2016 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Steven Vitoria has contract recinded by Benfica. Was at the Philadelphia Union last year and is now a free agent.

I could see him intrrsted at he switched alligence to Canada and NE is pretty close for CAN NT

With consistency he would be a great option with Jogo and Farrell back at RB and Tierney at LB

CDM is a big one to fill

2. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing Pollyanna at Happy Beach, when a tsunami is unfolding, isn't cathartic; it's dangerous. Fact.

RevsLiverpool and Minutemanii repped this.
  3. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    " Burns and Kraft are to the Revs what Obama and Clinton are to the country "

Who knew, Comrade, you harbored such naughty Counter-Revolutionary thoughts.....;)

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it doesn't surprise me in the least that a thought like that would come from a GOP debate. Those guys blame Obama if it rains, and then if it's a sunny day, it's Obama's fault that everyone is going to get skin cancer... Anyway, enough of the politics.

Someone mentioned Revs history, and thinking back to previous years, they actually DID bring in lots of new players every year, and that was something to feel excited about, even if the players didn't always live up to our hopes. If you can't feel optimistic in pre-season, when can you feel good about your team? Just from memory, here are some of the players the Revs brought in in the off-seasons of the early years:

1996-97: Roster churn from a poor 1996 team that missed the playoffs meant that several new additions were needed. They brought in 2 Argentines, a left back/mid Leonardo Squadrone, who had a good soccer brain and good skills, but unfortunately was not quick enough for the run-and-gun, athleticism-over-skills MLS. Alejandro "Colo" Farais was a rock-solid, tough as nails defensive mf, a guy who ate lightbulbs for breakfast. He played a large part in the improved D, and we made the playoffs for the first time. Fellow Argie Beto Naveda was our #10, a holdover from the previous year.

1997-98: Unfortunately Farias was allowed to leave, and needed to be replaced. I asked Rongen after the season why they didn't keep him and he hemmed and hawed about who knows what. At a Nats game in November, someone else asked the smae question and he said he was on loan. At least he figured out the party line. Maybe MLS didn't want to purchase him? Too bad, he was the kind of player you want to keep! This year's additions were Dutch. Richard Goulooze (who was Faris' replacement) and Edwin Gorter (Naveda's replacement) were brought in. Goulooze was decent, but not what Farias had been. Gorter was magic, a great passer and playmaker, but was on the old side. We also traded a draft pick for Raul Diaz Arce, who had been one of the top scorers in the league the past two seasons. An El Salvador international, it was hoped that he'd bring out more Central American fans.

I'll post more on other years, but the point is clear: They used to bring in quality players, guys who they expected to start and be top-level players in the league. Of course, at the time foreign acquisitions were handled by the League, a guy named Sunil Gulati, so the Revs didn't actually have to go out and find these guys. The league did, and it was up to the clubs to lobby for why they (and not Tampa Bay or Dallas or Colorado) should get player x. There was no allocation pecking order at that time either. When Gulati came to work for the Revs, that was one thing I thought he could help us with. How wrong I was on that....

pwykes, Jon Martin, dncm and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It wasn't for just a draft pick (our 1st rounder in the 1999 college draft, which turned out to be the 1st overall pick), we also traded Alexi Lalas to the MetroStars in what was a three-team blockbuster trade.

At the time Diaz Arce was the league's all-time leading scorer and Lalas was the face of our franchise (although he hadn't been particularly successful on the field). It was franchise altering trade that had a lot of people excited about our club's future.

dncm repped this.
  6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can only shuffle deck chairs on the Titanic so many times...

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doc, without any new additions to our roster apart from a couple unsigned draft picks, what would you suggest we talk about? Not even being snarky it's a legit question.
    Said another way:
    Zero offseason moves means...

Wait for it...

There. Is. Nothing. New. To. Talk. About.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why I asked KapeGuy for some input as well. Fine, we can talk about something else ... but what? There's nothing there in regards to this roster right now.

