2016 US Elections and General Politics. Please, keep it civil:)

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by Dave46, Feb 16, 2016.

1. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. Economic outcomes will always be a big part of whether people get along or not, but I think a lot of it comes down to the type of multiculturalism that is pursued and/or realized in a society. I think that (moderate) conservative leaders in Europe (e.g. Merkel) have a point when they lament that ethnic-religious tribes are simply organized in parallel societies rather than coming together in a cohesive whole, but we should also celebrate rather than fear the differences between ourselves. I think in America we still have a shot at pursuing some modern version of the old melting pot analogy.

2. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    racisms where?
    oh my. you remind of sheldon from the big bang theory.

i am not german, not even remotely close to being german, heck, not even european! or else i would have the royalty treatment here in the US and not get kicked out... "Enough is Enough Germany!" now we know you mean business. :rolleyes:

again, lack of understanding of other cultures and not knowing when you are being racist is no surprise. didnt expect anything less to be honest.

yes indeed, shame on you.

charlie15 repped this.
  3. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am amazed at how people blame Islam and Muslims. There's no doubt that Islam is a restrictive and backward religion and not all Muslims practice Islam actively. Not all Muslims want to be seen as Muslims first and then as Americans or Swedish etc.

Christians should recognize that Christianity itself is a backward and restrictive religion. It's been at the forefront of the most devastating religious wars. It's been used to murder millions of natives in India, Australia, Africa etc. Its effect on the native population of North America are felt even to this day. Jesus would flip the fück out if he saw how nuns and fathers were forcefully converting native children, abusing them, raping them and then leaving them with scars for the rest of their lives. Looking at how alt right nazis call leftists names, Jesus would be one hellava snowflake.

Religion is nothing but a cult that's got a bigger following. It's the last thing we need to divide people when we already have other means like skin color, language, heritage, wealth etc. World would be a much better place without religion.

4. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Self-awereness is not his strong suit to say the least.....

5. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There are two fundamental differences between Islam and any other religion (Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity, etc). The first is political oversight, and the second is departure.

In his book History of the Middle East, Bernard Lewis speaks a lot about the fact that Islam, based on its structure, is a religion focused on governance - moreso than any other religion. Right from the core of the Madrasa and the view of Islamic Law driving all aspects of law. The governmental body was/is defined as unclean and subject to the direction of the ulema (religious scholars of Islamic law). This still defines even countries such as Egypt, and Iran - where the government is often subject to direct interference from Islamic clerics.

This would be similar to Anglicans being subject to King Henry - however Islam has never outgrown that structure. That's why minority religions like Zoroastrianism and Yazadi sects, or even minority Muslim worldviews (Suffism for example), have been driven out of the Middle East by hardline Arab interpretations of Islam. I have no issue with modern interpretations of Islam.... my concern lies solely with hardline salafist/sunni worldviews that are not compatable and actively undermine secular democracies.

The second major difference is the ability to leave the religion. Again, the Economist had a great article on this a few months back - focusing on what happens to women who leave Islam in Britain.

6. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you are saying Christianity believes had nothing to do with defunding parenthood? They must have consultant scientists to make that call.

7. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Haha - touche! You're not wrong there. With that said, there is a large gap between defunding planned parenthood and having the entire judiciary branch under the direction of a cleric.

8. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    that was one example of many (and many more to come), but thats ok.. believe what you want to believe ;)

9. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's not me - it's scholars who are saying this as well (again, read my comment).

Are you seriously drawing an equivalence between Islamic majority countries and the US on judicial oversight?

10. Dave46

Dave46 Member+

Nov 30, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    Very funny.

From a letter written in 1905 by Friedrich Trump, Donald Trump’s grandfather, to Luitpold, prince regent of Bavaria. Trump had been ordered to leave Bavaria for failing to complete mandatory military service and to register his initial emigration to the United States twenty years earlier. Prince Luitpold rejected Trump’s request for repatriation; the family later settled in New York. Translated from the German by Austen Hinkley.

Most Serene, Most Powerful Prince Regent! Most Gracious Regent and Lord!

I was born in Kallstadt on March 14, 1869. My parents were honest, plain, pious vineyard workers. They strictly held me to everything good — to diligence and piety, to regular attendance in school and church, to absolute obedience toward the high authority.

