2016 USOC [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, May 19, 2016.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Draw for the fourth round is taking place currently (when the MLS teams jump in). Revs would play on/around June 15th.

Will post a link to the full draw once they've updated their website.

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Did Southie FC win @ Rochester?

3. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester Rhinos 7-0 Southie FC

4. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for one, welcome our new Railhawk/Independence overlords.

TheLostUniversity and BrianLBI repped this.
  5. rasoccer

rasoccer Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The only Revs game I was able to go to last year was the US Open Cup game. I learned my lesson and will put as much effort into following the Revs in the cup as they put into competing for it.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the one hand, it's a good thing to have MLS clubs play away to teams like Charlotte or the Railhawks. It is good for the game for fans down there to see an MLS team, even if it is once a year, and those teams can use the attendance boost.

On the other hand, our home OC games are fun, and a very different atmosphere than a generic Gillette matchup. I just hope we take it seriously enough to beat that lower-level team so we might actually get to host a later round game.

I've said this before, but the best way to kill the 3-headed dragon of USOC significance, World Cup/Copa America breaks/scheduling congestion is to have at least 2 (one in the east, one in the west) National TV games every Wednesday. Every team plays a few midweek games every year anyway, so no big deal, as long as they don't have to do Sat-Wed-Sat more than once a month. With 2 Wednesday games, by the 5th week, everyone would have played 6 games. This allows for a 4-week break for major tournaments without pushing the full schedule too early or too late in the year. And during that 4 week period, teams can play 2-leg USOC ties, always away to the lower team, starting at the round of 32, and the following 2 weeks the round of 16. From there, there will be 8 teams left and scheduling becomes easier depending on the teams.

This way, every lower team that makes it to the final 15 will get to host an MLS team. MLS teams should probably win, but there should be at least a few upsets, and they get the first leg for the next round too. Good for the lower teams, good for MLS teams (no excuse not to use regulars) and good for the USOC, since it won't be an afterthought like it is now.

a517dogg and BERich repped this.
  7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Random observations from Round 2:

USL continues to dominate. They entered 17 clubs this year, and went 14-3 in Round 2. Five of those wins were 4+ goal shut outs.

The closest game was OKC Energy (USL) vs Mississippi Brilla (PDL), going to 11 rounds of PKs before OKC prevailed 10-9 in the shootout. Both teams scored in 9 straight rounds, before each keeper made a stop in the 10th round.

OKC Energy now faces crosstown rival and NASL expansion team Rayo OKC in round 3.

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you do when you have a home match against an amateur club for your next USOC match?

Fan Appreciation Night!

Rochester Rhinos vs Lansdowne Bhoys FC, June 1st:

[​IMG]

BrianLBI repped this.
  9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Round 3 is tonight.

10. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carolina Railhawks beat Charlotte Independence 5-0 after added extra time. 0-0 after 90. 3-0 after 105. 5-0 finish. Charlotte picked up a straight red in the 29th minute. Hung on as best they could from then on. Flood gates in extra time.

Revs at Railhawks 6/15? My first Revs game since 2012 when we moved down here. The Railhawks are not very dangerous and depending on how the Revs approach this game they should not have any issues. Go Revs!

11. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is too bad that the Revs league schedule kicks back up on 6/18, so soon after this game. Given that they won't have played since 5/28, they might have been tempted to field their best lineup in the Open Cup game (or something close to it) to shake off the rust. But since the schedule is Open Cup on 6/15 and MLS on 6/18, I suspect we'll see a lineup full of reserves.

12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it all depends on how much we are "concentrating on winning MLS Cup." I hope we don't see a bunch of "who's he?" guys out there who are playing their first and last minutes of meaningful competition.

The Open Cup is the best and most likely shot we have at winning a trophy. There are an increasingly lower number of teams who blow it off, but we may get lucky and get paired up in a later round with someone who is a better team, but fighting for something more, and takes us less seriously. You never know...

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes no sense not to play at least some of your starters, mostly because they haven't played in so long. Don't want a fully rusty team playing after so long off.

Of course, the Revs would play in Carolina and then have to head to Vancouver, so the excuses are already built in....

14. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Anybody going to this match on 06/15 in NC? I now live in ATL so I am thinking about going, but I'd have to take 2 days off from work (6 0r 7 hour drive each way) and I don't know how much I want to see the Revs' reserves lose in person.

15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Resting anyone who has played 900 minutes or more this season, here is the Open Cup lineup I came up with:

Bunbury - Davies - Agudelo
    Smith - Herivaux - Neumann
    Tierney - Sambinha - Barnes - Woodberry
    Knighton

16. BrianLBI

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I could leave Femi out of that lineup. Has he played 900 minutes? I would also pair Barnes/Sambinha with a stronger partner.

mrt/MLS repped this.
  17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's probably sacrilegious to some, but I wouldn't mind seeing Kamara get a run out for a bit. I want him to find his scoring touch ... and soon.

mrt/MLS repped this.
  18. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, the Railhawks are on the road at Indianapolis on 6/11 for their last NASL game of the spring season. The fall season starts up again for them on 7/2.

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it was tough leaving Femi out. I figured he'd be first off the bench. Davies hasn't played in the last 5 games, so I figured Heaps would want to get him back into things.

20. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 VTSoccerFan, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    I have been asked about the stadium so I figured I would post my responses here:

I have been to a few Railhawks league games so far this season and I went to the USOC match last night. Wake Med Soccer Park is pretty nice for a small stadium. I do not think that tickets and parking will be a problem. There might be a bigger crowd for the Revs/MLS games but I would say that the stadium was 85% empty last night.

There were no lines for food or beers. Food is anything from chips to hot dogs, fries, BBQ sandwiches, etc. Beer is everything from mass produced US breweries to local craft beers. $5 bud lights last night which are normally $7 to give you a frame of reference. Beers, ice cream, and chips are available behind the 300 sections. Fries, hot dogs, cooked food, and beers are available behind section 104. For regular season games there is even more stuff behind the 200 sections, but since we were late we did not make it over there last night so I am not sure they operate during USOC games.

We arrived at the game last night about 10 minutes into the game (traffic on I-40 southbound) and had no issue walking right up and getting tickets and walking right in. We sat in section 104. Three tickets cost $72. Parking was $7.

Here is what I can tell you about the stadium in general. There is seating on four sides of the field. The side with the 300 sections face the sun. For a 7PM game the sun will be in your eyes for the whole first half. The teams sit on the side with the 100 sections. These sections face away from the sun and I think sections 103-108 have seat backs. All other sections are bench seating. The 400 section is where the Revs will shoot in the second half (based on last night, but it has been different during league games) and is probably the section with the cheapest tickets. The side with the 200 sections is where the Railhawks will shoot in the second half and it is where the Railhawks supporters groups sit.

It appeared last night that the Charlotte Independence supporters sat in sections 101 and/or 102.

For this game I will probably sit in the section 101/102 area and I will probably wear a Revs shirt although my wife and 4 yo will probably wear Railhawks gear.

If ticket sales are anything like last night you could probably risk buying the cheapest ticket available and then sitting in the Revs section.

21. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'd prefer:

Agudelo-Davies-Femi
    Kobayashi-Herivaux-Neumann
    Smith-Sambinha-Barnes-Bunbury
    Knighton

Get Femi a start, get Kobayashi's experience on there next to Herivaux, and let's see how Bunbury does at fullback.

22. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Not really match related but since I've seen it referenced by a few here, Sambinha has decided to cut the 'inha' and go with Samba. Not so little anymore I believe was the Twitter comment by Lemieux. He's 155 lbs according to the roster, so not sure I get it...

23. BrianLBI

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can usually muster up a good reason to visit RTP on business, have to look into this.

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wondered about that... A lot of names with inha/inho, or in Spanish, one of my favorite names was the Bolivian ex-Dallas player, Little Joey Cow, a.k.a. Joselito Vaca.

I guess it could have been like Scottish, where every guy can only have one of three names: Beg Maan, Wee Maan, and for those of us in that middle area, Jemmeh!

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm no expert, but what I've heard is that the suffix can denote "little one" or be a indicator of affection (maybe like we'd call someone "sweetie" or something like that).