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Front office activity feels about as cold to me as the ground under my feet this morning.

11. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully this speeds up the urgency to get him caped.
    Can you imagine losing Diego to Uruguay and Farrell to Peru, and Herivaux to Haiti?

12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, this was all from memory, so you're probably right. For some reason I had it confused with Harkes, who we got for a 1st round draft pick, but I'm thinking that was the following year. We got RDA from DC, Lalas went to Metros and something went to DC from Metros (maybe their first round pick?) Lalas was with us in 1997, but not 1998. We also lost Francis Okaroh to Chicago in the expansion draft, because we were worried they'd take Paul Keegan.

The point of all of this is to say that we used to make moves, bring in key players and do a lot more stuff in general that would (hopefully) make the club better. You've got to at least try. Now? Um, I guess we're good enough, I mean we can take our chances that the same roster that barely squeaked into the playoffs (but was in contention for the supporters' shield with 3 weeks to go) is good enough.

As I said in the Jones thread, what I fear the most is that the Revs are banking on Jones coming groveling back to take their offer. But if somehow he doesn't and goes somewhere else, then there is no replacement ready to step in. And if they do eventually sign someone, he'll miss a hell of a lot more than the 6 games and whatever Nats games he plays in this year.

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Contrast our activity to Barcelona for example, who registered 77 new players in spite of their transfer ban. When the ban was up, players were ready to go. What's key is even with a treble winning season in 14/15 and UCL final (which they won) coming at the end of their season, it didn't stop them from knowing it's critical they make moves and get better. Wish there was an ounce of that urgency here.

14. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    No Jones or replacement yet
    The talk of Lee in Vietnam seemed to be nothing
    No incoming upgrade players yet

Important dates coming soon (and fast):

15 days away: Feb 3-9: Desert Friendlies with Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Houston, San Jose
    29 days away: Feb 17-27: Desert Diamond Cup with Columbus, RSL, Colorado, Sporting KC, and USL Arizona United
    46 days away: March 6: Opening weekend

15. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I know what you mean, but Diego chose Uruguay (just like Rossi picked Italy). Both were involved in US Nat Youth teams and were clearly valued. Did not know that Herivaux was eligible for Haiti, thanks for that.

I am not sure of Peru's situation, but that may be the best path for Farrell. If Farrell had stayed at Right Back and started to prove out that he was one of the best in the league - JK might have been interested. But other players abroad and within MLS area clearly stronger than Farrell at CB.

Any chance of a Nats, US or Peru, might depend on what Heaps' plan is for Farrell, what Heaps can do to improve Farrell in that position, and what Farrell does with his own play in that position.

BostonRed repped this.
  16. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Given the players on our roster now, should we move away from the 4-2-3-1 formation to get Davies and Agudelo on the field in a strike partnership? We could do that in a 4-4-2 diamond, a flat 4-4-2, or a 3-5-2

Davies-Agudelo
    Nguyen
    Kobayashi-Rowe
    Caldwell
    Tierney-JoGo-Farrell-McCrary
    Shuttleworth

Would Caldwell get physically pushed around as a lone defensive midfielder? Does McCrary provide enough width on the right hand side, or could we put Bunbury at right back?

Davies-Agudelo
    Nguyen-Caldwell-Kobayashi-Rowe
    Tierney-JoGo-Farrell-McCrary
    Shuttleworth

Does Nguyen influence the game enough at left mid? (I think this formation would be the worst choice)

Davies-Agudelo
    Fagundez-Nguyen-Bunbury
    Caldwell-Kobayashi
    Tierney-JoGo-Farrell
    Shuttleworth

OR, play Tierney at left wing with a backline of Barnes, JoGo and Farrell.
    Coin flip between Kobayashi and Neumann as Caldwell's partner.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    500 posts...

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming this is the second signing that Bilello mentioned, since the Revs just put out a snapchat of Sambinha wearing a Revs kit. Not much on wiki about him.

His transfer market page.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That answers one question I had...