2016 SEC Thread

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Kazoo, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Sawedoff

Sawedoff Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Aug 9, 2015
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roll Tide! I just hope Alabama can finish strong and win 3 of their last 4.

2. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    It would be 3 of last 5. SEC teams have 5 games left.
    It is possible.

Not going to win: @ Missouri and @ Florida
    Would need to win: Georgia, @LSU, Vanderbilt

Of course with this season in the SEC, anything is possible. Just when I think I have it figured out, something else weird happens.

3. Sawedoff

Sawedoff Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Aug 9, 2015
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'Yep, looks like I overlooked the Vanderbilt game.

Well, in that case, 4 of 5. :) If only....

4. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Unless something drastically changes, 4 of 5 does not seem likely. In their last 6 they are 1-4-1. The only win of any note is a 9th place in the league A&M (2-3-1 in the league) They padded their schedule with cupcakes and it seems that sense of confidence they had is waning as the talent in the SEC is different. They are 2-3-1 in the league and have only played 1 of the top 6.

The Vanderbilt team is an interesting one to me. I was bullish on them until Friday. Was it a bad game? Anyone see it?

Honestly never thought I'd see a day when UF and A&M were 4th and 9th in the league 6 games in. Just madness.

5. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    South Carolina is very good--starting with their defense, and McCaskill (sp) (a tank with feet who's than she seems) pretty much gets a goal every game. Arkansas is having an unbelievable season for a team that was not good, at all, last year. Not sure how they're doing it--but they certainly are getting results. I watched the hogs play bama and both teams looked OK--fairly even match--and Arky scored in OT, as a recall, to win.

Vandy was playing well but didn't look great against Tennessee and was kind of gifted that game, and then the 'dores got handled by arkansas.

The SEC seems to have a couple of teams annually who have the polish to compete with good teams nationally, maybe a third team who is good but not quite at a level to compete with national big boys then a bunch of teams (7 or 8) who can be competitive and play well but who are inconsistent and hard to predict, and then three or four teams that struggle. Top to bottom it is competitive, as is typically the case in the SEC.

6. Sawedoff

Sawedoff Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Aug 9, 2015
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... highly doubtful they'll finish undefeated. So, yeah, most unlikely. Well, here's to hoping they can get it together and finish strong.

7. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    South Carolina beats Florida with a much deserved PK in the second OT. 14 wins in a row to go along with a tie in first game.

Officially in control of the SEC.

8. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    I saw McCaskill blatantly dive in the OT, and I think she did it one other time. There is no place for it in football. I was glad to see the Florida player scream at her after the play.

9. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give me a break.

10. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I completely agree....I saw it twice..the one you speak of was completely aggregiouse. and it even made Jill Loyden (on Color) slightly uncomfortable....That said, the PK that was given was completely legit and frankly just stupid by the Florida defense

11. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    McCaskill is just jealous because she will never get a USWNT call-up like Savannah Jordan.

Remember the battles Kat Williamson and Kayla Grimsley used to have with each other?
    Those were Classic.

12. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    The SEC should drop the idea of a 10-team tournament and go to eight teams, which is much more sensible. To expect any of the 6-10 seeds to win four games in one week is absurd. Hell, it's absurd to even play four games in one week, much less expect to win four. Everybody wants to get in the tourney--but you have to be sensible. It's also unfair that the winner of game 1--in this case, Tennessee--has to play the first quarterfinal, meaning it will play two games in the tournament before most of the teams play one game. That's seems unfair. Why not let the two first day winners play the late games on Wednesday?

13. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    I like the 10 team format.
    Let the #7, #8, #9, and #10 seeds have a disadvantage by having to win one extra game, and do it on tired legs.
    Reward the Top 6 teams, who finished in the Top 6 of 14 teams in the conference.
    They were better than the "majority" of the teams in the conference.

And the defending was overrated tonight.

Kat Williamson is still the best pure defender to ever come out of the SEC, yes ever.
    She had too many injuries, but if she had stayed healthy enough her entire career, she'd be on the USWNT now.

