News: 2016 season general AUFC news thread

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 8, 2015.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Confirmed yesterday that Almiron and Jones have been called for international duty. Was hoping Miguel might get a pass and he stil might make the Chicago match, but even if he does he'll likely be really tired. Expecting to see a lot more of Kratz as a result.

No word yet about Martinez possibly practicing with the team this week. Fingers crossed.

a) That's pretty cool! Not sure I'd call it worthy of an Ultimate Father's Day gift pack, but it is cool.
    b) What about us Dad's that already have tix?!!

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Was really hoping to see that one and take the kids to DC on a spontaneous 2-day vacation, but work schedule turned against me. Just as well as I'd rather see them in Audi Field than RFK.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Rest of the Open Cup was drawn today. Atlanta travels to defend MLS' honor against the NASL Miami FC in a couple weeks. Advance and they play the winner of FC Cincy hosting Chicago. (Home field TBD) So, 4 more wins and it's the team's first trophy! Who's with me?!

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Guzan is officially working out with the team, now. Cue soap opera in the locker rooms.

6. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    GunnerJacket repped this.
  7. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love it.

887433579390742533 is not a valid tweet id

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Desperate for a rival?

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's lonely near the top. After a while, even an Orlando City looks worthy...

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    4th in the... closer to the red line than to...

Sure. You can have this.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This whole forced rivalry s*** drives me f***ing crazy. Penny-ante crap for what should be left to mature naturally like other major sports.

Seriously, AUFC, rise above this crap.

Mucky repped this.
  12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #337 Auriaprottu, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Wrong perspective. We're fourth of eleven. And sixth of 22, FWIW. 16 teams want to be where we are pointswise, and that number will likely be around 18-20 by season's end.

We DO have it. We took it without asking anybody.

Ditch whatever high school atmosphere you're accustomed to and come join America's Club, bro. Call the Benz your home like 83.6% :whistling: of all MLS game attendees do

We forgive all past transgressions and you can start fresh. #FlagshipFranchise #PremLevelDigs #NoBleachersInTheATL

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's a bit tacky, but do you really think they're trying to stir shit up? I'm not convinced of that at all. Probably just trying to boost Orlando's meager attendance, which will help MLS overall.

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What are you on about here? At just over 25k Orlando has the 4th highest attendance going and fills their venue to 99% capacity.

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What's the margin of error on 99%? If they're consistently selling out a 25.5K pillbox, I might be inclined to think they can go places with a stadium upgrade. But if they're not selling out, it may mean simply that they've topped out at 25K. That attendance being fourth just shows how far the rest of the league has to go in attracting fans (most MLS stadia aren't selling out), in a country of 300+ million people. I wish all of MLS could follow our example, but we lucked out getting an NFL owner to buy in and build a stadium that will hold everybody who wants to come.

As far as us being able to help them, well, that was typed without the research. I see now that they're doing the best they can with the seating capacity they have.

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    True that several MLS teams have attendance issues that need to be addressed. Orlando isn't one of them. Their venue that just opened this year is considered among the best pure MLS stadiums after Red Bull arena.

Like you said, we're among the fortunate. So much so that I'd say our example/situation is far more extraordinary than most people realize. The average for the league is just over 21k but the mean is just barely over 20k, with a sizable chunk of teams in the 16-19k range. But keep in mind how far the league has already come: MLS had 6 years where the entire league average was below 15k, including its nadir of 13,756 in 2000. MLS has made HUGE progress since those days.

The Franchise repped this.
  18. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know when parking for MBS will be available? It's available for Falcons. Don't know why it wouldn't be for us. Same lots. Cheaper prices?

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Stupid, meaningless, stupidly meaningless All-Star game. I don't care if a bunch of guys from our league are as good as Madrid or not. I don't care about Madrid. I have a club. And my club's chances of competing just took a hit because somebody thought caring about Madrid was a good idea. Good grief, just let these non-MLS teams play each other here ad leae it at that.

I'm just sick at heart.

20. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The injury sucks but the choice of opponent wasn't a factor. If not for Madrid we'd have an East vs West thing, or US vs. the World, whatever. Either way Garza plays. Fate happens. I'm just thankful it was only this and not, say, a torn MCL or another hip injury.

I'm also, sadly admittedly, happy that it was only to Greg and not Almiron.

Hopefully the team is built to handle this long-term. I'm thinking Greg misses the SKC match but is back after that.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, yes, my rant is that we have an All-Star game to begin with. What's the point? There is none.

I'm halfway thinking this idiotic practice would have stopped without having a foreign opponent. I'm happy with the league I have, now that I have a top-flight club to support. I don't feel the need to go pay UEFA or CONMEBOL to pretend they care about us. I don't care about Madrid any more than say, a Hearts (of Midlothian or Oak) or AEK Athens or Santos or Grampus Eight fan does. My only concerns footballwise are the MLS Cup and the CONCACAF Champions League. The CWC is a farce because it always seems somebody cares too much and someone else doesn't care enough. I'd rather pass entirely than beat or lose to a confed that doesn't care.

My status as an American doesn't transfer over to this game, and that's okay with me. Plenty of lower leagues get by just fine without sniffing 'round the big clubs looking for approval. My club outdraws the last two Prem champions as it is.

Yeah, that sentiment makes me feel guilty, but it's there.

trauma repped this.
  22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Haven't checked other threads but AUFC site says Garza should only miss one game due to shoulder injury. As good as he could hope, thankfully.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  23. nirwin

nirwin Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Aug 20, 2007
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless I'm mistaken about the yellow card accumulation rules (and I just read it again, so I really don't think that I am), Larentowicz, Asad and Gonzalez Pirez are all suspended for the game at D.C. for having accrued five yellow cards on the season.

There is a "good behavior rule," if you will, where if you're sitting on four for three straight games and don't either get a fifth or get a separate red card, your total is reduced by one. None of those three were able to go three games without a caution, though.

On the bright side, this does mean that Almiron, who has been sitting on four, does effectively have three, as he's gone more than three games on four total cautions.

24. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to this, no ATLUTD player was in danger of yellow card accumulation suspension heading into the weekend of August 4. We'll if this changes on Friday, though.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/topic/discipline/summary

25. nirwin

nirwin Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Aug 20, 2007
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I looked at it again and MLS changed the yellow card accumulation rules, but left the site with the old ones up (and the old one is still the top choice when you google "MLS card accumulation rules"), just to make it nice and confusing. Long story short, you're right, none of them were in yellow card danger.

Long story long, they changed the "good behavior" rule from three consecutive matches without incident (card or subsequent suspension by Disciplinary Committee) only when you're one card away from suspension, to five consecutive matches without incident no matter how many cards you have (I'm guessing you can't go from zero to minus-1 and so forth, but the rule isn't 100 percent clear on that). Also, they changed it from a one-time opportunity to a three-time opportunity over the course of the season.

It makes it very difficult to figure out how close players are to yellow card suspensions, so I'll probably stop trying and just go by that report from now on.