2016 SEC Thread

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Kazoo, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Here's what I've seen or read so far in the SEC, 2016 season.

Auburn and georgia both played a good, experienced Clemson team in the first two weeks of the season--and both lost. Clemson beat auburn 2-0 and defeated georgia 3-1.

Last night a talented, technical UCLA team beat a solid texas A&M team 1-0 in front of a big a&m crowd. A&M is a tough place to play with spectators seated all around the field and very close to the field. It was a competitive game. IMO UCLA was the better team in run of play and was rewarded for its composure, scoring a nifty goal with 7+ minutes remaining. But a&m, well-organized, got 10 corner kicks.

Arkansas, one of the worst teams in the SEC last year, shocked a highly ranked Duke team last night, beating the blue devils in Fayetteville 2-1. That's got to be the upset of the season. Playing at (off the beaten track) arkansas is never easy, but credit to the hogs for a big win.

Tennessee finally got Hannah Wilkinson back after she has missed nearly two seasons with knee problems, but the Vols scoring problems continue. UT outplayed Washington, from the Pac12 conference, dominated possession for much of the game and got 12 corner kicks, but could not put the ball in the net and lost 0-1. The Vols have scored 1 goal in three games. Washington defenders kicked two UT balls off their goal line and won it with an absolute belter of a goal, from some 30 yards out, in the first half--one of the best strikes of the year.

Memphis beat a ranked Ole Miss team last night, 2-1., in Oxford. Memphis played well--scored two early goals--and outplayed Mississippi for much of the match.

Florida is in the middle of a murder's row schedule. The gators started the season well but lost to a talented Stanford team in OT last night 1-0. (I somehow missed that game on the tv schedule--would have loved to watch it.). Based on the stat lines, sounds like florida was on the back foot for a decent part of the game, but someone who actually saw it can add more. The gators play UCLA tomorrow followed by florida state. Now that's a three-game stretch!

2. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Florida at Stanford:
    (starts around 15:42)

3. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Thanks for that video, WWC.

4. oldmangrumpus

oldmangrumpus Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What's the biggest shocker thus far: UF going on the road and beating UCLA, ARK beating Duke, Bama being 4-0 (haven't played anyone of note though), or UT continuing to struggle? My vote: Tennessee. Too much talent.

5. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Tennessee has a nice group of athletes but they are young--except for Wilkinson, who is finally playing against after missing nearly two years with knee injuries. (For some reason Wilkinson's knees are always OK when she is playing for the New Zealand national team, then as soon as she sets foot back in Knoxville she is limping again!) Their other forward is a first-year player--talented, but young. They need to play better soccer in the attacking half and put the ball in the net--scoring is the problem. They completely controlled the second half against a pretty solid Washington team had numerous corner kicks and did not score a goal.

Still, arkansas beating duke is the biggest upset in the country so far, IMO.

I was surprised that florida scored 4 on UCLA, which shut out texas a&M in college station a couple of days earlier and looked very solid in doing so. One doesn't see two good teams score 7 goals between them very often at all--in fact, it's rare.

We'll probably see a lot of tight games in the conference.

6. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Last week a good Southern Cal team beat both georgia (3-0) and auburn (2-0).

Florida went west and got beat by Stanford then beat UCLA 4-3 in a high-scoring game.

Arkansas lost to George Washington after Beating northern Iowa two days earlier

Tennessee lost to a good BYU team in Provo, then beat a weak American University team in D.C..

LSU beat Indiana and Butler last week after losing to George Washington and Colgate the week before.

Ole Miss lost of Michigan (0-2) then beat Troy

Georgia, after losing to USC, lost to Iowa State

Kentucky beat Louisville and High Point

Missouri beat San Francisco then lost to Notre Dame (away) 0-1.

Alabama lost to South Florida, then beat Florida Gulf Coast Miss. State beat South Alabama and Southern Miss.

The conference schedule starts end of this week, and then we'll start to get a better read on all these teams.

7. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kazoo, did you know that South Carolina is in the SEC?

Beat Clemson on Saturday.

8. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Apologies to the obvious south carolina fan. I thought i covered everybody. After starting the update, I quickly came to regret it as the big five conferences are...too big.

9. Nice shot

Nice shot New Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Texas A&M (also in the SEC ;)) beat UALR 1-0 on Friday, and Illinois 2-0 last night. Conference opener against LSU next Sunday.

Florida hammered Oklahoma St yesterday - I believe the final was 7-2.

10. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were some thrashings in the opening week of SEC play.

Alabama trounces Tennessee - 5-1
    Mizzou whips Ole Miss - 5-0
    Arkansas beats Mississippi State - 5-2
    So. Carolina takes care of Georgia - 3-o

Exciting first week if your team was on the positive side. Not so much for the others,

11. oldmangrumpus

oldmangrumpus Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ummm. Will the TN coach make it to Nov 1st? Worse conference loss since 1999. Ouch.

12. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Tennessee made some major changes to the defense including both CB and GK in the game Sunday. Pensky seems to be willing to shake things up. He has some great recruiting classes coming in and his best players save Wilkinson are very young. Missing Cousins to u20s. I know some think she is overrated, but watching last year she rarely gave up possession, in large part due to her ability to manage the ball under pressure in tight spaces, and was a very hard worker on both sides of the ball. Obviously the WNT program see a value there. Didn't make a lot of highlight reel type plays, but was quietly excellent in my opinion as a hard working box to box midfielder (#8).

Will the AD give him some time? National and ACC coach of the year at MD- what's his problem at TN?

South Carolina's beating Clemson is significant. They did indeed beat them convincingly. SM was a beast. If she stays hot they could go deep.

13. oldmangrumpus

oldmangrumpus Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ummmmmm...Roll Tide! 2-1 over TA&M.

Sawedoff repped this.
  14. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    South Carolina seems the class of the conference. I haven't seen them play much, but they are very sound defensively, it seems, and McCaskill seems to get at least one goal a game, despite defenses focusing on her, and that attention on McCaskill seems to free up others for scoring chances as well. McCaskill is not the graceful of forwards--she is built like a linebacker but can run and has ball skills. Like Jordan at florida, she has an uncanny knack for putting the ball in the net.

Arkansas continues to get results--how, I'm not sure. They nipped alabama in overtime, and then beat ole miss by a goal. I have a feeling they will return to earth, but they're probably better than I realize--they have to be, having beaten both duke and florida. Vanderbilt is playing well--a good possession team. Texas a&m and Kentucky are struggling. Florida lost two in a row but is young and talented and just beat Tennessee. Tennessee is young and showing talent but lacks depth and needs to be better in possession. Pensky took a talented freshman forward, Maya Neal, who is also a heptathlete, and put her at centerback and she could very well be all conference at that position before long--if she agrees to stay there. Auburn will be buoyed by its victory over florida (two howlers by the florida keeper).

It is, as usually, a very competitive conference: there might be a couple of pacesetters at the top of the league, a couple of weak teams at the bottom--and 10 teams in the middle all battling for position and not a lot of difference among them except the luck/ability to nip a result.

15. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kentucky had an interesting game plan against the Gamecocks, bring all 10 back and try to get a 0-0 draw. The Wildcats had no one past the center line and were limited to 2 shots the whole game. Not shots on goal, shots total! They never evened threatened. I guess they were trying to "Sweden" South Carolina.

16. oldmangrumpus

oldmangrumpus Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Wow. You can almost hear Hope Solo calling out UK. "Cowards!"

17. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    That was a rather bizarre tactic against a South Carolina team that, yes, has McCaskill but is not what I think of as a high-scoring team. And it's not like Kentucky is a bad team, though they are struggling at the moment. We know about parking the bus but that seems a little absurd and probably threw Kentucky off more than SC.

18. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    South Carolina is scoring at a rate of 2.55 goals per game. They never have been a high scoring team but this is a new year.

19. Michael Gibson

Dec 23, 2014
    Check out McCaskill's assists on the first and third goals.

20. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    It will be interesting to see if that was just for us or if that is something they continue. Based on recent history it seemed odd. We didn't play them last year but their results against top of the conference teams was good. They lost to A&M 1-0 and tied UF 1-1. Last time they played us they beat us 1-0. It was a weird game.

21. LilKicker

LilKicker Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    2 pretty incredible plays however I'm not sure the first is an assist as the kid shot it off the post and got the rebound and then finished.

22. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    I saw kentucky play alabama a week or two ago and the wildcats completely dominated alabama, had more than 20 shots in the game--and at least 5+ gilt-edged chances, as some commentators like to say, and could not finish. A wide-open net and they hit the ball six feet over the crossbar. In fact, had alabama not been called for a handball in the box/penalty kick, which kentucky converted, the wildcats would have lost. Ended in a 1-1 tie, as I recall. So much of this game is taking your chances.

23. oldmangrumpus

oldmangrumpus Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree with this assessment, except I would add that this team is not strong enough to pull off the three back approach. Too much risk for this team. In the Bama game, this opened the door for Bama.

24. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    alabama and arkansas have both been very opportunistic this year--both seem pretty effective in counterattack. Alabama, in particular, doesn't get many shots but has been very good about converting--which in the end is key. I don't think they are especially good, but as mentioned, taking your chances will get results even if you're not great in run of play. As for arkansas, I want to watch them them play again and see what they are dong well. I think they've got one forward who is dangerous in counter. I saw a bit of their game against florida, on a very wet field, and they scored two early and held on. I also some of their games against alabama and ole miss--and while I can't say I was wowed, they won both games by a goal. Nipped on in OT to beat bama 2-1 and beat ole miss by the same score! They're doing something right.

25. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Very happy to see Vanderbilt (4-1-0 in the Conference) having a good year. Hopefully they can keep it going into November. Big game at Arkansas on 10/6 #anchordown