be fairly surprised to not see something go in the back of the net, but stranger things have certainly happened. I can't see them losing, but it'd be pretty disappointing to see the Waves miss out on at least a share of the title/autobid from a draw.

14. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Do you think there will be a coaching change at Portland, like they did with the men?

15. jerricah

jerricah New Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Wow. Watching this BYU/Gonzaga game. BYU just playing stunning soccer. Up 3-0 in 18 minutes.

16. Moist Pits

Moist Pits Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Portland, Ore.
    The Portland decline following the 2005 championship:

2006: eliminated by UCLA in quarterfinal
    2007: eliminated by UCLA in quarterfinal
    2008: eliminated by Stanford in quarterfinal
    2009: eliminated by UCLA in quarterfinal
    2010: eliminated by Washington in second round
    2011: eliminated by Florida St in second round
    2012: eliminated by Michigan in second round
    2013: eliminated by Illinois in second round
    2014: not in playoffs
    2015: not in playoffs
    2016: not in playoffs

There is a pattern. It's an obvious downward spiral death roll for Portland.

How do you reverse it?

The logical solution is to achieve superior recruiting. In 2013, they had the fifth-ranked class. And what happened? They went from reaching the second round to having the worst season in school history.

How do you shed the loser stigma?

The Portland athletics director had an underperforming men's soccer team. He hired the UCLA associate head coach and the team has thrived.

Change is nice.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  17. Sunshiner

Sunshiner New Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Interesting. I didn't realize it was that bad.

I think CPThomas said one of those players wasn't a good fit for the Portland system. And I believe others left too. Still, a dismal result for such a highly ranked recruiting class.

18. Merlo Mighty

Merlo Mighty Member

Jun 30, 2014
    That player was Danica Evans who is now the scoring standout at Colorado, which just finished tied for second in the Pac-12. Maybe the system she left behind at Portland needs to change.

19. jerricah

jerricah New Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Santa Clara and Pepperdine both ending first half up 1-0 againt LBSU and Cal, respectively. If it all holds we'll have thee WCC teams in Round 2.

SCU is going to have be real upset minded to take on Stanford, though they have beaten them recently. Pepperdine is definitely capable of beating Minnesota (or NC State), though odds in Minnesota's favor. Much more confident about BYU getting past Oklahoma (not that Oklahoma is a pushover by any means). Would be cool to have 2 (3!?) WCC teams in the Sweet 16.

20. Port Sider

Port Sider Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Pepperdine 1 - 1 Cal (2OT)

Pepperdine advances on PKs

21. jerricah

jerricah New Member

Oct 18, 2013
    BYU early game looking very impressive against South Carolina. It doesn't look like they're facing a higher ranked team.

22. jerricah

jerricah New Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Shame for that game to be decided on a PK. BYU really did look the better team. Would have been nice to see how far their run could have gone.

23. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Agreed. Once again USC gets lucky and advances. I like the Cougs. They play beautiful soccer and their speed is exciting. Shame they didn't score

24. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Agree Byu is very good. Too bad that game happened now and not later in the trny. However, BYU has been the recipient of many a PK call to advance. In 2012 they won two straight games on very dubious PK calls. Provo is home to some one sided reffing, so I don't feel too bad about today's result.

25. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's just luck that nobody scores against South Carolina?