2016 Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'Indy Eleven' started by jeffcoop, Feb 15, 2016.

1. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a winter of upheaval, the Eleven start their 2016 preseason today with team meetings and physicals. They'll work here for a couple of weeks, then head to Arizona for the beginning of March.

The preseason squad is largely set (with the presumed signing of Dino Williams still to be announced). And it's a very different team from last year. A few 2015 stalwarts return--Mares, Ring, Franco, Miller--but none is assured a starting spot; the other returning players were largely role players last year (some in larger roles than others) and are likely to remain so this year (with the possible exception of Janicki, whom Hankinson may have pencilled in for a starting role). The team, in short, is likely to be unrecognizable from last year (except for the kit) when the season opens. But, given last year's results, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I've been listening to Hankinson's appearances on Soccer Saturday, and there's no question that he talks a great game. Time to see what he can put into practice.

USAsports6 and The One X repped this.
  2. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USAsports6 repped this.
  3. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am excited about the defense we've built up but the key to this season will be improving the dreadful attack we've become used to seeing. Ubi, Zayed, Braun, and (possibly) Dino Williams are probably the favorites to start at the attacking positions so hopefully they can have some success.

jeffcoop repped this.
  4. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so too. On paper, at least, they certainly look like upgrades on what we had last year (although it's worth remembering that when the season began last year many of us, myself included, still had hopes that Rugg would develop. The only one of the four you name that I've actually seen is Ubi; as for the rest, well, I'm cautiously optimistic, but there are no sure things here.

USAsports6 repped this.
  5. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. spidermonkey317

Oct 1, 2013
    Montana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I like the moves that have been made, but I'm not totally sold yet. I guess we'll see how it all works out on the pitch.

USAsports6 and jeffcoop repped this.
  7. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the training notes and Zayed apparently scored 3 times while Justin Braun was impressive attacking as well. Gives me some hope that our attack will be improved but it is just training.

Also, Dino Williams is apparently training with the team already despite not being signed. (Assuming that it is Dino Williams who we will be signing here soon.)

jeffcoop repped this.
  8. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda excited about preseason and the USL match-ups along with the last game against IU. Hope things go well.

9. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any minute now ...

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 2.28.12 PM.png

USAsports6 repped this.
  10. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jeffcoop repped this.
  11. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On paper, at least, I'm feeling really good about this team. Certainly, it has to be better than last year.

The One X and USAsports6 repped this.
  12. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree this team is looking strong on paper. I think you can definitely tell Ersal has opened up the checkbook a bit. I really don't see a glaring weakness on the team. I'm really excited for the Zayed addition and I think he'll bag a good amount of goals. Braun and Williams/Lacroix look strong on the wings right now, I think Braun in particular is in for a strong season. Ubiparipovic will pay dividends for the attack as well. Our defense is looking incredibly strong as well, that should definitely be the strength of the team.

jeffcoop repped this.
  13. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Yeah, the results of exhibition games are rarely very telling. Typically both teams are trying things out, and coaches are testing out different combinations of players. Makes the results rather random. This is especially true when you consider the other side has a lot more experience together, and most likely viewing it more as a chance to get experience against better competition than a chance to try out new looks.

jeffcoop repped this.
  15. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't we lose like 2-0 last season to IU too?

16. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't remember, but boy, wouldn't that have been a sign of things to come?

Best news of the match probably is that Zayed did what he's supposed to do: he scored.

17. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 jeffcoop, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    It's just preseason, it's just preseason. It's the new squad's first 11-on-11 match. The whole team changed at the half. Losing 3-0 to the Furries still stings a bit.

Edited to add: The Mets lost their preseason opener to the Nationals today, 8-1, and I'm completely unconcerned about that. I need to adopt the same attitude with regard to the Eleven.

18. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defeated Arizona United 4-0 today

jeffcoop and The One X repped this.
  19. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A preseason win means little, just as a preseason loss means little. But it's still nice to get a win under our belts.

A hat-trick for Woj and a goal for Lacroix. And we now know the identity of a trialist: Harvard midfielder Mike Klain, who assisted Woj's first goal. I assume the situation here is somewhat like was Lacroix's was last year: Klain is a college senior and presumably intends to finish his degree, as Lacroix did last spring before signing on for the fall season. I don't know if Klain is regarded as highly as Lacroix was, however. It seems unlikely, as he doesn't seem to have Lacroix's collegiate credentials.

Final game in Arizona this evening, against Orange County Blues.

The One X repped this.
  20. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news: Indy apparently thoroughly dominated the second half. The bad news: despite that dominance, Indy failed dot score, the second time they've been shut out in three games in Arizona. Indy 0-1 Orange County.

21. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another disappointing result over the weekend, as Indy drew 1-1 with Cincinnati. The good news: Zayed scored on a nice cross from Lacroix (who seems to be having a good spring). And of course results here don't matter, ultimately. Still, it would have been nice to prevail against a lower-division expansion team.

22. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, im now officially concerned. The portion of the preseason schedule against professional opposition is now over, and of six such games we won one, lost three, and drew two. We were shut out them tee times and scores more than one only once. I know we have a new squad, and they need to learn how to play together. But that doesn't explain or excuse anloss to St. Loyis, an expansion team from a supposedly lower division.

Two more games against college teams, and then the opener.

23. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At last, a win, as the Eleven defeated Butler, 1-0. The good news: (a) the team maintained a clean sheet, and (2) Zayed scored again (if he continues at his current pace through the regular season, he'll set team scoring records). The bad news: it was college opposition, so you'd expect a team of professionals to prevail. Still, better than losing (or drawing). Onward.

24. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And so the preseason ends, not with a bang, but with a whimper: a 0-0 draw at the University of Louisville. With the team playing just 48 hours after the Butler game, Hankinson didn't field his strongest lineup; indeed, the team had a distinct 2015 feel, with Cardona, Miller, Ring, Mares, Lacroix, and Woj all starting. Cardona seems to have done well, and a clean sheet is always good. Nevertheless, even with a weakened lineup, a draw against a collegiate team is always disappointing.

It has to be said at this point that there are serious questions about the team's preparedness or the regular season.

USAsports6 repped this.
  25. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully we dispel those concerns with a win week 1 :)