2016 USL Attendance thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by 30King, Mar 26, 2016.

1. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2417 in Bethlehem per their Twitter account.

2. davideinstein

davideinstein Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a lot though. In particular when your owners have money.

kenntomasch repped this.
  3. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    14k to 20K its a 6K increase from the first week to the second. I agree with @kenntomasch that it is perhaps too early to make anything of it. Yet, I however think the increase after the first week speaks volumes to both the city/fans and the ownership for wanting more... A significant margin of m0ar!

4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's the only thing!!! ;)

Seruisly though, if people don't buy tickets (and come to games :whistling:), why should anyone pay any attention to anything else that's going on? If people buy season tickets and come to most games, you've got an audience that you can sell & monetize. If they don't, you've nothing except a money pit - aka Edmonton.

5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance isn't everything, but it's certainly something. And in American soccer it's a much higher percentage of a team's revenue than in most top leagues, which makes it more important here than it is elsewhere.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ SLC: ??? (they claimed a sellout, but capacity is unclear) :barefoot:

@ Charlotte: ??? :cautious:
    @ Cincinnati: 20,497 (new D-III regular-season record) :notworthy:
    @ Melbourne: 1,019 :sick:
    @ St. Louis: 5,531 :sneaky:
    @ Irvine: ??? :whistling:
    @ VFC2: N/A :sleep:

@ Wilmington: 3,182 :geek:
    @ Bethlehem: 2,417 :cool:
    @ NYRBII: ??? :rolleyes:
    @ Toronto: 2,000? (they claimed a sellout) :eek:
    @ T2: 1,649 :thumbsdown:
    @ S2: ?? :mad:

7. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, the 20,000+ had a perfect storm situation. I am amazed by the crowds and the enthusiasm in the area. My in laws who know nothing about the sport are aware of the team due to highlights on local news and articles in the local papers.

I would love it if 14,000+ was the norm, but I can see some midweek games being rough.

Keep in mind the goal before the season was 5,000 season tickets and 10,000 average attendance so right now the response has been above the clubs highest expectations.

We've had a great start, but no need to get ahead of ourselves. Just focus on having a great 2016 in USL.

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    I am not "scoffing". I love that my home city is embracing the sport I love in way I've never seen before. I'm just tempering expectations because I think it is unfair to FCC that they should draw 18,000+ each week. There is interest and great diversity in the crowds, I see all sorts of folks and people are gobbling up merchandise like crazy, it's amazing.

Nothing would make me happier than the crowds to continue as I cheer along side others in The Bailey. I just don't want people to panic if we "only" draw 14-16,000 for the Wilmington match in a couple weeks.

10. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    #110 FootySkeptic, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Prosoccercdn repped this.
  11. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cincinnati and Columbus would make a perfect rivalry in MLS. So would Cincinnati and Louisville.

But Cincinnati's numbers, unless they go completely off a cliff, are so good that they could cut in line in front of Miami.

oneeyedfool repped this.
  12. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Over 5,000 season ticket holders mean even on a terrible day they could expect 6-7,000 tickets sold. For the recent match 15,000 were sold before and then 5,000 walked up day of match.

13. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami provides much more value than Cincy even if FCC is doubling their attendance.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for them. Maybe they've cracked the code. It's surely an auspicious start.

My only point was some are putting them in MLS after two weekends. Two weeks and you're an all-time legend and all that.

15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    True.

But when you look at the ownership group (billionaire Lindner family) and the background of the CEO they've hired (ex Sales & Mktg Director for the Bengals, former Cincinnati city councilman) and the professionalism of the effort they're putting in, MLS is the goal and a very realistic one at that. Like the article says, the rich "don’t get [or stay] rich backing longshots."

It'll take a year or two, but if - if - they stabilize attendances at the 14k range and get all the other elements in place (SSS, sponsorships, etc.) Garber and the BoG would be derelict if they didn't put them right beside Sacramento at the head of the 25-28 round of applicants.

16. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    I don't know the exact numbers, but FCC have been very aggressive at landing all sorts of sponsors. I think ownership and management have connections and pull in the local area to land those.

I'd also point to merchandise sales, the club has sold out items and expanded options for clothes and all to buy and the lines at first two matches were massive. I've actually seen a dozen or so people in the area with something FCC related outside of matches or watch parties. The sport has never been embraced like the city as it is right now with this club.

The stadium is the big issue. Nippert is great and had a recent major renovation making it feel new, but it is shared and know outside of Seattle and New York City that sort of situation is frowned upon.

17. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Given numbers I've seen in regards to expansion I don't see it as zero sum. MLS by 2022 could have Miami and Cincinnati as well as Sacramento and San Antonio based on articles I've read.

18. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They wouldn't be derelict if the team along side Sacramento is a more valuable market is available.... Sacramento and Cincy are 27 (S) and 28 (C) in terms of Metro size, and 20 (S) and 34 (C) in TV Markets. There are bigger fish to fry and I don't think the BoG would be overly eager to pick up two small markets at once.

I'm not saying Cincinnati won't happen eventually, but it's a small market- there shouldn't be any urgency to expand there and no reason to skyrocket them to the top of the expansion wish list.

19. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget St. Louis, very viable and expands the league's footprint. As much as I wish Cincinnati well, and I do, unless Miami implodes the battle is down to the 28th spot because I think San Antonio is a strong favorite as well.

20. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Louis for sure - and other Markets I'd imagine MLS would like to get in eventually:

Phoenix
    Detroit
    Tampa
    Carolina

21. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Sorry, I didn't mean only those four cities. I just meant the cap of total sides in MLS seems to allow wiggle room that most of the current crop of clubs courting MLS could possibly get in the 2018-2026 window.

22. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    1200 is the correct number in Toronto for TFC2 :

http://www.yorkregion.com/sports-st...s-for-draw-in-home-opener-against-pittsburgh/

"The beautiful weather helped draw a capacity crowd of 1,200 to the Ontario Soccer Centre and about 100 Red Patch Boys kept up a steady colourful chant in a corner of the stadium throughout the match."

The OSS was initially planned to have a 2K capacity but a smaller set of stands was installed instead bringing capacity to 1200.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  23. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    214 in OC for the Blues vs T2 match on Wednesday.

24. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    1711 in Pittsburgh

25. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA