[2016 Rio Olympics: Group Stage] Korea vs Mexico 2016/08/10 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Jitevra, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #726 dudedudedude, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Totally! It was so refreshing to watching Son take a more leadership/hyungnim role.
    We are so used to seeing him as the hoobae.

2. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Korean Netizens now finally call him 우리흥 ("our Heung") instead of 느그흥 ("your Heung" to mock people who biased him).

3. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    of course they're motivated; they dont want to go to the military.

if we beat honduras, watch you BSK and netizens calling for STY to be the head coach, like we did with HMB after the 2012 olympics.

chook90 and nmssis repped this.
  4. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    But in the end it was Kwon who lead the team out of this group stage. I saw a Son leader vs Germany but not vs Mexico.

5. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The roadmap to becoming the next KNT manager post Stielike was already set for Shin Tae-yong the moment Lee Yong-soo announced that we'll be going Domestic after the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

chook90 repped this.
  6. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    STY better manage the rising crop of stars i.e. LSW LKI BSH JGH JIB etc properly...

7. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    My problem with the K-League that it is unprofessional, sub-standard and the quality of the players it produces has not improved since its inception. As a matter of fact, I'd even argue that it has deteriorated. There are way too many clubs, too many players and not enough demand. It's purely a tax-haven for larger corporations and a waste of tax dollars for these city-owned clubs. Being the best league in Asia is saying that it's just less shite than the rest of the shite pack. At the end of the day, the K-League is just shite and the fans are corny as hell. Frente Tricolore? Please.

8. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Again. Who cares? We got two boys playing in Barca B and it seems that Lee Sueng-woo will be a permanent Barca B player, regardless.

9. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Financially is all that it matters. The EPL won't win a Champions League title any time soon but it's the most profitable league in the world. This is all that matters.

10. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Unlikely. And U-23 is way too old for scouts to care. What we need to realize is while Koreans (AFC) considers U-23 a semi-professional (유망주) level, players in that age bracket in Europe are considered veterans. A 23-year old footballer (except those on Arsenal) in most European clubs are considered regulars and play for their national teams. European scouts would have all the data they need. If things were up to me, I would not send a scout to the Olympics. I'd spend that money at U-19 and the U-17 levels instead. What's the point of scouting Lars Bender?

11. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Exactly. K-League level is probably mid to low level Championship, no more. I can't think of a single player that would be a regular starter for a EPL side.

12. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    You see, this is my problem in hiring coaches. There is no standard, no quantitative and qualitative analysis behind a decision. To be fair, the rest of the world is poor at this (especially England) but it is an expectation that the FA constantly manages a list of coaches that fit a selection of criterion. What criteria did Lee Yong-soo think about when hiring Hitler? Certainly not the quality of the clubs he's managed or the experience that he has. Lee Yong-soo probably though he just "felt" like a good fit, without going through some rigorous analysis. This is the same problem we have with Shin Tae-yong. He "feels" like a great fit but nobody can explain why. Is Shin really a great coach?

13. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He's not great but he's a decent Domestic candidate for the KNT imo, at least if you were to compare it to the selection of Hong Myung-bo in 2013, it makes much more sense and I don't think the other Domestic managers would want to take the job anyway, well except maybe Hwangsae since he did say that he wants to coach the KNT but when the time is right.

14. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Saw that too, surprised NBC gave our boys some love since the video was mostly dominated by Americans and the obligatory Usain Bolt clip.

15. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Probably cuz we beat Mexico.

16. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    LSW isn't a permanent player and the fact remains that these kids aren't proven. Its not like LSW dominated at the AFC youth tourney a few months ago. And PSH looks not even cut out for Barca B as he looks like he might get loaned out to catch up to that moderate level of football.

We have kids based in Europe who are older, more experienced, and playing a higher level of football successfully than Barca B, and even they didn't make the cut.

The Barcelona credentials over most other programs are good but they're not that good as the lack of breakthroughs of similarly highly touted guys like Deulofeu who has flashed but more frustration than success show that even Barcelona has struggled lately to make finished product out of talent, and that even Barcelona kids need time to adapt to higher levels of play. That problem is even more compounded while Barca B is stuck in 3rd tier and why Barcelona is letting good kids at risk in the effort to get them promoted.

Expecting product from 18 year old kids against pros four and five years older, let alone at NT level, and particularly kids who haven't played at Barcelona much over past two years would be a low probability of success.

GoYoungrokba repped this.
  17. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    if lee seungwoo becomes a regular for barcelona b and shows up to perform the next time hes called up to the national team (u19,u20,u22,whatever) it might not hurt to give him a run during a senior team friendly. i still prefer that kfa take time with him though. he missed out on a ton of playing time the past few years give him time to catch up a little

Deleted Users and killaorca repped this.
  18. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    There are scout from low-medium side in the big leagues or top sides in minor leagues such as Ajax, PSV, Porto, Benfica ecc.

They even scout the AFC under 23 championship, wich say something...

19. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    That's the main point so many people don't get: A 18 years old kid would be eaten alive at NT level, playing against pro footballers.

It's not that LSW vs Iran would do so much difference. Hell, not even against China would.

20. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think kids can do it but he needs the learning experience of first team football at club level.

Until then, he's young and playing at best in third division.

21. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ohh that just clicked for me.

"I'm not a smart man.."

22. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Nah. Lee Sueng-woo has been assraping B-Ball. Got called up again. And come January, he has no choice but to play B-Ball because of his age limit.

...like who? Please enlighten me.

What are you talking about? Delafeu would be an all-time KNT allstar lolololol. What more do you want?!

There is no problem with Barca B getting stuck in Division 3. This is an assumption that the K-League is better than third-division Spanish ball, which is fueled by pride, not reason. This same Barca B side destroyed the senior Al Wahda team. How many K-League clubs will be able to do that in the ACL?

To think that the K-League is better than a major European second-tier or third-tier ball is simply delusional. Player for player, can we honestly say that our senior NT side is better than a German U-23 side? Or even U-19? You've watched these Olympic games - were our regular NT players like Kwon Chang-hoon or Jang Hyun-soo better than German or even Mexican players?

Expectations. You bring up a good point.

I expect an 18 year-old to compete for a spot at the senior NT level. I do not expect an 18 year-old to play highschool or even college ball. This is precisely why we get dominated at every major international tournament in terms of the level of play and individual skill level.

And, I've made this point a number of times where you've simply ignored it but we've also had an army of 18-19 year-olds playing senior level NT ball in the past:

- Ki Sung-yong
    - Lee Dong-guk
    - Lee Chung-yong
    - Lee Chun-soo
    - Choi Tae-uk
    - Cha Bum-guen
    - Choi Sung-guk
    - Jung Jo-guk

The list goes on and on.

Shall I continue? You should really set your expectations higher.

23. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    - Ki Sung-yong
    - Lee Dong-guk
    - Lee Chung-yong
    - Lee Chun-soo
    - Choi Tae-uk
    - Cha Bum-guen
    - Choi Sung-guk
    - Jung Jo-guk

24. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Agree - for domestic level, Shin isn't bad. He may be even great.

But that's not good enough.

We've got players that are getting pointers from Luis Enrique. They're supposed to listen to Shin?

25. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Yes. We need to get our younger, more promising players on the NT level sooner than later. The argument that the NT level isn't about youth development is delusional. The NT needs to be focused on long term plans, rather than short-term ones. It's customary to find major nations subbing in their younger players the last ten minutes; these kids got a spot on the bench over players that are considered more experienced - was that really because these kids were better than and more experienced over an in-depth pool of players these nations have? Absolutely not.