2016 SPRING ATTENDANCE THREAD

Discussion in 'NASL' started by Darkwing McQuack, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #551 USRufnex, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Got it. It just said "FULL SCHEDULE" at the top with the next match's tickets and I missed the option further down the page to go to Fall Season. Thanks.

As for US Open Cup attendance, as a rule Wednesday night games are only reasonably popular if the host club is playing a team at least one division higher (this year's obvious exception is Rayo hosting Energy). We got a crowd of 4,578 for our first US Open Cup game hosting Energy FC while last year's Roughnecks FC open cup game hosting Energy FC midweek was lucky to get half that but no attendance figure was given -- I walked by ONEOK last year after Wed night choir rehearsal around the 75th minute and other than the two supporters groups the crowd looked pretty sparse. You could get rid of at least one midweek round by having USL and NASL enter in the same round. Or get rid of two midweek rounds by having MLS enter alongside USL and NASL, making sure those first round games are regionalized with the lower division PDL/NPSL/USASA club hosting the USL/NASL/MLS clubs whenever possible. Also, finish off getting rid of all MLS/USL/NASL affiliated clubs (including U23's) and move another game that would normally be played on Wednesday night to Saturday (or maybe Fri? Sun?).

My two cents.

2. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    That is how MLS got by in the first place. I'd imagine most investment in this sport began in a similar fashion.

Shirt sponsors took awhile to catch the eye of MLS as a source of revenue. I get the USSF is the driver behind the seat, that doesn't mean they have the best roadmap. The finals will always draw the biggest interest, and the lower divisions cannot draw as well at present. A cost-benefit analysis of expanding the tournament's publicity most likely falls off considerably -or rather entirely- after the third division. The market forces could change that in the next few years.

Not quite the same as my rationale, moreso, if you raise the salary cap you may attract better players in the future. Of course this doesn't improve the play of domestic players perse, it ought to improve the level of play across the board. I think MLS got it somewhat right with the DP stuff to achieve this. Translated to the cup; a bigger purse and a sponsor ought to drive interest. Granted the infrastructure below the MLS is not where it needs to be to broadcast, market/sell the product effectively, it is getting better.

3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    The problem with any of these wish list items Footy as that it is USSF run.

I know their workings....I used to be involved back in the day. I had real sources until several years ago.

These are not highly qualified, business experienced, soccer savvy individuals we are talking about here. It's mostly people who did the job when no one else would, for virtually nothing, when the game meant little here.

They are entrenched and not giving up their power. There are no checks and balances, no one to answer to. It's political through and through. It's how FIFA became hopelessly bureaucratic and corrupt.

Just look at the mess since Sunil was named Pres. Youth failures across the board, omnipotent power to a coach with a very limited resume, with no TD abilities, who has zero accountability, no matter how poorly he does or what ever stupid/non sensical thing he says or does. Sunil recycling his buddies from NJ over an over again...cronyism at it's best.

MLS was started as a business by individuals who would be held accountable or who would lose tons of money. Thank goodness Phil and Lamar stuck it out and had the will. They hired a businessman to lead them...not a soccer guy.

Folks truly don't understand how limited much of the USSF is skill wise when it comes to business and the game of soccer itself.

If you are looking for the USSF to lead the charge in a bold, professional, and aggressive manner, using thought and ingenuity, don't hold your breathe.

4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we (fans of the sport, specific team, league, The Open Cup, etc.) want the Open Cup to grow in stature, then we need to go to the games. We need to actually plant our asses on our couch and watch the final when it is on TV. We need to watch the streams on YouTube. That is the only way investors and USSF will take notice, and start to give a crap.

We're starting to see it a bit with some MLS teams (SKC, Seattle, RSL, Portland, & Philly in recent years) fielding nearly their top starting 11 in all or most rounds. Though for each of those teams there are more that won't bother to send their coach to a midweek game. Often times, the LA Galaxy would field an LA II side during those midweek trips to Carolina all those years. RBNY didn't bother to turn up in Hempstead one year and got embarrassed, The Revs seem to be indifferent to the competition, ditto Columbus. Those examples aside, we're starting to see more MLS teams take this competition seriously. Let's face it, there are two trophies to win for MLS teams: MLS Cup and the Open Cup. The Shield isn't as prestigious now that a CCL spot goes to each Conference Winner and not the MLS Cup Runner Up. So MLS teams should start to take the competition more seriously each year, especially as the league grows and expands to 24 teams and beyond. Legitimate chances at Silverware will only get tougher.

ceezmad, Burr, Sam U El and 3 others repped this.
  5. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, yes, the Quarterfinal round.
    Or, as I like to call it: St. Totteringham's Day for the Pro/Rel crowd.

6. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Lockhart Stadium

[​IMG]

7. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't "rivalry games" supposed to draw more people? We could have our first sub 1k game on our hands.

8. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1,297 in Ft. Lauderdale

9. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    #559 FootySkeptic, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    6078 in TB.

Duke Kickass repped this.
  10. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darn. Was hoping we'd break 1K! What about Miami?

11. eal22

eal22 Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Regarding Fort Lauderdale, is the stadium or its location an issue? Doesn't look like the worst place to watch a game of football.

12. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    • 2011 - 3,985
    • 2012 - 3,615
    • 2013 - 4,265
    • 2014 - 3,825
    • 2015 - 4,471
    This year's drop off is really off a cliff. Miami FC joining the league is probably impacting them negatively. However Miami's attendance outside of their opener has been equally poor. The experiment of putting two NASL teams in the same market is off to a poor start. Unless something changes, I wouldn't be surprised if the combined 2016 average attendances of Miami and Ft Lauderdale ends up lower than the Strikers' 2015 average.

13. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly all too damn predictable.

Zoidberg repped this.
  15. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I don't think it has much to do with Miami FC. The drop off happened in the second half of last season. I put this on marketing and sales.

16. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I don't even believe those numbers.

17. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Something of note, both Ft. Lauderdale and Miami FC increased their attendance from their previous home games. Ft. Lauderdale was +249 and Miami FC was +608. I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully these are the first signs of positive changes.

18. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    5786 in Carolina.

The table is getting awfully crowded at the top after tonight...

19. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4,118 in OKC

The Derby game the other day may of had a small effect and stopped OKC attendance slide. At least for now.

20. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    #570 brentgoulet, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    Maybe (in soccer we never know)

Positive that the fans saw their first ever ''franchise home win''

Prosoccercdn, Burr and ManuSooner repped this.
  21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when Miami was going to be great because they actually play in Miami and Nesta and blah blah blah blah?

Good times.

Brother Badgerjohn repped this.
  22. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to get the first home win. Also good to get it with a very depleted side. I think it might lead to some serious discussions about roster moves leading into the break.

23. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Not to mention that your team managed to end a game with still 11 on the field ;)

msilverstein47, ManuSooner and Sam U El repped this.
  24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    One might see it the other way round and say it is great that fans showed up TWICE in 4 days to see their Rayo despite the home loss in the USOC

Only the future will tell

ManuSooner repped this.
  25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but when this is what NASL teams draw in the Open Cup:

OKC - 4,385
    TBR - 3,455
    IND - 2,145
    CAR - 1,769
    JAX - 1,200
    NYC - 984
    MIA - 300
    FTL - 200

Nobody is going to step up and just sponsor the tournament for the good of the order. And no one buys tickets because of who the sponsor is.

Again, weeknight, usually a non-sexy opponent, short sales cycle....all of these things are valid reasons why the tournament doesn't draw particularly well.

But it's also the market saying it is not hugely interested (yet) and sponsors and money follow interest, they don't create it.

brentgoulet and jaykoz3 repped this.