2016 UCLA

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Persin, May 8, 2016.

1. Really?

Really? Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Club:
    Al Nasr Riyadh
    This is why her change of heart is odd. Even with her they are going to get beat down. With UCLA she would have a real chance to win a title. The Bruins will be fine without her. Fleming played better on Wednesday and will be in camp for the scrimmage against Beijing Normal University and ready for the trip to Texas A&M.

The lineup that they are using so far is solid and will be very dangerous with Fleming at the 10. Cerda playing outside back is a nice tweak and she scored 2 goals on dangerous runs from that position in the intersquad scrimmage.

2. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Really? Can you tell us who the Bruins might have in the starting lineup, based off the scrimmages you've watched?

3. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Saturday's 4 PM scrimmage with BYU, the WCC preseason favorite, could serve as a good indication on how decent or indecent the Bruins are. Last year's scrimmage ended 0-0 against Missouri, who also didn't make the tournament.

4. Skokian

Skokian Member

Nov 20, 2008
    After UCLA tied BYU, 2-2, in a scrimmage, it'll be interesting to see how they do in their opener at SDSU Friday.

Last year, the Bruins opened at Long Beach State with 0-1 loss and would go on to finish with a 8-10-1 record, the worst season in the program's history.

5. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
  6. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    "I talked to Lindsey [Horan] a lot about it and I really appreciated her support with it. She really helped me decide," Pugh said. "She went through the same thing and I know she wanted the best for me, not just what everyone else thought."

I wonder what Horan said to convince Pugh.

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably something along the lines of, "Trust yourself. Make your own decision. Do what you think is best for yourself. Don't let others decide for you." A statement like that would work for both Horan's and Pugh's decisions.

Gilmoy repped this.
  8. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    38:06

Darian Jenkins 3, San Diego State 0

9. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    UCLA 5-0 SDSU

The eye-popping improved Jenkins with Julia Hernandez might be the best Bruin forward duo since Lauren Chaney and Sydney Leroux.

Not playing included Gabbi Miranda, Courtney Proctor and Jessie Fleming.

10. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
  11. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    So, which team will the Bruins scrimmage against tonight? Beijing Normal that was on the pitch yesterday at USC or some other team also called Beijing Normal?

12. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    I liked that.

cpthomas, can you please show the season simulation you computed for the Bruins? Thanks.

13. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what the simulation produces for UCLA. For a projected win, it looks like a 1-0 score; for a loss, it looks like 0-1; and for a tie, it looks like 0-0. For the season, the simulation has UCLA ending up 12-4-3. (The simulation takes game location into consideration.) In the ARPI rankings, they end up at #15. In my NCAA bracket formation simulation, they look like a #4 seed with a possibility for a #3.

8/19/2016 UCLA 1 SanDiegoState 0
    8/26/2016 UCLA 0 TexasA&M 1
    8/28/2016 UCLA 0 FloridaU 1
    9/2/2016 UCLA 1 PennState 0
    9/9/2016 UCLA 1 NorthCarolinaU 0
    9/11/2016 UCLA 1 SanDiegoU 0
    9/16/2016 UCLA 0 Pepperdine 0
    9/18/2016 UCLA 1 LongBeachState 0
    9/22/2016 UCLA 1 ArizonaState 0
    9/29/2016 UCLA 1 OregonState 0
    10/2/2016 UCLA 1 OregonU 0
    10/6/2016 UCLA 0 CaliforniaU 0
    10/9/2016 UCLA 0 Stanford 1
    10/13/2016 UCLA 0 ArizonaU 0
    10/20/2016 UCLA 1 WashingtonU 0
    10/23/2016 UCLA 1 WashingtonState 0
    10/27/2016 UCLA 1 ColoradoU 0
    10/30/2016 UCLA 1 UtahU 0
    11/4/2016 UCLA 0 SouthernCalifornia 1

SpeedK1llz repped this.
  14. SpeedK1llz

SpeedK1llz Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I love this $&@#! So, your simulation only predicts the outcome, not the score, right?

15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. It's based on the NCAA's process, which uses the RPI. The RPI doesn't pay attention to score, so the simulation process doesn't either.

SpeedK1llz repped this.
  16. Skokian

Skokian Member

Nov 20, 2008
    UCLA loses to Florida , 4-3, on an own goal in OT and have two blown PKs. Too bad Fleming also can't play on their back line, while doing everything else.

Alvarado also missed a PK Friday. It's surprising Amanda Cromwell, in her infinite wisdom, didn't let her do all three PKs today.

17. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    [/QUOTE]

Wanted to post this here since it basically is a Jessie Fleming highlight video. That very impressive deke she pulled off, her 2 goals are all in this clip.

As to the comment about how poor UCLA played against Florida. I can't blame Teagan Micah for this loss. Most of the goals in this game came from headers. Savannah Jordan had 2 of them. Fleming had another and Annie Alvarado also had a header for a goal. Add in a deflection goal and there really wasn't anything that Micah could do on any of the goals especially on the own goal which ping ponged between 2 defenders going into her own net.

Jessie Fleming... Never seen a player make a debut like Fleming did this game. 2 goals with that crazy deke she did blew me away.

18. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Besides her eye-opening technical skill, Jessie Fleming's work-rate displayed in Rio was impressive. She has astounding endurance and speed.

Her time in running the 1500 as a ninth-grader (4:28.41) would have made her the second-fastest on the UCLA track team last season.

19. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Wow considering she would have become faster now since she was what 15 at the time? Good to have her in Soccer, her technical skill on the ball would of been wasted if she chose running.

20. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    After watching UCLA play so solidly against texas A&M, away, and not give up a goal, I was very surprised they gave
    up 4 goals to florida playing at home.

21. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    A&M is an outstanding team, but lacking any finisher like the Gators.

For UCLA, in what would be an understatement, their back line could sure use Matulich and the perennially injured Miranda.

22. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    I don't want to bash their back line too much, but yes there were some mistakes made there. I'm pretty sure Coach Amanda Cromwell was going to give Jessie Fleming a week off so she could get some practice time with the rest of the team since she just arrived on Friday, but Florida forced her hand. But I guess it turned out ok for her since she played so well.

Things will improve with Fleming in the midfield. Florida took control of the midfield, they suffocated the UCLA midfield and controlled much of the possession in the beginning.

23. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Jessie 1, Penn State 0 (OT)

24. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Well I guess you can call Jessie Fleming "Clutch." Scored the overtime goal with a beautiful header.

25. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    UCLA could of gotten a second goal if that hand ball was called on Fleming's shot that hit a Penn State defender left arm.

I did notice that Fleming was constantly tracking back and offering options for her defenders to pass to her but they would normally try to long ball forward to Darian Jenkins which isn't a bad idea but I would like them to use Fleming more when she is offering another option. Fleming played a box to box role with UCLA, constantly tracking back and supporting the attack when she could.

Penn State looked really good for long stretches of the game. Charlotte Williams played a fantastic game, constantly making runs on the side lines. In fact UCLA didn't get their first shot on goal until Fleming got it in the 81st minute. Shows you how well Penn State was playing.