2016 Spring Schedules

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by hykos1045, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Yes, five "dates of competition" is the rule, with exemptions for alumni game and playing a YNT (among other exemptions). A team can play multiple games on each date, though, which is how some of the schedules show more than five non-exempt games.

2. Schadenfreuder

Schadenfreuder New Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa / St. Pete FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There really should actually be a Spring season -- the national championship can be decided in the Fall season, but Spring college soccer should consist of a couple of large regional tournaments and a final 4 tourny say in May.

It just seems that there is a lot of potential growth and performance (and revenue) for college soccer that we're not tapping into.

3. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. Soccer is not a "revenue" sport. In college and even at the professional level, it is subsidized tremendously through sponsorships and institutions. And I don't see coca cola and acme corp, newspapers, or university presidents and football-minded AD's, clamoring at the gates for "more" soccer... and I don't see fans lining up and paying ducats to watch freshmen spring train. Enjoy spring soccer for what it is. A recruiting opportunity. A training opportunity. A feather in your cap if you win games. An opportunity for coaches to experiment with new lineups. Many Universities have explored the possibility of CUTTING BACK spring soccer because it is a money pit, not a "revenue oppty"

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #33 Cliveworshipper, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016

Well, we are all watching March madness and you can say the same about the most lucrative college sport. Attendance doesn't even pay the coaches salary.

In Football, only 2 PAC 12 teams made money, for example, and NO ACC football programs ran in the black.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2015/11/23/running-up-the-bills/

Of the five big conferences, only the SEC has more teams running in the black than in the red.

I laugh when people mention revenue sports. The reality is they loose 10 times the revenue soccer does.

5. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my area of the country football is a revenue sport. When football is doing well, donations to the university goes up, enrollment increases, and the local area businesses see an increase in revenue. The only other sports that have brought in revenue are men and women's basketball, all the other sports work in the red.

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think women's basketball may be borderline. The early round format for the NCAA Tournament is the format for non-revenue sports. It is possible, however, that the TV revenue from the elite eight on is sufficient to make it a slight money-maker, as the format from there on is similar to the format for a revenue sport.

7. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was speaking specifically about the University of Tennessee, where women's basketball will make money during successful seasons. This year they will lose money because the team was poorly coached and lost to some terrible teams.

8. D1bound

D1bound Member

Feb 7, 2015
    http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...most-profitable-college-football-teams-122215

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

from Sports business Daily:

10. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was replying to a post that was so ridiculous it suggested charging admission to spring soccer and hoisting trophies which is against NCAA guidelines. I just went to a scrim over the weekend. 10% of the folks who attended might even know who won the match. I don't think they are allowed to charge admission but if they did it would have a negative impact on the casual fan's experience. It's just a fun way to fill the time and a great way to get your program out there and keep players in shape. It is not a source of revenue and it's fine if nothing's at stake but player development and experimenting with line-ups.