14. LilKicker

LilKicker Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Anyone know what happened with Wes from Alabama and G from TAMU? I thought I saw Wes say "he said he was going to F me up" HaHa!!

15. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    That's exactly what was said.
    They were about to get into it.
    Wes was implying "Bring it", and was being held back.

16. LilKicker

LilKicker Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Side note. Who wins that one? G has old man strength but Wes is a crafty bugger.

Anyone else think Tenn is lucky to have gotten through? disallowed goal on a questionable call and then a phantom pk?

17. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    What other conference has a 10-team tourney? Has a 6-10 seed ever won the tourney? I'd be shocked if they had. It's dumb because nobody can play four effective games in a week; you'd be hard pressed to play three, and even with three need some major minutes from subs. It's also an easy way to get injured. Don't like it. Also, if you're going to have 10 teams and in theory make the games 1 and 2 winners play four games, at least give those teams a bit more rest. Instead, the conference makes the game 1 winner play the first game on Wednesday.

I would hardly call the penalty on Ole Miss a phantom call. Most officials would have called that one, IMO. The keeper may have tipped the ball with her toe--but she was also slamming into and pulling down the Tennessee forward at the same time. Playing auburn might be a hill too steep for Tennessee--I think auburn could be a sleeper team in the NCAA. Texas a&M v. South Carolina could be interesting as the aggies have got some key players back....

18. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Texas A&M is going to beat South Carolina.

19. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    I believe they have only done the 10 team format after they invited Texas A&M and Missouri into the SEC.
    I think it used to be 8 teams before that. It wasn't always 10, that's for sure.

Tennessee was a #7 - #10 seed back in 2014, and won their first two games, to get to the Semifinal.
    LSU was a #7 or #8 seed last year, and won their first two games, and then also lost in the Semifinal.
    It's got a March Madness feel to it for these #7 - #10 seeds. They really have to go on a run to get an automatic bid.

20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next conference in alphabetical order!

21. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    You make my point. Both of the teams you cite lost in the semifinals, and no doubt both were spent already. It's hard enough to win two games much less three or four. I watched the Tennessee seminal game in 2014, and they had starters hobbling around. You'd have to give every player on your team big minutes just to survive four games. The March Madness analogy doesn't quite work because in the NCAA basketball tourney, you play two games Friday-Sunday and then get at least four days off before the start of the next round. Big difference. It /seems/ fun and inclusive to have 10 teams, it's good for coaches, but, IMO, eight seems a lot more sensible. Watching tired players drag themselves around the field isn't all that pretty.

22. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Do you mean the Southern Conference, CP? You are right--they have a 10-team tourney. BUT: their tournament is over two weeks! They played their quarterfinals last Saturday and play their semifinal matches this Friday--six days to recover from your first two games! That's very doable. Playing four matches in 6 days--Monday through Sunday--is crazy and, in terms of player safety, not very smart.

23. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what the players would prefer. My guess is that the 9 and 10 team players would prefer a 10 team tournament. I think I recall from several years ago that the SEC players really like the tournament.

24. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    It's a rare player who doesn't like a tournament--and in this case the tournament is a chance for lower-seeded teams to make a case for an NCAA bid--maybe they can nudge out...Va Tech! That's fine. My point, which I may not have made clearly enough, is that if you are going to have a tournament, then every team should have a /fair chance/ to win the tournament. Playing four matches in six days is not even close to a fair chance--it's an impossible task. Three is extremely difficult and not good; four is just plain dumb. Look at the ACC: 8 team tourney--and their two finalists will play three games in 7 days--with a full 5 day break between the Sunday quarterfinals and the Friday semifinals. Sensible. The SEC quarterfinalists must play 3 games in 5 days--big difference--and the first round winners, as mentioned, are playing 4 games in six days. Not sensible at all--and let's remember that everyone has just finished a tough regular season, so players are already a bit worn by the start of the tourney.

25. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All good points. I know that the SEC has had a lot of discussion about its tournament. There are a lot of factors, including the ones you mention, factors related to the RPI, and factors related to player preferences. Notwithstanding all of your points, so far, on balance, they have elected to go with the bigger tournament. I imagine this gets re-discussed every year.