News: 2016 season general AUFC news thread

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 8, 2015.

1. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to not try to interpret MLS rules and just go by what they tell me. I end up less confused.

2. nirwin

nirwin Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Aug 20, 2007
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! This is my first year following MLS at more than a cursory level, so I'll likely learn soon enough.

Those accumulation rules as now written really are confusing as hell. It's made me even less likely than I already was to try and make some sense of TAM and the salary cap and whatnot. Very likely not worth the headache when I'll probably interpret it wrong, anyway.

3. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Some nice reading about the Benz

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/feat...anta-united-mercedes-benz-stadium-made-soccer

Couple things I pulled out of the article that I found interesting. The canopy to cover the upper deck is segmented so it doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition for upper bowl seating. If they wanted to only open sideline seating on one side for a game they can.

The lower bowl is adjustable in the corners. Seats that may be available for the Falcons can be retracted for United matches to allow more room for the pitch. That's pretty hot.

Auriaprottu and GunnerJacket repped this.
  4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal's win knocks us below the playoff line. Granted, we have less games played, but we have zero room for error. The East, aside from Chicago Fire, who seem to have fizzled, has been on Fire.

5. nirwin

nirwin Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Aug 20, 2007
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there's actually a fair amount of room for error, it just looks like there isn't. We have four games in hand on Columbus, who's tied with Montreal at just a point ahead of us, and there are no remaining head-to-head games with them. We have two games in hand on Montreal, too, but we should easily jump Columbus and there will be very little they can do about it, as long as we stay in decent form.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You're right, and it doesn't even look like there isn't. The points column doesn't mean as much as some might think because teams aren't balanced in games played.

We have at least two games in hand on everyone ahead of us (three on Chicago and Toronto, four on Columbus) and two on everyone below us except New England. We're in a great place so long as we handle business in those games. I see us making the playoffs without too much fuss at this point, and I think anything below East #1 is a realistic goal with Chicago's current form. I'll take a #3 or #4 to avoid playing that one must-win game on the road. If we can reach the conference semis, I think we have a good chance to advance in a two-legged tie against anyone.

nirwin repped this.
  7. nirwin

nirwin Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Aug 20, 2007
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll actually go this far: Though the chances are not very high for either, I think the chances of us getting to No. 2 and securing a bye to the conference semifinals are actually higher than the chances of us missing the playoffs.

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll agree with this... pending the midweek result at our seeming arch-nemesis DCU. :oops:

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, three out of four ain't bad. RBNY lost, Chicago lost, and Columbus drew, closing the gap even more. Would have been a perfect weekend if the Revs had been able to hold their lead.

I almost laugh every time I think of it. They've won six matches all year and two were against us. Go figure.

When the bolded happened to me in ML, I usually bought their best player and sold him to another club. We bought Boswell. Might still work.

10. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EVERYONE PANIC! We haven't played a match in two weeks and other teams passed us in the standings! What are we to do?!?!?

Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No need for sarcasm. It's a talking point that the playoff race is going to be tight for us.

12. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/mls/

Interesting little statistical site in the link above. Shows that we have an 89% chance of making the post season and a 16% chance of earning a bye. They follow that up by figuring we have a 5% chance of winning it all!

Honestly we are in great position to do some damage and have our post season destiny in our own hands. Once the team gets back from Philly this weekend we'll only have two road games remaining.

13. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, it's going to be tough, especially because Montreal found themselves. But my sarcasm comes from people (not necessarily on this forum) who thing that we're in real trouble. MTL has played 3 matches since we last played and earned 9 points. Yes, that's good for them, but if we had not laid dormant for more than two match weeks, we'd be above them (IMO).

Basically, the point is, we've got this. Let's just please please please go out and beat DCU this week. Please.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ATLfirefan repped this.
  16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  17. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks awesome. Can't wait for Sunday.

I'm glad to see the trolling continue from MLS:

So Geiger refs the first ever game in Atlanta, and then he gets to ref the first game at the Benz. Well done MLS.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice game yesterday.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Danke. It was fun to watch and take in. I'm loving every freaking minute of this!

Every.
    Freaking.
    Sold-out.
    Screaming.
    Minute!

20. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loved the game, and the new stadium. But for some reason it didn't sound quite as loud as Bobby Dodd from where I sit. Did anyone else have that experience? It could just be where we're sitting.

21. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it definitely was a bit feast or famine. I think BDS seemed louder because it was a compact environment, whereas MBS is more open, That said, the goals and crowd chants were MUCH louder.

Basically, we all need to do better at making noise throughout the match.

22. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Enjoyed this one tremendously, mainly because it was over soon enough to calm my fears. Trying not to get ahead of the season, but this is just great.

One thing that concerns me is the way we seem to get our points v. how Toronto does. They've got about 5 more goals than we do and allowed about five fewer, but they have 18 wins. When we get points, we tend to beat the shit out of people or we draw. I haven't looked at their scores, but I'd bet they win more games by a goal than we have.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true.

Either we are going to absolutely murder teams or we are going to draw or lose by a goal.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  25. nirwin

nirwin Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Aug 20, 2007
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll trade that for the larger field which perfectly suits our style of play.

For the record, I haven't been able to go to a game at MBS yet, but it doesn't come across as any less rowdy over the TV.

It is true that the stands were half-full when the New England and Los Angeles games started, but that's midweek 7 p.m. games in Atlanta for you.

Auriaprottu repped this.