After my confirmation, in 1882, I apprenticed to become a barber. I emigrated in 1885, in my sixteenth year. In America I carried on my business with diligence, discretion, and prudence. God’s blessing was with me, and I became rich. I obtained American citizenship in 1892. In 1902 I met my current wife. Sadly, she could not tolerate the climate in New York, and I went with my dear family back to Kallstadt.

The town was glad to have received a capable and productive citizen. My old mother was happy to see her son, her dear daughter-in-law, and her granddaughter around her; she knows now that I will take care of her in her old age.

But we were confronted all at once, as if by a lightning strike from fair skies, with the news that the High Royal State Ministry had decided that we must leave our residence in the Kingdom of Bavaria. We were paralyzed with fright; our happy family life was tarnished. My wife has been overcome by anxiety, and my lovely child has become sick.

Why should we be deported? This is very, very hard for a family. What will our fellow citizens think if honest subjects are faced with such a decree — not to mention the great material losses it would incur. I would like to become a Bavarian citizen again.

In this urgent situation I have no other recourse than to turn to our adored, noble, wise, and just sovereign lord, our exalted ruler His Royal Highness, highest of all, who has already dried so many tears, who has ruled so beneficially and justly and wisely and softly and is warmly and deeply loved, with the most humble request that the highest of all will himself in mercy deign to allow the applicant to stay in the most gracious Kingdom of Bavaria.

Your most humble and obedient,

Friedrich Trump

11. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Forgive my ignorance of German history, but didn't Germany unify in 1870, a year after the grandfather's birth? At this point wouldn't the Kingdom of Bavaria no longer exist by the time of the deportation?

12. Dave46

Dave46 Member+

Nov 30, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    Must have been translated a bit wrong, Bavaria became state after 1871.

13. Dave46

Dave46 Member+

Nov 30, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    actually no, Bavaria was ruled as kingdom even after 1871.

Under Maximilian's descendants, Bavaria became the third most powerful German state, behind only Prussia and Austria. It was also far-and-away the most powerful secondary state. When the German Empire was formed in 1871, Bavaria became the new empire's second most powerful state after Prussia. The Wittelsbachs reigned as kings of Bavaria until 1918. On 12 November 1918 Ludwig III issued the Anif declaration (German: Anifer Erklärung) at Anif Palace, Austria,[1] in which he released his soldiers and officials from their oath of loyalty to him and ended the 738-year rule of the House of Wittelsbach in Bavaria.[2] The republican movement thereupon declared a republic.

14. Dave46

Dave46 Member+

Nov 30, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    On 10 June 1886, Luitpold's nephew King Ludwig II was declared mentally incompetent and Luitpold was named Regent. Luitpold's part is still controversial. Following Ludwig II's mysterious death a few days later, his brother Otto assumed the throne. However, Otto was likewise (or more so) mentally incapable of reigning, and Luitpold continued to serve as regent. Prince Luitpold was even accused by some people of the murder of his nephew, but soon the decent and affable prince became one of Bavaria's most popular rulers. One of his first actions (on 1 August 1886) was to open several of the palaces of Ludwig II to the public.

15. Dave46

Dave46 Member+

Nov 30, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
  16. Dave46

Dave46 Member+

Nov 30, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    If Luitpold allowed Friedrich to stay, Donald would have been a Frankfurt or Stuttgart fan today:)

17. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Or simply too stupid to understand football. Glad he lives in you country than mine.

18. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So the super racist Jeff Sessions is a lying sack of shit. How surprising!!

I wonder what other incredible qualities we don't know about this guy.

19. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's fascinating how these administration appointments are falling apart like dominoes so quickly.

Liquid1010 repped this.
  20. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  21. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3246 naopon, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  22. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  23. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The German Empire was a federation of monarchies. Four of the German states were kingdoms, the others mostly duchies and principalities (four states were republics). People also didn't hold German citizenship directly - each of the states had its own citizensip laws, and to be a citizen of the German Empire you had to have citizenship of one of the 26 states.

Dave46, chewz, nekkibasara and 1 other person repped this.
  24. Bavarian Juggalo

Mar 10, 2017
    Sydney
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any Trumpistas up in this shizzle?

Praise the Lord
    Praise the Commander in Chief

where all the Patriots at?!

25. Bavarian Juggalo